Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2020, 12:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
TPMS - Ignorance is bliss?

Hi All,
I just added an RVI brake and TPMS system.

My the yellow sticker has my recommended tire pressure at 82 for all tires, front and back.
I was stunned at the pressure rise while driving on the freeway. BTW - It was about 80-85 degrees outside.

Rather than hijacking another thread, I was hoping to get some feedback on what is a normal rise in pressure.
Thanks All!

Old 11-19-2020, 01:06 AM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: Michigan
THOR #20386
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordSanClemente View Post
Hi All,

My the yellow sticker has my recommended tire pressure at 82 for all tires, front and back.
I was stunned at the pressure rise while driving on the freeway. BTW - It was about 80-85 degrees outside.

Rather than hijacking another thread, I was hoping to get some feedback on what is a normal rise in pressure.
Thanks All!
Air pressure in a tire will change 1 psi for every 10 degree of temperature change. That is why it is always best to inflate to the recommended pressure when the tires are cold.
TC Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:10 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
When I first got mine a number of years ago I had the same reaction. Start at about 85 and see maybe 110-115 after driving on the interstate in summer. Seems about the same on all 6 so I don’t worry about it. My primary interest it to note any sudden drops and I don’t really care a lot about the number. That said, it does seem to be what really happens! Who knew?
Old 11-19-2020, 02:28 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
On my ACE that 82 PSI at 70 degrees will go over 100 psi on hot Florida interstates. I have my alarm set at 105 psi.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:46 AM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Same here as well. Just watch for larger unexpected changes. If the sun is on one side of the coach as well I have noticed those tires being warmer then the aids that’s in the shade while driving.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:06 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordSanClemente View Post
Hi All,

Thanks All!
Weight and speed have the greatest effect on tire pressure gain. It all has to do with tire flexing (remember it is flat on the bottom) Weight is the main reason the front tires gain less pressure than the rear (less flexing). The inside rear will usually gain the most pressure because of less cooling air around the tire.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:20 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Weight and speed have the greatest effect on tire pressure gain. It all has to do with tire flexing (remember it is flat on the bottom) Weight is the main reason the front tires gain less pressure than the rear (less flexing). The inside rear will usually gain the most pressure because of less cooling air around the tire.
Another phenomenon affecting internal tire pressure is known as the “standing wave”. That’s the rippling (flexing) of the entire carcass as it hits pavement. A lot of friction is created in addition to the flexing. Friction creates heat. It took me quite a bit of TPMS experimenting to get the range dialed in. I put sensors on the trailer I’m towing as well.