Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ Shalaby View Post
I appreciate the feedback and still considering both options, I looked to installing a tow plate on a vehicle but it looks like you have to dismantle the entire front end to get to the frame then there is the lights etc. which is why a tow dolly seemed easier from not having a particle car to tow. fortunately i'm capable and physically able to move things around, but i can see the hassle of a tow dolly vs direct tow.

does anyone have a good resource to look at for installing a tow plate? maybe the video i watched was not for the faint of heart.
Etrailer has some good installation videos for almost all vehicles plus the baseplate manufacturer gives you good step-by-step instructions with pictures (at least Roadmaster does). If you are comfortable wrenching on a car you should be able to do it yourself even if you have never removed a front cowling before. You may need some physical assistance when it's time to actually remove and install the cowling, not because it's heavy, it's just big, flimsy, and awkward.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:58 PM   #22

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Etrailer has some good installation videos for almost all vehicles plus the baseplate manufacturer gives you good step-by-step instructions with pictures (at least Roadmaster does). If you are comfortable wrenching on a car you should be able to do it yourself even if you have never removed a front cowling before. You may need some physical assistance when it's time to actually remove and install the cowling, not because it's heavy, it's just big, flimsy, and awkward.

I agree. With a good video (free from etrailer) any decent shade tree mechanic should be able to handle the installation. I recently did the baseplate, lights and a “permanent” braking system on my Spark. It was an interesting and fun project that took me about 8 hours all in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3620.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	33008  
Old 08-25-2021, 06:23 PM   #23

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Texas
THOR #12021
While my van is approved for front towing, it is scary watching it on the master tow dolly. The front tires bounce around, maybe because the steering does not lock on it? We haven't felt entirely comfortable towing it (also behind a 30FE). So we have been driving both.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:47 PM   #24
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileCorgi View Post
While my van is approved for front towing, it is scary watching it on the master tow dolly. The front tires bounce around, maybe because the steering does not lock on it? We haven't felt entirely comfortable towing it (also behind a 30FE). So we have been driving both.
How can the front tires "bounce around" if they are properly strapped to the tow dolly?

Either the steering wheel has to be unlocked or the tow dolly has to have a swivel plate to dolly tow, so that can't be an issue.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #25

State: New York
THOR #21344
Towing question

I am looking to tow a motorcycle trailer with my 40’ class A, question is can I back up as with any other type of tow vehicle? Or is is easier to just disconnect the trailer first… I know it’s not advisable when flat towing a vehicle or on a dolly? anyone have a suggestions?
Thanks
Old 08-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #26

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
ACE is right on

Straps do have to be tightened after a few miles

Double straps are best

I tow the F150 flat or the Escape on a Stehl dolly depending on the destination

Flat is definitely less effort
Old 08-25-2021, 07:25 PM   #27

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
One thing I failed to mention earlier - - More than once with the dolly, we had to do all that setup/breakdown routine in pouring rain on muddy terrain. Not fun.
Also very low temps with wind chill around zero. Also our dolly blew a tire. Not going thru that again. Last year we had a very abrupt stop with the motor home which the flat tow handled very well and I’m convinced we would have had a major problem if we had still been using the dolly even though it had the appropriate brakes.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred552 View Post
I am looking to tow a motorcycle trailer with my 40’ class A, question is can I back up as with any other type of tow vehicle? Or is is easier to just disconnect the trailer first… I know it’s not advisable when flat towing a vehicle or on a dolly? anyone have a suggestions?
Thanks
Tow the trailer and back it up just like any other tow vehicle. It may back slightly differently due to the rear overhang (40'? DP?) but the principles are the same.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
For me, a base plate for just over 600 bucks and a Saturday's work beats the tow dolly. I have been using the same tow bar since 1999 and the base plates are easily installed on most cars. With a dolly, it's another piece of equipment that needs maintenance and a place to store.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #30

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
One thing I failed to mention earlier - - More than once with the dolly, we had to do all that setup/breakdown routine in pouring rain on muddy terrain. Not fun.
Exactly the reason we sold our Mastertow dolly and toad, bought a 6 speed Mini Cooper, and tow it 4 down without the hassle. After driving for hours in the rain and finding a loose tie down strap has been dragging on the wet road was more than an annoyance.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:41 PM   #31

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
I've dolly towed and flat towed and agree setup is easier flat towing but all the equipment required can cost considerably more. One consideration for a person trying to decided is how often do you travel? If you are a snowbird and move twice a year, a dolly may make more sense. If on the other hand you travel frequently and don't stay in any location for very long, flat towing can make more sense.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:17 PM   #32

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Tow dolly or flat towing each has advantages and disadvantages. Set up is quicker with flat towing or dolly towing. Your own physical abilities is another concern. Tow dolly setting up has it's challenges requiring strapping down the two front tires and adding the undercarriage safety chains. Flat towing is just a matter of hooking up the tow bar and going(more or less). A tow dolly is cheaper on the initial purchase. There is some maintenance required for tow dolly use(tires/lube/straps). It depends on what you are able and comfortable doing. I just started using a tow dolly and am getting quicker at the set up each time. I also developed a master check list to be sure I don't forget doing anything required for safety when using the tow dolly. It makes set up much easier and everything is done right each time.

Paul
Old 08-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #33

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Tow dolly or flat towing each has advantages and disadvantages. Set up is quicker with flat towing or dolly towing. Your own physical abilities is another concern. Tow dolly setting up has it's challenges requiring strapping down the two front tires and adding the undercarriage safety chains. Flat towing is just a matter of hooking up the tow bar and going(more or less). A tow dolly is cheaper on the initial purchase. There is some maintenance required for tow dolly use(tires/lube/straps). It depends on what you are able and comfortable doing. I just started using a tow dolly and am getting quicker at the set up each time. I also developed a master check list to be sure I don't forget doing anything required for safety when using the tow dolly. It makes set up much easier and everything is done right each time.

Paul
For dolly tow to save the hassle of climbing under to put safety chains, most modern cars have a tow hook receptacle behind the front bumper. Thats what a wrecker would use to secure it if necessary. There's a 2" square cover over it that you thread the tow hook into. It goes into the frame. You can get one at a dealer. When we towed the GF's Escape, that what I got for it.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:18 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We just throw ours onto a trailer...
Several reasons:
We always have a use for a utility trailer anyway.
and...
This means that it a car fits on the trailer: we can drag it along.

We aren't tied down to a specific list of "towables".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #35

State: Missouri
THOR #24505
Try U-Haul

We're in the same situation with just purchasing a 24.1 Vegas. Nether of our other vehicles can be towed 4 wheels down, and we don't want to trade (both paid for). After a weekend trip, I think the V-10 motor is strong enough to tow our Buick Enclave on a dolly, so we're going to rent one from U-Haul for a weekend trip just to see how everything does here in the Ozarks.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #36

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #22773
Here is what I have done