Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3169
Leave propane on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
Planning on a 3 day trip south in Nov. in our 2019 Axis and wondered what the consensus is on travelling with the propane on to keep the frig cold. Will only be doing about 7 hours a day and I don't think it'll stay cold enough if it's off. They put 3 way fridges in travel trailers why not in motorhomes?
Leave propane on. It’s safe and barely uses any propane.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:16 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Lit fridge propane flame while fueling

For those of you who leave propane flame lit while fueling please make sure you post this all over your vehicle so I don’t fill up next to you.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:19 PM   #23

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Florida
THOR #13725
Absorption Refrigerator

I read in my operators manual for the refrigerator that operating un-level will cause cumulative damage to an absorption refrigerator, and that driving your RV with the refrigerator running will subject it to boiler overheating damage at timers when driving uphill or downhill. More info is available at the following website. https://www.arprv.com/index.php The website sells a product for the refrigerator to help protect it. The web site states "RV Refrigerator boiler operates at about 350 degrees all the time, but even a brief time off-level, like driving up or down a hill, can send that temperature sky-rocketing. Events like this produced a lot of thermal stress in the fridge boiler, stress that causes the metal to fatigue and the anti-corrosion chemicals in the coolant to deteriorate leading to premature fridge failure and perhaps even causing a total fridge meltdown."
Old 10-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Of course they see a problem...

That's because they've got just the thing that you need to prevent it.

I'd look for some independent discussions about this topic; before buying from anyone who has a vested interest in promoting their argument as fact.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:55 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Yep, Bob has hit the nail on the head. Still looking for that documentation from Norcold.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:32 PM   #26
Site Team

THOR #7035
So this is straight out of a Norcold Refrigerator User Manual:

Another Internet rumor quashed.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:33 PM   #27

State: Michigan
THOR #10430
I've been rv ing my whole life and live on the road for the last 20+ years. I've never turned off my propane while traveling. Maybe the good lord looking out for fools and dumb asses, but the only time I turn mine off is when fueling. I've never had a problem.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:48 PM   #28

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Now that's funny, btw, my 2016 Axis, the propane valve is always open, this is our 8th RV, haven't blown up yet ~ knock on wood
Bill in Titusville
Old 10-10-2019, 12:39 AM   #29

State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Fridge propane flame on

For you folks that leave your propane flame lit while fueling you need to rethink this. You might be saying to yourself that the flame is on the other side of your gasoline fill tube. But what’s on the same side as your fridge flame. That’s right someone else filling up next to your vehicle. There are web videos of gas station incidents caused by idiots that think because it doesn’t happen often it must be safe. Same fools that never get their loaded vehicle weighed because the odds of an accident happening while they’re overloaded are infinitesimal. Over or under inflated tires, bad brakes, whatever, it’ll be ok...until it’s not. By the way the piezo striker lighting the propane is bad news as well.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:37 AM   #30

Brand: DRV
Model: TK3
State: Georgia
THOR #15512
Turn it on and leave it on. I turn ours off to change or fill propane tanks.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #31

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4064
Kinda reminds me of when they use to say using your cell phone wile fueling would cause the entire world to blow up.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #32

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I leave ours on while driving but since the valve is real handy to the fuel fill I do turn it off........usually, occasionally I forget. Doesn't hurt to use precaution. Most modern gas pump nozzles capture the fumes but still there is that one in a million.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #33

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
I leave ours on from the time I take the RV out till the time I put it away.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:05 AM   #34

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
When I had tt and 5th wheel I turned off propane as I could not see if there was a problem while driving, but with the motor home I leave it on except refueling as freg is next to gas fill, great planning, if it was on the other side I don't it would make a deference
Old 10-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #35

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Common sense applies. My gas fill is on opposite side from fridge. I always kill generator while gassing up. Fridge has been on since June of 2016 except for one defrost. The little battery fan helps. A layer of frozen water bottles always helps. Propane lasts seemingly forever except when running furnace. I tend to use propane for hot water frequently and it still seems to last forever.

On shore power or generator has to be on 4, on propane 5. If on 5 when not on propane it becomes freezer. Frozen milk bites.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #36
Site Team

THOR #7035
I hope those of you who "turn off the propane while refueling" really mean you turn off the fridge. Because if you turn off the propane but not the fridge, the fridge will go into lighting mode and spark away trying to light the non-existent propane - might as well leave the flame burning.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #37

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I hope those of you who "turn off the propane while refueling" really mean you turn off the fridge. Because if you turn off the propane but not the fridge, the fridge will go into lighting mode and spark away trying to light the non-existent propane - might as well leave the flame burning.
Absolutely. I think that some people have the misconception that when we say that we turn off the propane, we actually mean that we turn off the fridge (and water heater and furnace- if for some reason you left those on) rather than turning off the propane at the tank. It’s the sparking devices that can get you killed. If the fridge is working correctly, it should only spark a few times before it turns off and the gas light comes on at your panel.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #38

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Gasoline vapor ignition temperature is about 495°f.
Gas vapors head to ground because they are considerable heavier than air.

The normal operating temperature of a catalytic converter can range up to 1,600° f.
(some of you might remember the fear mongering about this subject in 1973+)

So, as facts dictate, if you're not stopping your vehicle and allowing the cat to cool to room temp, you're really really being dangerous.

Can we stop all this now and agree that the boogie man is not real?

No proof of any related accident ever, physics says there are far far worse concerns than a pilot light and those worse also don't materialize.

It's OK to look under the bed. It's not OK to scare others based on a theory that has never ever made the news as passing into reality.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #39

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Universal Precautions

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgtx View Post
For you folks that leave your propane flame lit while fueling you need to rethink this. You might be saying to yourself that the flame is on the other side of your gasoline fill tube. But what’s on the same side as your fridge flame. That’s right someone else filling up next to your vehicle. There are web videos of gas station incidents caused by idiots that think because it doesn’t happen often it must be safe. Same fools that never get their loaded vehicle weighed because the odds of an accident happening while they’re overloaded are infinitesimal. Over or under inflated tires, bad brakes, whatever, it’ll be ok...until it’s not. By the way the piezo striker lighting the propane is bad news as well.
IF you are that concerned than you should take UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS, and assume that every RV has his propane on.
Then wait until that RV leaves the pump and you can pull in knowing it is safe.
I am not perfect and have forgotten a few times to turn the propane off.
I would guess that most rvers would lie if asked about this, and I am sure a lot of rvers have also forgotten a few times.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:36 PM   #40

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Can we stop all this now and agree that the boogie man is not real?

No proof of any related accident ever, physics says there are far far worse concerns than a pilot light and those worse also don't materialize.

It's OK to look under the bed. It's not OK to scare others based on a theory that has never ever made the news as passing into reality.
Found this article from 2010. Someone was filling their motorhome with fuel, spilled it and the propane pilot light lit it on fire. If the propane was off it would just been a mess not a fire.

https://www.houmatoday.com/news/2010...ana-couples-rv
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote