Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
TPMS sensor batteries

I installed an EEZ TPMS on our Axis in Sept. 2017. Last trip I noticed 3 of the 6 tire sensors wern't showing on the monitor. Checked batteries in the 3 non-functioning sensors and found them all to less than 1 VDC. Voltage of these batteries new is 3 VDC. EEZ advertising says batteries are supposed to have a life expectancy of approx. 2 yrs. So, I'm wondering why mine only lasted 13 months and about 4k miles? Anyone else experience anything like this?

Old 10-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I installed mine in August of last year. 2 died a month ago and 2 more died last weekend.

Buy the batteries in bulk from Amazon (especially if you have Prime). Much cheaper than Wally World (if they even have them in stock) or anywhere local.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
im looking at TPMS systems now. is this just a "thats just the way things are." or not. i would not want to change batteries every 3 months. 2 years would do.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
im looking at TPMS systems now. is this just a "thats just the way things are." or not. i would not want to change batteries every 3 months. 2 years would do.
Where did you see 3 months? Both mine and the OP's lasted over 13 months. Just not up to the manufacturer's claims of 2 years.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:32 PM   #5

THOR #4802
Thanks for the replies, so far. The good thing is that the batteries are fairly easy to change...shouldn't take more than about 20 min to change out all 6. And, as mentioned above, they are fairly cheap from Amazon. Just good to know that mine were probably average. I'll just replace them annually from now on.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:14 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
I found mine started to fail at 12 months. Replaced those that failed. At 15 months the remainder failed so I now replace them every twelve months in the Spring.daylight savings time - replace smoke detector batteries AND TPMS batteries.
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:59 AM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
I replaced the original batteries after approx. 2 1/2 yrs from purchase and the set I have in there now are still functioning well after over a year. Won’t replace them until one or more shows sign of failure.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:16 AM   #8

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Just curious, would the cold weather effect these?
I know hard cold will kill a battery rather quick.
Unless you live in a normal warm climate area or store
your coach indoors with heat would it not need to be changed each spring?

I just bought a Tire Minder set and haven't opened the box yet.
Maybe I should test the voltage of all batteries before
I install in the next few weeks.
It will be interesting to see the answers.
Thanks.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #9

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
Just curious, would the cold weather effect these?
I know hard cold will kill a battery rather quick.
Unless you live in a normal warm climate area or store
your coach indoors with heat would it not need to be changed each spring?

I just bought a Tire Minder set and haven't opened the box yet.
Maybe I should test the voltage of all batteries before
I install in the next few weeks.
It will be interesting to see the answers.
Thanks.
Good practice to test all new batteries before installing them.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #10

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
I had several batteries fail about 14 months after initially installing the sensors. I changed all 10 (6 on RV and 4 on toad) and everything is good now.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
mine is by TST. Don't recall exactly how long they lasted on the first set, but it wasn't the claimed year. A couple did have some corrosion and water entry so I chalked it up to not normal and I git the short stick...
The o-rings on them looked old so I figured maybe whoever I ordered form had them on the shelf a while...
anyway, at some point I found one or two of the factory batteries had leaked acid.
Company was good about replacing all of these....
but, that poor battery life has proven itself again now a couple times.

I pull my sensors off when I park for storage...which sadly is the vast majority of the time. I'll put them on for a weekend or the occasional week, them right back off. I thought I remembered that they continue to transmit when they sense pressure, but will save power and I suppose shut down when there's no pressure.
Regardless, I've had to change my batteries far more than I am happy about.
I've second guessed that maybe the factory replace battery system might have been a better buy. Oh well.
At least food for though to you...
Old 11-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #12

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
I lost 3 sensors about a month ago. The the TPMS is a little over a year old. Replaced all the batteries (6) , good to go. No way to tell how good the original batteries are/were.
If they last a year or 18 monthts, I'm ok with that.. time will tell...

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:25 PM   #13

Model: Quantum WS31
THOR #11466
Mine also only lasted 1 year. I live in S FL. I imagine those who live in cooler climates, get a longer life out of them.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:41 PM   #14

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
C'mon, man!

OK...a pack of 10 lithium CR1632 batteries on Amazon is anywhere from $7 - $10. Seems like a no-brainer to get fresh batteries every 12 - 18 months for the peace of mind -- and for the safety for you and your loved ones. This is why we got TPMS systems in the first place, right?!

Unless your batteries check out at full voltage after 12 months, you might consider changing them out like we do with the batteries on smoke detectors and the like -- once a year.

BTW, have you tried calling the nice people at EEZRV (located in Yuma)? I did and the gentleman I spoke with was very helpful when I had some questions about customizing the psi parameters for the alarm notification. He also told me that removing the sensors doesn't really affect power consumption...as long as you have the monitor shut down.

Cheers!
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:52 AM   #15

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
Cutting the monitor off between trips will lengthen battery life.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:27 AM   #16

State: Tennessee
THOR #9146
Tpms

Ok help me understand....... in the past, two months (Aug.Sep.) I had a blowout on Michelin 7k miles and a flat on the new replaced Goodyear. When I had the Goodyear put back on the Goodyear truck tire manager told me that most tire failures are caused by something other than the tire. He recommended that I not buy a TPMS as they are not reliable and can leak. He also recommended not using extenders.
I believe my blowout was due to hot weather and maybe over inflation or just Michelin . It’s clear that the flat was due to a bad valve or poor installation of the extender.
I was convinced that I needed a TPMS but am now going with checking tire pressure more often and have invested in a portable air compressor and a truck type inflator (straight and angled head)
So my question is what help is the TPMS if it alerts you and there is no way to get to a truck tire shop..... you still are on the side of the road calling for help?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #13726
how do you replace the house batteries under the steps ?

How do I replace the batteries under the steps for a

2012 Thor Challenger? It is difficult to access and I do not see a slide out for it.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:33 AM   #18

Model: Palazzo 36.2
State: Illinois
THOR #12796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain A View Post
Ok help me understand....... in the past, two months (Aug.Sep.) I had a blowout on Michelin 7k miles and a flat on the new replaced Goodyear. When I had the Goodyear put back on the Goodyear truck tire manager told me that most tire failures are caused by something other than the tire. He recommended that I not buy a TPMS as they are not reliable and can leak. He also recommended not using extenders.
I believe my blowout was due to hot weather and maybe over inflation or just Michelin . It’s clear that the flat was due to a bad valve or poor installation of the extender.
I was convinced that I needed a TPMS but am now going with checking tire pressure more often and have invested in a portable air compressor and a truck type inflator (straight and angled head)
So my question is what help is the TPMS if it alerts you and there is no way to get to a truck tire shop..... you still are on the side of the road calling for help?
Many big RVs have air brakes and air suspension and lots of compressed air. Good TPMS will provide warning before you are stuck on side of road. It can help you avoid a blowout or wrecking a leaky tire. That assumes you don't ignore it and you program it right.
GY is notorious for tire failures. Don't trust their Reps. All tires can and do reward one for stupidity and ignorance by failing.
Yes, you will probably be no the side of the road waiting for help sooner or later, no matter how careful you are.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Most RV tires will fail due to lack of use, not miles. If the RV sits in storage for any length of time try to protect the tires (cover them). Our Michelin's didn't last 4 seasons: (Fortunately for us I noticed this in a campground and got them replaced before they left me on the road)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-07-01 10.38.33.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	14014
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #20

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
As I understand it from my research... many or most blowouts happen because of under inflation...such as a slow leak while you're driving taking the pressure down so that the tire becomes overloaded before it goes boom.

I had a blowout where the failure mode was different. michelins from the factory. I had a thump thump thump warning so I slowed, but decided not to stop because I felt it was a dangerous spot to pull off. Almost made it to the exit before it went boom. I should have pulled over. actually it went boom...beep, beep , beep...

Still I'm glad I have the system if for no other reason than to make it easier to check the pressures every morning before I hit the road.

I do agree about the extensions though. I fought them a long time before I just ditched the wheel simulators so I could get at the stems without extensions.