Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2021, 11:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 4 Winds
State: Nevada
THOR #24624
Thor Product

I have owned 3 RVs prior and know things happen. I nevered owned a thor RV but looking at a 24 ft 4 winds on Mercedes chassis... Love the set up inside. My question is simple has anyone been pleasantly surprised with their Thor? As a long time owner I heard all the stories about Thor products. I know also now that they have purchased several other makes of RVs. Any positive comments about them would be helpful. Thanks

Old 09-07-2021, 11:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Tons of positive comments in this forum. Some complaints as well. Just like in any other RV forum.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:43 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasmailman View Post
I have owned 3 RVs prior and know things happen. I nevered owned a thor RV but looking at a 24 ft 4 winds on Mercedes chassis... Love the set up inside. My question is simple has anyone been pleasantly surprised with their Thor? As a long time owner I heard all the stories about Thor products. I know also now that they have purchased several other makes of RVs. Any positive comments about them would be helpful. Thanks
Thor MC makes about 36 percent of the motor coaches sold. Tiffin and Jayco make up another 11%, so almost one out of two coaches made is a Thor Industries coach. It stands to reason, that one out of two complaints about all motor coaches would be a Thor detractor. Thor NC plant 750 makes the ACE coach among others. There are more ACEs sold per year than all of Newmar's gas and diesel coaches combined. Entegra RED Cornerstone used 57% of all the X-15 Cummins diesel engines produced in a calendar year. Just saying ..... I LOVE my Hurricane.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:16 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome. There are happy Thor owners and complainers, like with almost everything. The complainers tend to vent then dump their rigs and leave the forum. Most of the happy owners never find this forum.

Are you looking at used or new? It seems that once the initial deficiencies and issues are resolved, the Thor products are on par with comparable priced brands. Thor has done some great things with floorplans. That was what made us buy and keep a Thor coach.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:58 AM   #5

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I have had 2 THOR products purchased brand new off of the Camping World lots. The first was a 2020 Freedom Elite 22HEC. I just went on the lot today. The 2021 series 22 FE, has a slide out and is 50k more than the one i purchased in Feb 2020.

The second is the THOR ACE 30.4. Brand new off of the Paul Sherry lot in Piqua, OH. We absolutely love the Class A. Multiple reasons, more space around bed, big bath and shower, New Beige cabinets, 3 TV, Slide out, Leveling Jacks, 50 AMP service, twin AC units, new FORD F53 Chassis with the 7.3 L V8... should i continue....
Old 09-08-2021, 03:05 AM   #6

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Like you, I had heard so many bad things about Thor, I initially refused to even look. I was set on another brand with a similar floor plan to the Aria we bought. My wife really liked the Aria was right next to the one I wanted. I went back a few days later and looked at the Aria, and drove both units. The other unit had a larger engine, but drove no better. The wind noise was worse and the Aria had much more basement and kitchen storage. The fit and finish of both units was pretty much the same. We bought the Aria 4 years ago, and I have no regrets.
Mike
Old 09-08-2021, 03:48 AM   #7

State: Arizona
THOR #22044
WE bought our 34J Thor Hurricane class A in Jan....first RV we ever owned...we decided to go big or not go....we love it....I purchased a 2017 with 7k miles on it for 89k. I also, as I always do when I buy a used vehicle (never buy new) you get much more when you buy a gently used fully loaded vehicle....anyways.....bought 3 extended warranties with it...coach, chassis and engine.....have portfolio warranties....so far since we owned it...have had the overcab bed motors replaced...work great now....new carburetor put on the genny, also works great now, and new inverter and radio put in. Portfolio covered them all with no issue just my $100 deductible...they even upgraded my radio to XM radio and paid for the upgraded radio and install of it....so, now pretty much everything on the coach is brand new and still have 54k miles or 6 years left on all the warranties. We have been very happy with it and just love jumping in and heading out for the weekend to wherever we decide to stop.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:49 AM   #8

THOR #22044
Us too Jim!
Old 09-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #9

Model: Quantum 24CR
THOR #24306
I’ve owned 2 diesel pushers, Monaco and Beaver, a Keystone TT, a Coachman Leprechaun class C and now a Thor 24CR on Mercedes.

For this time in my life it’s perfect. But I wasn’t happy with fit and finish compared to my others. Just sloppy…. HOWEVER, Thor has been fabulous about fixing, helping, sending parts and doing everything they could to help. I’ve had a couple issues with the mechanics but I chalk all these things up to “the world in its current state” and they have been or are being fixed. My PDI checklist only had a couple issues. I found one or two more at home when I went thru it carefully (I’ve done things like the AC and duct hack as almost no air coming from the bath vent). Nothing is built like it used to be. Plan on doing things yourself or going crazy dealing with others for repair. That goes with ANY brand.

Overall yes, I’m good with Thor and I love the Mercedes chassis. I actually love this little unit.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:06 PM   #10

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasmailman View Post
Like you we have owned four other RVs and Jayco was by far the worst. We now have a 2017 Four winds FS and it has been great. Yes it has had some hiccups but nothing major. We did have an awning motor go bad and the window shades are the pits but Thor stepped up replaced the shades and the motor out of warranty for no charge. The diesel Mercedes runs great our past trip recorded 14.2 mpg. The downside of Mercedes is their warranty. they require yearly oil change and service and that can be $200,00 to $400.00: a visit.. I would purchase again .
Old 09-18-2021, 07:19 PM   #11

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Bought a 2020 Four Winds 31y 1.5 years ago.
Had a 1,000 miles on it.
Has 15,000 now.
Full body paint, every option.
$70,000 out the door.
Probably worth more than I paid.
Have had to clean a lot of sawdust and the like from storage areas, gone through a bunch of zip ties, recaulked some trim, turned the screwdriver a few times.
Been a great ride. Nothing major or frustrating.
Had a couple TT's before this.
Bought this so we could get further, faster.
Does the trick.
We also camp a lot in national forests/state parks so needed something smaller.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:15 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
We own a 2017 thor windsport, and have had very little problems with it. Couple loose connections and that's it.
Nothing that ever spoiled our plans, and nothing I couldn't fix myself.
Can't speak for the new ones, but so far we've been very happy with ours.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:00 PM   #13

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #16788
We bought used...purchased a 2017 Quantum RS26 in 2019. It has been a wonderful experience, mostly due to the original owner who was meticulous in making sure everything worked well. He made many, many improvements. We love the floor plan. Our previous RV was a 1991 Ford Tioga C21. It was a good floorplan for us at the time and mostly faired well, although we constantly kept up with maintenance and improved many systems and features on her. We looked at different companies and found that the Quantum line had upgraded materials compared to the same floorplan on other lines. We feel fortunate to have found this particular vehicle and have added our own improvements. Absolutely very happy with this RV.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:58 PM   #14

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
I think if you want to find a coach with very few complaints look at SuperC Renegade or Newell. We have a Newell parked in the site next to us. Never saw one before.... WOW. I guess if I had $2.2millon for an A Class I would think about one.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:09 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I am in my 2nd motor home. The first was another brand and had many issues. I bought that one brand new in 2015. It was at the dealer's lot more in the first 8 months that I owned it than on the road. In 2018 we traded it in for a brand new 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS. What a difference. Only a couple of minor issues during the PDI which was repaired quickly by my dealership. I had a couple of minor issues show up before the warranty expired and Thor gladly shipped me the parts since I did the repair work myself. It was also very minor. Overall we are extremely happy with our Thor and am planning on trading up sometime next year to a Thor Miramar 37.1 bunkhouse. We have put over 30,000 miles on our current 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS(Mercedes Benz Sprinter Diesel Chassis). The biggest issue is finding a dealership that is willing to work with you AFTER the sales.

Paul
Old 09-18-2021, 11:33 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've got a Sprinter chassis...

...underneath my Tiffin.
I can tell you that it's a great platform for a smaller RV.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:43 AM   #17

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #14923
The dropdown bed motor went out on my 2018 ACE 27.2. Found it on Amazon for $42. A couple of skinned knuckles gout it installed.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by richguess View Post
The dropdown bed motor went out on my 2018 ACE 27.2. Found it on Amazon for $42. A couple of skinned knuckles gout it installed.
You should have called me. I would have come over to watch you work.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #19
sip

THOR #5882
The problem is "issues" is an overloaded term .. it can mean anything from a broken drawer latch or creaking window all the way to structural problems, roof leaks, serious chassis problems, and even catastrophic life-threatening failures.

I went with the Vegas 24.1 with the E450 chasis since I knew it was a solid platform and pretty much any ford mechanic could fix most of the mechanical stuff. Also generally, I don't see much catastrophic or serious structural problems with Thor's various lineups. So that pretty much leaves the annoying and pesky small stuff which I have decided not to consider "issues". My 2016 24.1 I got for $73k brand new ... compared to other comparable models, that left a LOT of room in my budget to fix/change/upgrade/repair most of the guts of the RV sometimes even twice

It's all a balancing game ... if you are hands on and don't tend to take in your vehicles for any "warrantee" work unless it is something huge, then Thor stuff is not a bad deal at all ... but as others have said, it is a huge lineup so even saying "Thor" as some sort of singular entity hides a lot of nuance.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:18 AM   #20

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #19918
We bought a 2018 Thor Four Winds 28z. We have only put about 6000 miles on it so far. This is our first motor home. We have been very pleased with it. No major issues and feel that everything in life has a learning curve. I did my homework and chose a floor plan that worked for us, after talking to others and finding out what they liked and didn’t like and why.
I feel the biggest issue is finding someone to do any repair work, and do it right if you did not buy it there is the biggest issue. We have been lucky to find that service.
If I had to do it over again I’d still pick this MH every time. Hope this helped.