Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2022, 12:09 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
Make sure to read your owners manual for a GM vehicle.
Power disconnect, steering wheel unlock and trany are all very different and not common to each vehicle.

Old 10-13-2022, 12:17 AM   #42

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I actually changed my mind and went with the Stay & Play Duo with the Blue Ox Base Plate and Blue Ox Alpha tow bar. The Demco Stay & Play Duo is being installed this week. Looking forward to using it later this year.

Paul
Old 10-13-2022, 09:47 PM   #43

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I actually changed my mind and went with the Stay & Play Duo with the Blue Ox Base Plate and Blue Ox Alpha tow bar. The Demco Stay & Play Duo is being installed this week. Looking forward to using it later this year.

Paul

It is an excellent brake system. Super easy to use and one of the few that offers proportional braking.
Old 10-26-2022, 03:44 PM   #44

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minh Nguyen View Post
Hi,
We have a class C, 2020 Thor Freedom Elite FE.
We recently purchased a 2022 jeep wrangler two door. And we would like to tow it with us. I think the jeep is flat towable.
Can you please recommend us what to buy if we want to tow it. Something that is easy to hookup and release. Our class V already have a hitch.
Thanks in advance.
If your Jeep is a 4 wheel drive with a transfer case that can be set in neutral, it can be flat towed. If you are not sure go to a Jeep dealer and ask.

As for equipment I just had Camping World install the tow equipment on my 2020 Jeep Gladiator. This was more expensive than what it will cost for your wrangler because the Gladiator weighs more than your Jeep. here's the is what I installed.

Roadmaster Direct connect baseplate Abt $500.00
Roadmaster Invisibrake Abt $1000.00
Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar Abt $1400.00
Wiring for towed tail/brake/turn lights don't remember the cost of this.
Safety cables
Connector cable for Jeep lights and Braking.
All told the installed parts and labor cost was about $6,000.00

Of course you could save a lot by doing it yourself it you are mechanically inclined and confident in your skill in doing the installation correctly.
Also, you could get by with a less expensive towbar. You will not need an 8,000 lb. rated towbar to tow a wrangler.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #45
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
If your Jeep is a 4 wheel drive with a transfer case that can be set in neutral, it can be flat towed. If you are not sure go to a Jeep dealer and ask.

As for equipment I just had Camping World install the tow equipment on my 2020 Jeep Gladiator. This was more expensive than what it will cost for your wrangler because the Gladiator weighs more than your Jeep. here's the is what I installed.

Safety cables

Of course you could save a lot by doing it yourself it you are mechanically inclined and confident in your skill in doing the installation correctly.
Also, you could get by with a less expensive towbar. You will not need an 8,000 lb. rated towbar to tow a wrangler.

NO! never trust a mouthpiece at a dealer.

You want the procedure in writing should anything ever go wrong. The place to find the answer and procedure is in your Owners Manual.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:51 PM   #46
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"NO! never trust a mouthpiece at a dealer."

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1666803081
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	33
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	39901  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #47

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
NO! never trust a mouthpiece at a dealer.

You want the procedure in writing should anything ever go wrong. The place to find the answer and procedure is in your Owners Manual.

I DID NOT SAY "Talk to a Salsman" The only place to get those answers if you do not have the owner's manual is the service department. Even if you do have the owner's manual the manuals can sometimes be confusing. In my experience all reputable dealer shops will help you and make sure you understand the procedure for towing.

Old 10-26-2022, 09:58 PM   #48
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I DID NOT SAY "Talk to a Salsman" The only place to get those answers if you do not have the owner's manual is the service department. Even if you do have the owner's manual the manuals can sometimes be confusing. In my experience all reputable dealer shops will help you and make sure you understand the procedure for towing.
So you think the Service Writer or the mechanic they hired last week is a reliable source? Too many stories of misinformation from dealers, including the service department. If you don't have it in writing from an official source at the manufacturer then you're out on a limb with no assistance when it all goes wrong.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:37 PM   #49

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
So you think the Service Writer or the mechanic they hired last week is a reliable source? Too many stories of misinformation from dealers, including the service department. If you don't have it in writing from an official source at the manufacturer then you're out on a limb with no assistance when it all goes wrong.
+1.. Ford towed my RV to a place for warranty repair on the word of a service writer that they worked on motorhomes... turned out to be 100% wrong. Couldn't get that right, I wouldn't trust anything a service writer says.

