Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Travel with youtube tv & winegard

We cancelled directv and now we use YouTube tv on phones computers MH TVS, house Tvs when home, tablets, watch live or recordings $54.99 month total.
Way more convenient access to recordings works on road
Big savings

This may help others.

We will do massive winter traveling

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for the tip!
How do you get the signal to your TVs?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I use other services but have a smart DVD and Roku connected into a full matrix switch so I can stream to all TVs with one device and watch different stuff on different TVs at the same time. The switch came standard in the rig but I swapped out the DVD and added the Roku
Old 06-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
We cancelled directv and now we use YouTube tv on phones computers MH TVS, house Tvs when home, tablets, watch live or recordings $54.99 month total.
Way more convenient access to recordings works on road
Big savings

This may help others.

We will do massive winter traveling
It was time to "cut the cord" with Spectrum as our promotional pricing was expiring. I ended up with Spectrum's TV Choice which gives us 15 channels (who needs 60 or 90?) plus our local network affiliates. We have Netflix also, so we should be able to watch anywhere we go. We'll try it this weekend on our outing to Julian. In September we have a road trip planned. I might try the Winegard cellular plan for that one.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #5

THOR #20220
We have 3 tv's and 2 FIRESTICKS ( i have been in tech for 35 years) ..we take 1 firestick and just move to outside MH TV when we want to watch outside and with Firestick anything on your phone or computer you can MIRROR to any TV. Works great
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 06-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #6

THOR #20220
Firestick uses our phone hotspot or winegard
Old 06-25-2021, 04:30 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So I'm guessing that an HDMI cable between the smartphone and TV is ancient technology now...
Old 06-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #8

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
So I'm guessing that an HDMI cable between the smartphone and TV is ancient technology now...
yes!!!!!
Old 06-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I feel even older now...
Old 06-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #10

THOR #20220
Someone told me about visible. Com. Looking

Anyone heard of them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210625-124506_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	31597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210625-124450_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	31598  

Old 06-25-2021, 08:08 PM   #11

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
We use visible. It's unlimited data but it's capped at 5mb/s. Thats enough to stream HD so we are good with it.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:19 PM   #12

THOR #20220
what about hotspot ? or can a sim go in winegard?

Can you have many lines at $25 month unlimited
Old 06-25-2021, 10:03 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Someone told me about visible. Com. Looking

Anyone heard of them?
Your screen shot attachments look like crap and are useless. Please post a link instead
Old 06-26-2021, 12:03 AM   #14

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
It is no brainer for us to use YouTubeTV Netflix etc. We love both. It is what TV should be.

What I never read or hear is how much people are paying for for a Winegard unit/installation and how much per month, or any other similar tools that allows you Internet Access while in the RV?

I am Mr. King of Cheap. But we stream data most all the time when needed with a few exceptions of some RV parks with very poor bandwidth. When that happens we stream direct from one of our phones to the Roku or Samsung TV. Eventually but rare the speed will step down and we cannot stream so we just go with Regular OTA TV, DVD or movies on USB.

I have two ways to get stronger free Wifi signals from RV Parks that do have WifI, but are too far away. My Netgear Extender, or my Wifi Camp Pro. Both have pros and cons; so it just varies based on what I need to decide which I use.

I admit I little to no knowledge about Winegard or similar. Seems to me if I wanted or needed more data, I could just upgrade to unlimited on one of my phones and call it a day? What am I missing?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:22 AM   #15

THOR #20220
I have had many cases of NO signal on my phone and winegard picks it up.
All with winegard all computers and tablets connect
Old 06-26-2021, 04:20 AM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
I have had many cases of NO signal on my phone and winegard picks it up.
All with winegard all computers and tablets connect
I see it on TV and the movies all the time, but I can't honestly tell you anywhere I have been anywhere where I didn't have phone signal. We have T - Mobile. About as bad as it gets is I am a Waze Whacko Nut & hard for me to drive without Waze being on, but there have been a few times driving on interstate it loses signal. I worry because I may need it to give me a turn, but that is very rare. I have a Garmin as a backup that works off satellite, but I never need it.

But back to the Winegard.... So if I follow it is a device to pick your already paid for phone data plan?, or do you have to buy a separate data plan just for the Wingard? I see talk about Winegard Connect 2.0 all the time, but never hear anyone talking about what it does or what they pay for it?

I recall one RV park we had a 3 day reservation and the listed WiFi as an amenity. They had booster all over the park and very easy to connect, but bandwidth was not enough to feed a big screen TV for a flea I was really ticked, but the surprised me when I went to office to complain. The loaned a Verizon Jet Pack for the next few days We were actually able to take it with us when we went other places in town; so it was kind of slick. It allowed several devices to connect to it.

But with the Netgear Extender and WifI CampPro, you will be surprised how many networks you can pick up fo free. The best speeds we ever got for free was spending overnight at a Wal Mart in Amarillo, Texas. That Wal Mart closed at like 10:00 PM and we had the whole parking lot short a few other RVers to ourselves
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #17

THOR #20220
Wingard
$20 sim if existing client
Secure hotspot for mh banking work
Works like -:Netgear Extender and WifI CampPro
Works for all local tv stations and really clear
No need to charge or plug in
Always on
Everyone can connect we did a group site bad phone signal all connected PRIVATELY to our winegard
Takes any wifi and makes private for you
Old 06-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Wingard
$20 sim if existing client

So you saying I only need to pay $20 to get an additional sim card from T- Mobile? Or can I simply take a sim card out of one of my existing 5 T- mobile phones?

Secure hotspot for mh banking work

banking work?, I closed my banking accounts when I bought the RV I don't use phone apps to do any banking work and don't have any of those fast quick paying instant cash apps. I do bank online from desktop and my laptops, but the laptops are very very rare.

Works like -:Netgear Extender and WifI CampPro
Both of those only require you have access to any local WiFi signal; if you do , you can rebroadcast within your RV creating your own stronger hotspot. i.e I use ny Netgear Extender when parked on my RV Pad at home. It picks up my Home Network. If I compare the connection speeds on my TV Rokus in the RV versus the one in the House; the ones in the RV are always Excellent and faster speeds There is no ongoing cost, but you do have to configure reconfigure every time you move to new site.
Works for all local tv stations and really clear
I already have rooftop 360 omni direction HDTV, Digital is normally very good or nothing unless moving and trying to watch local
No need to charge or plug in
Always on Can you turn it off, or is this going to be a constant drain source on my batteries?
Everyone can connect we did a group site bad phone signal all connected PRIVATELY to our winegard
Takes any wifi and makes private for you. I think this is the part where you were saying it is like the netgear extender and Wifi Camp Pro? If so, it will require setup each time you are at a new site too. I would love to compare the range to pickup a 3rd party wifi signal. I use the Wifi Canp Pro only when I need to try pick up signal that may be a long ways off, it has external 9db gain antenna. Otherwise, I use the Netgear extender as it is esaier to setup and configure wth only one part to plug in.
It is till not clear to me if the SIM card is for your 3rd party data plan or if you have to have data plan through them (winegard)

I may have to Google from here because I am courious as to what something like this would cost to have installed and what monthly fee it would require. I also suspect it may void my 10 year roof warranty, but thus far I have not seen the value for us if we actually had? My perception is I could buy some portable data device with some unlimited plan if I wanted to avoid the setups for Netgear / WiFi Camp Pro each time and be assure to have access in the event Wifi is not available from others.

But for now, we use our phones as Hotspots to do just that. If we don't try to stream movies through the phone we can use our computers / laptops all day with no issues. i.e. I can work from home. Sometimes; I am in RV with only my phone & laptop and no one can tell the difference, I may be at the lake
Old 06-27-2021, 01:05 AM   #19

THOR #20220
Here is what I got working and can watch anything unlimited streaming

Ordered hdmj to usb. Usb fits my Samsung phone

Opened youtube tv and plugged phone into TV hdmi
Full streaming unlimited
Old 06-27-2021, 02:07 AM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Here is what I got working and can watch anything unlimited streaming

Ordered hdmj to usb. Usb fits my Samsung phone

Opened youtube tv and plugged phone into TV hdmi
Full streaming unlimited
I do that but no wires or cable needed

I can stream to all 3 TVs by simply wirelessly connecting to one of my Roku boxes direct from my phone.

In addition, I replaced my Main TV with a Samsung TV. I stream direct to it with any of our Samsung phones.

I guess technically we have 3rd option if we wanted to plug a HDMI to USB cable between Phone & TV but we stay wireless where all possible.

BTW, I read up a little on Winegard. I can see why some people would like, but right now it is just not for us. It would be a tough sell for me to believe they can pick up T Mobile signals any better than my phone does, but even if it did, why make that investment? My installation cost is also a factor. If I was worried that I could not always get a T Mobile signal, I could simply buy a portable device with coverage that is noted to be in areas that T Mobil may not be? It would be good backup and I could take with me anywhere in any vehicle and boat and not just be confined to RV. But a Full Timer may think different.