Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #12557
Traveling solo

Bought a new Freedom Elite and getting ready to head out in Oregon...feeling a bit nervous lest something go wrong ..I have zero auto/coach repair skills. Any advice for a solo female traveler?

Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzyone View Post
Bought a new Freedom Elite and getting ready to head out in Oregon...feeling a bit nervous lest something go wrong ..I have zero auto/coach repair skills. Any advice for a solo female traveler?
Hi Lizzyone!!!

I'm a female fulltime solo rv'er. I've been on the road having a great adventure for the past 3 1/2 months & counting. My best advice is to breathe. Then dive in, bc I know that all the great guys on this forum have lots of experience & are happy to help you whenever you reach out!

As for specifics to have on hand, or what gear is indispensible - I'm gonna leave that to the guys here to get you squared away. I'm still a rookie & they're still getting me squared away. But I'm here for moral support, camraderie, anytime!

They've helped me thru some crazy issues so far & despite my lack of skills, have never made me feel "too stupid", lol! They're always there for me & are quick with a joke or an opinion (sometimes many conflicting opinions!), & I don't "feel" alone out here. I don't think I could have done this, at least not as well, without their support.

I'm enjoying every moment, the good & the bad (it's all part of the adventure). You've got this, go for it! I trust these guys to be there for you (hear that guys? I'm braggin on y'all again), just as they've continued to be there for me...

Keep on trackin!
Old 04-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #3

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Welcome! My wife (DW) & I are just a "hop & a skip" from you in Washington. Yes, the people here are great! Very knowledgeable, experienced at RVing. One of the best things I feel you can do is sit down and read the manuals IN the RV. That way you can get up and do some hands on self training of the systems and operation of those systems. Don't beat yourself up for lack of knowing the In-n-outs of rving. Enjoy! We gotcha!
Old 04-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulation on your next Big Adventure, and welcome to the Forum.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #5

Model: Aria - 3901
State: Michigan
THOR #14654
Congratulations and welcome. People have been very helpful and I appreciate the knowledge and willingness to help. Great resource! Have fun and safe travels.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:34 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And also, most of the things we worry about never happen.

Some RVers are wanderers, some are planners. Either way, plan in some slack time to deal with minor repairs. The forum and you tube will answer most of your questions.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 AM   #7

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
A GREAT BIG WELCOME from Salem... Will be in Junction City for the next few days getting our coach ready to go full timing..(Yes even brands other than Thor need maintenance..)
ASK AWAY!
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
If you search members here by state, members are everywhere. I feel confident, just as I would do in the area I live, if any of us had a serious issue and were truly stranded beyond the online "help-me-thorugh-it", I would grab my tool bag and jump and run to help. Life is short, live it!! If you concentrate to hard on the negatives, they will hone in on it and show up at the worst possible moment. Before you make the long trek, do a few weekenders around your home base and test everything out to the point you know how most stuff works. If you have questions, post them here...you'll get results.

Also, for the first days and weeks, read the new posts here often. Someone will have an issue and others will walk them through it. You will pick up lots of knowledge and sooner or later something will go "pop" at the least convenient time. You'll be amazed how well you can trouble shoot the issue based on the knowledge you pick up here.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #12557
Thanks much! My first trip was a big one...went to Utah. I just bought a Chevy Spark to tow...I think that has upped my level of nervousness...thinking about hooking and unhooking tow car. Perhaps I need to stop thinking so much!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Quote:
Thanks much! My first trip was a big one...went to Utah. I just bought a Chevy Spark to tow...I think that has upped my level of nervousness...thinking about hooking and unhooking tow car. Perhaps I need to stop thinking so much!

Oh, the power of the brain. It's won as many wars for people as it has lost. You sound as though you're in turn 3 of this big 4 turn race.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Relax...
There's nothing that can't be fixed with either a big hammer, or a glass of wine!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #12

THOR #13770
Quote:
You are further ahead than me in that department! I still don't have a toad, but I'm looking. What year is the Sparks?

You are so right! Don't overthink it, just do your best. At first, you may feel uncomfortable askin what you might believe are foolish questions (but everyone was a rookie at some point - I still am!). Just find something you're willing to take a chance on, something you feel comfortable bringing to the guys, & extend to them jus a 'lil bit of trust - they'll prove their mettle!

I've learned over the past few months that they really mean it. They've got your back - they've had mine from day one, even tho I didn't believe it, not at first. You'll develop a sense of those you can best relate to, or work with & you'll learn more than you thought you had to - or wanted to...

I still havta remind myself to breathe thru the unexpected, it's jus part of the rv &/or fulltimin package. Often, it's my service dog, Radar, who gives me a look that reminds me to snap outta the paralysis that can accompany the unexpected . Radar definitely tunes into my sudden, "oh sh:t" moments. So do the guys (hmmm, shared canine traits of service & loyalty? - okay, couldn't resist, lol). Anyway, Radar's look can snap me outta of it & get me trackin again (but don't tell him that, lol!), & the guys make sure I don't blow sheis up - at least not unintentionally!

I've caught myself physically holdin my breath at times; but then I remember the guys are out there & they're serious about helpin. They don't always have the answer you need right away, but they'll help you find it & keep you laughin while they're at it.

They won't try to do it for you & they'll fight valiantly the innate desire of all good men to save the damsel in distress. They won't push you to take on more than your ready for, but they'll encourage you every step of the way (if that's what you want).

They'll often bat ideas, problems, & possible solutions all around the group to come up w/a consensus (usually, lol!). They'lll support your learnin, commiserate w/your "builds character" moments, & cheer your successes. Is it that obvious I'm their greatest fan?

Just think of them as "trainin wheels" (sorry guys, couldn't think of a better analogy), & then just settle down, breathe, & enjoy the adventure. You've got this!

Oh, & share some stories & pix from your adventures!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190418_161219.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	16844
Old 04-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #13

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Radar

Thanks for including the picture of your friend. We take our three along whenever we hit the road.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #14

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Thanks for including the picture of your friend. We take our three along whenever we hit the road.
Wow, I think Radar would love having some four legged friends, but he's a service dog so it'd probably be too distracting - & I don't think I could keep up with more pups in my rig.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:26 AM   #15

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Mississippi
THOR #14259
Hi Lizzy! From one solo traveler or another, welcome to the club! My husband and I full-timed for 8 1/2 years and loved every minute of it. I didn’t drive one minute or do any of the RV stuff that you and I have to do now. After he passed away and I decided I wasn’t giving up the lifestyle, I was like a babe in the woods learning it all. Now, having just purchased my third new motorhome, I’m immersing myself in studying about sway bars, steering stabilizers, and SumoShocks. Who’d a thunk it?? Take it slow and easy, enjoy the ride, talk to lots of people at campgrounds and Rv parks and even Thor Forums. I’ll be watching for you here. If you get in the Memphis/Tupelo area in the spring or fall, let me know.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #16

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Welcome in.

About the Q of tools, whatnot, to have handy, the advice as I take it.
A computer, or smart phone and internet connection to reach us.
Other than that, your basic hand tools, screw drivers, pliers, tire gauge, maybe some hand wrenches or a socket set, and maybe a decent little multi-meter.

There hasn't been too many problems asked here that someone cannot help.
Just ask!
No such thing as a stupid question.

Just remember to do your pre-trip inspections;
fluid levels: oil and wiper fluid
air pressure: in the tires
on board water supply
etc
Old 04-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34F, Lincoln MK
State: Arizona
THOR #7663
And another solo traveler since 2016, on my 2nd used Hurricane out of warranty which has been a nightmare, but am here in Wakarusa, IN with Thor & Lippert experts trying to figure out my super slide. I can not say enough good things about Thor, sorry complainers, but there is a right way & a wrong way to handle complaints. I truly bought the RV from hell. It's quite a story & I'm expecting great results when you get the experts together.

Lizzyone, welcome to the Forum! One important reminder. When hooking/disconnecting up your car, don't get distracted! You will forget your routine. I, too, have the basics of tools. And all of your responders are right, this forum is gray. In fact, I've been saving numerous ones my Yahoo folders to go back to to read up on! I've traveled in more huge cities with my 36' with tow dolly & car, sometimes bumper to bumper. You just relax, watch your mirrors, keep your backup camera on full time to monitor your car, too. I had been a weekends RVer since 1981, in the 2000's, received my CDL licenses & my ex & delivered Class A's across America. It's fun in all angles. I'm 69 now & trying to see America as long as I am healthy & can walk/hike.

Just have fun & you'll meet lifelong friends on your journeys.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #18

THOR #11130
"I can not say enough good things about Thor, sorry complainers, but there is a right way & a wrong way to handle complaints."

Agree 1000%! My trip to Wakarusa in December was outstanding!! If you get the time, make the trip to the RV Museum in Elkhart...well worth the trip!
Old 04-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 34F, Lincoln MK
State: Arizona
THOR #7663
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"I can not say enough good things about Thor, sorry complainers, but there is a right way & a wrong way to handle complaints."

Agree 1000%! My trip to Wakarusa in December was outstanding!! If you get the time, make the trip to the RV Museum in Elkhart...well worth the trip!
My factory rep sent me to Paul's RV Repair, not the factory site yet. If this last repair doesn't work, then that's where I'm going. The worst part of this trip was getting here in December & leaving in February, then driving back 350 miles in March because of its failure. I've been cool, just waiting for so many great minds to figure what what happened during the build to correct it so I can use my slide like it was meant to be used. Yes, I have been to the museum in 2012, but have heard more exhibits & a RV show is there the first weekend in May. Will go back then. Thanks
Old 04-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Mississippi
THOR #14259
Sibley, I, too, am a solo RVer with a new Windsport. Bought it in February and suddenly in March, after successfully putting the slide in and out twice, it wouldn’t go in. The dealer, General RV in Dover FL, sent a tech 3 times with no success. Finally, they discovered it was getting hung up by a beam and couldn’t go in. How that could happen is a mystery. After that, I lost the electricity in the coach because the transfer switch went bad so I haven’t been able to put the slide in and out to test it to see if it’s been fixed. But that is something you may want your techs to check. See if there’s a structural issue causing your slide problem. I still love my coach and I’m determined that when all my problems (yes, there are more) are resolved, I’ll be happily on my way. You will be too.