Even the owners manuals can be wrong, current (downloaded from Jeep a few months ago) JK Wrangler manual is wrong on flat towing, says you need to leave the key in and ignition on. Wranglers haven't had steering locks since 2009.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:29 AM   #50
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

Safety cables

Installation cost is not based on weight of the TOAD.

Misinformation at its finest.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:44 AM   #51

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Installation cost is not based on weight of the TOAD.

Misinformation at its finest.
But the cost of the towbar is. A towbar rated for a vehicle weighing over 5000# will cost more than one for a 2500# vehicle.

Old 10-27-2022, 12:59 AM   #52

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
My TJ manual was accurate. Don't know about the newer Wranglers... I'm guessing discrepancies can come from a manual vs automatic gearbox. Regardless, attention to detail is of UTMOST importance. Otherwise your drivetrain can turn to confetti and possibly cost more to repair than the Jeep is worth.

I would urge anyone planning to tow 4-down to do extensive research... read MANY forums, watch YouTube videos... DO NOT trust one source as Gospel.

I discovered a lot about my Wrangler in my research... such as there are pins in the ignition switch that wear, allowing the key to be removed while the engine is running. Just like my dad's '64 Impala back in the day!
Old 10-27-2022, 01:29 AM   #53

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
When we bought our 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk to use as the motorhome's toad, all the information needed to assess whether the model was 4 down towable was available on the Jeep website. Including that it didn't need a separate wiring harness to alleviate the dreaded "Death Wobble"
After purchasing the SUV new we then had the owner's manual to confirm that information. In fact, I had the sales goober get the manual and read the 4 down towing procedures for the Cherokee before we signed for the car.
If a vehicle is towable the mfgr has the procedure written down. If you don't have it I wouldn't tow it. My .02
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:07 AM   #54

THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Including that it didn't need a separate wiring harness to alleviate the dreaded "Death Wobble"
What does a wiring harness have to do with death wobble?
Old 10-27-2022, 03:07 AM   #55
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
The original "Electric Assist" steering was found to be the cause of the original Jeep death wobble. The special harness was supposedly the cure.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #56

THOR #27334
Quote:
The original "Electric Assist" steering was found to be the cause of the original Jeep death wobble. The special harness was supposedly the cure.
AFAIK the "original" death wobble goes back to wranglers in the 70's and worn out front suspension combined with poorly engineered lifts...
Old 10-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #57

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
The Jeep Cherokee KL series was introduced in 2014 and was/is listed as a 4 down towable vehicle. Early on owners towing the Cherokee reported a wobble when the toad went over certain ruts or RR tracks. The front wheels would wobble back and forth causing the car & motorhome to shake uncontrollably till the driver stopped the rig. Jeep engineers discovered the electric power steering needed to be energized to eliminate the Death Wobble. An aftermarket wiring harness was added to energize the power steering. Early model years Jeep ate the cost of the harness as they advertised the vehicle as 4 down towable. Later model years the owner had to eat the cost as the fine print in the owner's manual said the car had to have the aftermarket harness added to be able 4 down tow.
The 2019 model year Jeep had added the harness to the Cherokee as standard equipment, and it was no longer needed. We have towed our Cherokee over 8000 miles with no issues.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #58

THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
The Jeep Cherokee KL series was introduced in 2014 and was/is listed as a 4 down towable vehicle. Early on owners towing the Cherokee reported a wobble when the toad went over certain ruts or RR tracks. The front wheels would wobble back and forth causing the car & motorhome to shake uncontrollably till the driver stopped the rig. Jeep engineers discovered the electric power steering needed to be energized to eliminate the Death Wobble. An aftermarket wiring harness was added to energize the power steering. Early model years Jeep ate the cost of the harness as they advertised the vehicle as 4 down towable. Later model years the owner had to eat the cost as the fine print in the owner's manual said the car had to have the aftermarket harness added to be able 4 down tow.
The 2019 model year Jeep had added the harness to the Cherokee as standard equipment, and it was no longer needed. We have towed our Cherokee over 8000 miles with no issues.
Thanks for the details.. it's amazing how many different 'death wobbles' Jeep has created.. sheesh. You'd think they'd figure this out...