Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #14393
Trailer Hitch 7 pin plug

I've got my flat toad situation all set up ( 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, Blue Ox, and SMI Stay in Play Duo braking on Jeep ), so ready to go.

However, when I put a test plug into the Vegas 7 pin on the back of the coach, it indicates that it doed not have any 12 volt power. Also hooked it up the jeep ( not moving ), and the Jeeps brake lights worked, turn signals worked, back up lights worked ...... so seems like those functions are OK, just no 12 volt power ( which I need for the steering functions on the jeep ).

Is this a know problem and is there a fix??? ( or do I go to the RV repair shop and have them correct?

Old 04-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I have wondered about those things too.
I do not have a toad.
I have never checked to see if all the pins (7) are working either.
I do know an adapter to 4 pin worked a small trailer lights fine.

Since there is no electric brake booster present in the cab, like on my pick up truck, I always wondered what I would do, would I need to have one installed, run it myself, trace present hitch plug wiring, gosh, dunno?
Meanwhile I do not pull that trailer, the one with electric brakes, with the RV.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Generally the power line is not hot on a 7 pin connector from the factory on either RVs or trucks. On trucks you generally have to install a large (30 amp?) fuse to make it hot. It may not be that simple on your RV but I'm sure someone here has gone down that road and will chime in.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
If you're not getting 12V when connecting your voltmeter to pins # 1 (ground) and #4 (Aux 12V), then either the wire to #4 pin is not connected, or if it is you may have a blown (or missing) fuse or a bad relay.

This is the power distribution center, located under the hood on the driver's side of the E450. In the below picture, 4 is the relay for power to the #4 pin, and 17 is the 50 amp fuse feeding that relay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse block.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	16830  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #5

Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1
THOR #14393
Thanks.

So, first check the plug ( pins 1 and 4 ) with voltmeter ( had checked with plug tester ), if no power, then check those 2 fuses.

That is my next step, thanks.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:48 PM   #6

Model: Quantrum RC25
State: California
THOR #14016
My pin #1 grnd is not common with the inside RV grnd. Signal, running, and brake lights do work. I added a 12 volt circuit from RV battery to trailer connector pin #4 for vent fan inside cargo trailer. Is there any reason these grounds would be different? 2019 RC25.