Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Trade in values

Have any of you traded in a MH? What would be considered reasonable depreciation for a 2017 model with less than 13000 miles? I need a ballpark number. Thanks

Old 11-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Check out on NADA guides.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I traded in my 2018... and got $8,000 more than I paid for it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #4

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
According to NADA I should do the same!
Old 11-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good luck, and happy hunting for your new RV!
Old 11-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Have any of you traded in a MH? What would be considered reasonable depreciation for a 2017 model with less than 13000 miles? I need a ballpark number. Thanks

Depends some on what kind of MH it is. I traded in a 2017 Freedom Elite with 8000 miles just as the 2018 models were arriving. It’s a little hard to tell what I actually got for it as it was tied in to a new purchase deal. But my paperwork shows I lost about 15% of what I paid for it. Hurts a good bit but I learned much and we are much happier in our new one. Same payment just a few more of them! Good luck.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:49 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
True values get totally lost in a trade deal...there's a term called "over allowing" which means, they give you more for the trade but you pay more for the new one. If you can get a true, triple net price on the new one...THEN...toss in the trade for evaluation, you'll get their real number. Plus, they won't be too pleased you did it this way. It's the first question they ask..."do you have a current RV now (that's their Red Flag)...will you be trading it it?". It's usually a "wholesale for wholesale" or "retail for retail" deal, but the bottom line difference between them will be the same. They would love to see retail price for theirs and wholesale price for yours. No offense Bob, but usually when you get more for it than you paid, there's been some serious over allowing going on. This is normally based on a pay-off balance due on the trade which they need to overcome in order to make the deal.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
None taken...
But we also got 20% off the retail value of the new RV...
Old 11-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Thanks to an exorbitant inflated MSRP of new RV's, the dealer can work the deal in whatever way is necessary to complete the deal and make the customer happy. My coach was listed at $161,000 but I actually paid $109,000. The dealer will generally start at about 20% off MSRP and will go up to 35% off pretty easily. We settled at 32% off list which gave him room to give me an extra $5,000 for my trade.

I maybe could have negotiated a lower price but would have gotten less for my trade.

You need to get an idea of the worth or your RV and don't expect to get retail for yours if you're not willing to pay retail for the new one. Keep in mind also there is a difference between MSRP and retail. Retail is about 20% off MSRP for new coach.

Have fun looking.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
The NADA is bought and paid for by dealers/ Manufacturers, and in no way reflects the ” Actual Cash Value" of your RV.
You can expect on average, to take a 40-60% Deprecation Hit on the purchase of a new RV.
If your trading in a RV, or thinking of buying a "Pre-owned" RV like we did, I recommend joining the RV PRICING AND VALUES FACEBOOK group. The group owner and admin, is a former RV Salesman, now Broker, who got tired of seeing folks riped off in purchasing, financing RVs, Tow Vehicals.
He will for a small fee, provide a Vin # specific Appraisal for your RV, or one your interested in purchasing. You know going in what the " True Cash Value" is, good or bad.
His Appraisals, along with advise, and forewarning of financial tricks of the trade, have saved group members MILLIONS
Old 11-29-2018, 06:46 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
The NADA is bought and paid for by dealers/ Manufacturers, and in no way reflects the ” Actual Cash Value" of your RV.
You can expect on average, to take a 40-60% Deprecation Hit on the purchase of a new RV.
If your trading in a RV, or thinking of buying a "Pre-owned" RV like we did, I recommend joining the RV PRICING AND VALUES FACEBOOK group. The group owner and admin, is a former RV Salesman, now Broker, who got tired of seeing folks riped off in purchasing, financing RVs, Tow Vehicals.
He will for a small fee, provide a Vin # specific Appraisal for your RV, or one your interested in purchasing. You know going in what the " True Cash Value" is, good or bad.
His Appraisals, along with advise, and forewarning of financial tricks of the trade, have saved group members MILLIONS
NOTE: He does not do Appraisals, on NEW RVs, Trucks, due to the wide differential in fees, and various other charges added into the price by dealerships.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #12

THOR #6826
I wouldn’t get too hung up on numbers or percentages. Bring your best negotiating skills and say no - and actually get up to leave - at least once or twice. Push really hard and then just decide if you can live with the deal in front of you. It’s hard to keep your emotions in check after you’ve been at it for an hour or so but you’ll pay more if you don’t. You can always call them back the next day.... good luck..
Old 11-30-2018, 12:23 AM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I traded in my 2016 Winnebago ERA Class B and got $76,000 which basically paid off what I owed when I purchased my 2018 THOR Siesta. I found out that the dealership flipped it in less than one month for $82,000.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:45 AM   #14

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I traded in my 2016 Winnebago ERA Class B and got $76,000 which basically paid off what I owed when I purchased my 2018 THOR Siesta. I found out that the dealership flipped it in less than one month for $82,000.

Interesting. I paid about $54,000 for my Freedom Elite and the trade in paperwork says I got $46,000 for it. I saw it listed on the CW web site for $72,000! Used! Almost $20,000 more than I paid for it new! And more even than they advertised for new ones. Go figure. I have no idea what someone ended up paying for it but I guess CW has a strategy that works for them.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #15

THOR #11130
Pete...they are using your used one to make the price of a new one look better. They will default to the used one and immediately lower the price for a buyer that can't acquire the new one. They have more sales crap tactics than Carter has "Little Liver Pills". Unless you sell it your self and set the price on the new one yourself...you are subject to the pricing games they play and the values they use are a game depending on buyer ability and how much down payment you have, or how much they need to "create" for you by the F&I crook.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
No matter how well we THINK that we know this game: they know it better!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #17

THOR #11130
I knew a guy years ago that sold used cars...they would place pennies "heads up" in the customer parking area so you would see them when you got out of your car. I think the reason they all wear long-sleeved shirts all the time is to hide the scales.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
No matter how well we THINK that we know this game: they know it better!
The main advantage I see to them inflating the value of trade-in rigs while not discounting the new one as much as its true market value is that on paper it appears you have a greater down payment, making it easier to qualify new loan.

For them it’s not as much a game as just smart business to gain buyers even if they are more upside down the minute they drive new rig off the lot.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:11 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
[QUOTE=Chance;156021For them it’s not as much a game as just smart business to gain buyers even if they are more upside down the minute they drive new rig off the lot.[/QUOTE]

We LIKE upside down...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1543594965
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upside_Down_Dog825.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	14376  
Old 11-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #20

THOR #11130
Chance...same as Post 7. They don't care as long as they make the deal and it's all about having equity...whether cooked up or real...thus the phrase "Cookin' The Books". Car dealers are the worst at this. I've always said, "you can't impress me with what you drive...anybody can buy anything with credit...show me the cancelled check and I'll be impressed".