Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #41
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I know that the fuel filler on both of my rigs; have been pretty far away from the refrigerator's pilot light...
But People do stupid things all the time.
A single report seems rather remarkable!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
We turn our off when driving. That way we don't have to remember to turn it off when re-fueling, it's already off.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:56 PM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22E
THOR #12119
Gas-station fire destroys Indiana couple’s RV

Gas-station fire destroys Indiana couple’s RV:
Irwin Binder and his wife, Linda, escaped unharmed with their Yorkshire terrier, Holly. Binder, 73, said the blaze started as he prepared to fill up the Roadtrek recreational vehicle and the nozzle spewed gasoline, igniting when it came into contact with a pilot light on the RV.
The light is accessible through a vent on the RV and connected to a propane tank that powers a refrigerator, he said.
Binder said the latch that holds the nozzle’s handle in the closed position was already pushed into place when he prepared to pump. Fuel spilled from the nozzle when he selected his grade, pushing the nozzle free and spilling gas on his RV and the ground.
Houma Fire Inspector Mike Millet said he was able to recreate how Binder explained the gas spill, and said it was possible. But Millet noted that’s a first for the department and he’s unsure if that’s how the fire started.
“It is possible what he said happened,” he said. “It was a freak accident. Nobody in the Fire Department has seen that happen before.“
Tom Freeman, the gas station’s owner, said he doubts Binder’s account. The pumps are regularly serviced and customers have never reported a problem with the one Binder used.Drivers who have pilot lights on their RV should put the flame out before pumping gas, he said.
“You’ve got to make sure everything is off when you start pumping. It can be very dangerous,” Freeman said.

Doesn't hurt to be more careful when fueling up. That also includes where you aim the nozzle.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
That does sound like a very creative story...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote