Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
rod

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Arizona
THOR #5010
Track Bar

I have a 2017 TMC Windsport and am considering adding a rear sway bar to the unit. Has anyone also added a track bar?

Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
I have a 2017 TMC Windsport and am considering adding a rear sway bar to the unit. Has anyone also added a track bar?
Do you really need one or either of them? They are each designed to handle different issues....
.... although i personally suspect that there is some "band-aid" overlap, so that improving the suspension in one way might make it seem better overall, or in other ways too....

this might be worth a read for you though...
http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/MH_..._%20Primer.pdf

For what it's worth, I think that the panhard rod is likely what I need the most in my E-450 class C. I would also LIKE to add a safe t steer or similar, for the forced dampening in case of blow-out
BUT
since I have had the alignment adjusted AND maybe more importantly I have started running tire pressures correct based on weight
I don't feel the need to throw money at it (although I would if I had a bigger budget) It handles pretty good as is.

Good luck with yours
Old 10-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I added a beefier anti-sway bar to my rig. I have never had the issues others have reported. Recently, while on a trip, I removed it after finding it hanging by 1 bolt. The ride home was terrible.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
Sumo Springs

I had a similar issue with sway and front end bounce that my alignment and correct tire pressure did not alleviate.

After some research, deliberation and hesitation, I installed 4 Sumo Springs to my coach. For @ $1200 you can get a set shipped to your door. Took me @ 6 hours to install them start to finish. If I had a corded drill, could have done it in 4! Another forum member purchased his at a shop which installed them for @ $1500.

My wife noticed a difference in the ride immediately on our first trip out. It handles considerably better than stock. Its not an 'air ride' suspension by any means, however, it was worth the investment.

Just something else to consider especially if you are a 'do it yourselfer'!

Happy Trails!
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
I am on a "quest" to give my Hurricane a good ride. I did (or better my son did, because he is a master mechanic with the largest Ford dealer in the state) install the Safty Steer System, died the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) on all four corners, installed a rear track bar and Sumo maxim springs in the front, and Bilstein shocks all around, as well as decreasing the caster of the front wheels.

These modifications improved the handling dramatically, the days of "white knuckle" driving are over, and passing semis don't bother me anymore. But they did hardly anything to the harsh hits when encountering bad roads or bridge expansion gaps.

I found out that my unit is way to light in the front, but I have no possibility to load put more weight there. I would need roughly extra 400 lb of weight to have the springs react properly to the road surface I tried to run with reduced air pressure in the front tires, but that did not change much either.
There are two possible solutions. Installation of softer springs (the springs of the F450 or F350 should fit the F53 chassis), or placing about 400 lb of weight some place in front of the front wheels.
We are currently favoring the extra weight, because welding a few steel plates to the chassis front bumper should be rather easy, and we have easy access to the required amount of steel.
Did anybody her weight their rig down in the front to get the required weight for the front springs?

Tags
sway bar, track bar