Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2018, 11:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chanteau
State: Arizona
THOR #12515
Towing behind an RV question

We have a 2019 Chateau E31, and a Toyota forerunner and a Toyota Tacoma. The dealer told us we can’t tow either of them due to they are front wheel drive. I’ve heard you can disconnect the drive shaft, but that would be a pain. The wife don’t like the idea of a trailer big enough to carry one of them, keeping all four wheels off the ground. But we met a fellow camper who has a front wheel drive car and they use a dolly and tow it backwards. We’d love to have a second vehicle with us but not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts?

Old 08-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeroe66 View Post
We have a 2019 Chateau E31, and a Toyota forerunner and a Toyota Tacoma. The dealer told us we can’t tow either of them due to they are front wheel drive. I’ve heard you can disconnect the drive shaft, but that would be a pain. The wife don’t like the idea of a trailer big enough to carry one of them, keeping all four wheels off the ground. But we met a fellow camper who has a front wheel drive car and they use a dolly and tow it backwards. We’d love to have a second vehicle with us but not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts?
If it's a front wheel drive then they should be towing it with the front wheels on the dolly.
We tow a Smart Car which is rear wheel drive. We back it onto the dolly.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:43 PM   #3

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
I towed with a dolly for a short time, but it got old real quick. I purchased a 2014 Fiat 500 4 door manual shift for $9,000 and have never regretted it.

I hated having to get on the ground and hook up each tire and then get under the car and hook up a safety chain. When I completed these tasks, I needed a shower.

Once when I was removing my 2010 Honda Insight from the dolly the front ground trim caught somewhere and pulled loose (and it was raining). That was the final straw.

Now, my wife can hook up the Fiat in 5 minutes and we are read to go down the road. Also, very easy to disconnect when you arrive at your campsite.

If you can find a way, tow 4 down.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:47 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
My experience is the same as Rickymac. Hated the toe dolly. But, big expense to purchase different vehicle just so you can tow four down. Some people on the forum don’t tow. Instead they rent a vehicle when they get to their destination.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:52 PM   #5

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #10499
The Tacoma and 4-Runner are 4WD or rear wheel drive. Which means there is a possibility of towing them with the transfer case in neutral. Check your owner's manuals and they should tell you the requirements for towing your vehicles. I wouldn't rely on the dealer for that information, remember they are salesmen.
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:10 AM   #6

Model: 26HE
THOR #12744
All Tacomas are RWD and require either a driveshaft disconnect or transmission lube pump. Even the four wheel drives. I have a Tacoma and would prefer to tow, but leaning towards getting either a Ford Fiesta or Focus.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:15 AM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
RUN! Run quickly and far, far away from the individual that said those vehicles were front wheel drive.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:00 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
im interested in this also. my dad left me his 2004 Tacoma 4WD. (the last year with stick transfer case WITH NEUTRAL) everyone is saying to disconnect the driveshaft.

its either the 4WD truck or Prius. i'd prefer the truck as if it breaks it's cheaper/older/simpler. it's not a jeep cherokee but it's what i got and and some one said: i dont want to buy another vehicle just to flat tow.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #9

Model: 26HE
THOR #12744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
im interested in this also. my dad left me his 2004 Tacoma 4WD. (the last year with stick transfer case WITH NEUTRAL) everyone is saying to disconnect the driveshaft.

its either the 4WD truck or Prius. i'd prefer the truck as if it breaks it's cheaper/older/simpler. it's not a jeep cherokee but it's what i got and and some one said: i dont want to buy another vehicle just to flat tow.
Your 2004 might not need a disconnect. As long as it has the manual transfer case. Every thread that I have seen that discussed Tacomas talks about 2007 or 2008 and newer trucks requiring a driveshaft disconnect. Mine is a 2008. When did they stop making the 1st Gen trucks?

Put in your specs on this website: http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php
Old 08-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #10

THOR #12515
I guess you could call it a manual transfer case. It has a switch on the dash but it seems to be electronic. Just read a motor home article that said to check Car owners manual plus if the web site from “Blue Ox” tow bars lists cars that are towable. Going to check the car manuals when we get home.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Definitely go by the owners manual. There may be other steps to take. We have a 2005 Jeep Liberty that requires the transfer case to be in Neutral and the transmission to be in Park. Ignition has an Off position that allows power to 12 volt plug. Some Ford 4WD with the electronic switch for the transfer case cannot be towed 4 down. But with the actual manual lever they can. Each model is different.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
Your 2004 might not need a disconnect. As long as it has the manual transfer case. Every thread that I have seen that discussed Tacomas talks about 2007 or 2008 and newer trucks requiring a driveshaft disconnect. Mine is a 2008. When did they stop making the 1st Gen trucks?

Put in your specs on this website: Store : Remco
so i put my specs in. IF i put in automatic (witch it is) i get this:
"This vehicle will need a drive shaft coupling (disconnect) to be towed with all four wheels on the ground. Remco Industries no longer sells the Drive Shaft Coupling (Disconnect)."

if i put in stick shift:
" Vehicle can be flat towed if it contains a Manual Transfer Case. Follow procedures in Owner's Manual to flat tow correctly. If vehicle has an Electronic Transfer Case then it will require A Drive Shaft Coupling (Disconnect) to tow. Remco Industries no longer sells the Drive Shaft Coupling."

it has 2 levers in it. 1 auto tranny the other is the transfer case. i have electronic 4WD (button selects between 2H and 4H) but for 4L i have to move the lever to neutral and then to 4L. moving the lever automatically pushes the button too.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since we're selling our Spyder (); we'll be looking for a new Toad.
Preferable one that can be towed "Four-Down".

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1534702254
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toad.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	12339  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
Wait a second didnt u buy the outlaw FOR the spyder?
Old 08-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Well any of the Ford Hybrids: C-Max Hybrid or Energi, Fusion Hybrid or Energi, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, and the Focus can be towed 4 down.

In addition the Energi models would offer you 20 miles of EV driving (You can charge up at the 15A, or, with the proper setup, using the 50A socket).

Most of the time with our C-Max we were on electricity only doing sightseeing near the campgrounds when we brought it (haven't towed the Bolt anywhere yet, but it isn't 4-down towable).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #16

THOR #12515
Just checked my 4Runner manual NO Towing, and my 2 wheel Tacoma is rear wheel so I could but have to tow it backwards with the front wheels off the ground.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
Wait a second didnt u buy the outlaw FOR the spyder?
A long and woeful tale...
After waiting 8 Months to get it: my vision had deteriorated to the point where I don't feel comfortable riding it anymore...

After 53 years: Type I Diabetes can start to become a real pain in my nether regions!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Just checked my 4Runner manual NO Towing, and my 2 wheel Tacoma is rear wheel so I could but have to tow it backwards with the front wheels off the ground.
That makes absolutely no sense.. If you tow it backwards how are the front wheels going to be off the ground?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:43 PM   #19

THOR #12515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
That makes absolutely no sense.. If you tow it backwards how are the front wheels going to be off the ground?

Sorry I meant rear wheels off the ground, guess I am a little dyslexic too.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:33 AM   #20

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1534702254
Dude! Sorry to hear that!