Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2016, 01:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Towing Vehicle on trailer

I would appreciate any advice on towing a vehicle on a trailer. I have a 2013 Kia that cannot be towed four down. We are considering an aluminum trailer to pull with our 2016 Miramar V-10. Any performance advice handling Braking etc. would be appreciated thank you

Old 07-25-2016, 02:37 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I have been researching this topic myself and trying to come to a final decision but this my top choice so far. The hydraulic disc brakes are a big selling point for me.

Hydraulic Disc Brake Car Dolly - Car Tow Dolly
Old 07-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
Why a trailer? It just adds weight to your load, you have to store it at home and at your camp site and they tend to be cumbersome when moving by hand. I am going with an acme ez tow with surge breaks for our Kia Optima.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #4

THOR #3584
I will research the ez tow, thank you
Old 07-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We have the Acme Tow Dolly (ez tow). If you have any questions ask:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #6

THOR #3584
The problem with our vehicle is it is All Wheel Drive and cannot be towed, that is the reason we were considering a trailer.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I was originally considering a trailer as the vehicle I had at the time wasn't supposed to be towable (Focus Electric). After looking around I decided it was easier to go with a dolly and not bring the Focus with us (saving $$ and 800+ lbs in the process--The Focus sitting on an aluminum trailer would have been very close to max weight).

In the end: The Focus could be towed (I tried it with the dolly and it worked fine even though the owner's manual forbade it) and the lease was up; so I got the C-Max (which can be flat towed). Of course in the picture above you see neither vehicle being towed: That is my wife's Escape FWD which is perfectly happy on the dolly (and as a bonus matches the Axis' color scheme!).
Old 07-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #1532
I tow on a trailer due to the nature of what I tow. I currently tow on a steel trailer. I had an aluminum trailer for a while. Aluminum trailers are great when it comes to weight but they tend to get stress cracks.

When you get to a campground, unless you have a really long drive-through, the trailer is a pain. My suggestion is to call ahead and see if they have room for you to park the trailer to the side. You'll need a trailer hitch on your Kia to move the trailer around, at least that's my suggestion. It's hard to maneuver a trailer with the RV, especially if it's in a tight spot.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:24 PM   #9

THOR #3584
That's what I am I thought about being a pain to park. Don't want to purchase a new wrangler for 40K + If I do get an aluminum trailer it will be used for snow birding. Arrive at the destination, unload and not have to deal it with for 2 months.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
That's what I am I thought about being a pain to park. Don't want to purchase a new wrangler for 40K + If I do get an aluminum trailer it will be used for snow birding. Arrive at the destination, unload and not have to deal it with for 2 months.
If you will rarely use the trailer, have you considered renting?

Local renting is fairly inexpensive; although I expect one-way drop-off charges "may" get expensive. And of course total weight has to be considered -- I'd feel better with an 8,000-pound receiver since 5,000-pound may not be enough.

Just food for thought .... particularly since I don't know your circumstances. Renting may also give you the opportunity to evaluate whether a trailer is really what you want or expect it to be.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I would think 2 months of renting would get rather expensive.

Edit: You mean renting the trailer. Probably a good idea: Rent a 1-way U-haul as long as the unit has the 8,000 lb hitch (and can safely tow that much) that would be a good option.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

THOR #1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
Buy an XJ Cherokee 4x4 used. I bought one for $1900 and one for $3500 (yes, I own two XJs and the TJ you see on the trailer). Admittedly, they've gone up since then, but you can find bargains. They flat tow great. Nobody NEEDS a $40k JK Wrangler, just some WANT them. If you go down that route, stick to 1997-2001. 98-99 are the best years, IMO.

A trailer is going to cost more than that.

There are some bargains to be had on Grand Cherokees too, particularly the WJ platform. 1999-2004. I'm just a fan of the XJ style and reliability.

Sometimes you can even find them already set up for towing. They were/are very popular toads.