Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34F, Lincoln MK
State: Arizona
THOR #7663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelernet View Post
Sibley, I, too, am a solo RVer with a new Windsport. Bought it in February and suddenly in March, after successfully putting the slide in and out twice, it wouldn’t go in. The dealer, General RV in Dover FL, sent a tech 3 times with no success. Finally, they discovered it was getting hung up by a beam and couldn’t go in. How that could happen is a mystery. After that, I lost the electricity in the coach because the transfer switch went bad so I haven’t been able to put the slide in and out to test it to see if it’s been fixed. But that is something you may want your techs to check. See if there’s a structural issue causing your slide problem. I still love my coach and I’m determined that when all my problems (yes, there are more) are resolved, I’ll be happily on my way. You will be too.
Funny you told this to me. This afternoon the RVer in repair next to me overheard your exact answer that they have to check out the beam, but I'm not supposed to know that!! There's something seriously wrong. Sounds like you've had a few nightmares. Thank you.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:04 PM   #22

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Mississippi
THOR #14259
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibley View Post
Funny you told this to me. This afternoon the RVer in repair next to me overheard your exact answer that they have to check out the beam, but I'm not supposed to know that!! There's something seriously wrong. Sounds like you've had a few nightmares. Thank you.
Aha! So the beam problem is more prevalent than just a one-time thing! Waddya know! My crystal ball tells me I may be making a trip to Wakarusa this summer if I have more issues. It’s in the shop now getting its very own SumoShocks to go with its new Roadmaster steering stabilizer after the satellite dish fell off the roof on the freeway because of all the shake, rattle, and rolling on its maiden voyage. Ain’t life fun!
Old 04-25-2019, 11:49 PM   #23

THOR #7663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelernet View Post
Aha! So the beam problem is more prevalent than just a one-time thing! Waddya know! My crystal ball tells me I may be making a trip to Wakarusa this summer if I have more issues. It’s in the shop now getting its very own SumoShocks to go with its new Roadmaster steering stabilizer after the satellite dish fell off the roof on the freeway because of all the shake, rattle, and rolling on its maiden voyage. Ain’t life fun!
OMG! You're a hoot! I don't know that answer yet. Both Thor & Lippert want to be here at the same time, was told today, but didn't happen. I'm cool, all the service shops are crazy busy. If they don't find the problem, then I go to Thor's service dept. 3 top people has said it will be fixed one way or another!

You see, last year, the transmission had to be rebuilt while in Oregon. Then on my way to Wakarusa as I was leaving Springfield, MO my engine died on the freeway. Had to be towed to the junkyard of the tow company til I could find a Commercial Ford Repair Shop that could take me in! That was Kansas City as a fire had burned the bays in St. Louis. Needed a new engine, 300 on backorder! And no clue when 1 would arrive. I dry docked for 2.5 weeks on their lot til I was moved to 110 volt plug ins. Fridge went on an extension cord to one, 50 amp cord dropped down to a 2nd separate plug, none on the same breaker. This was during a snow storm & cold weather. They ended up finding a short block & rebuilt to get me on the road. Understand your frustrations.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:59 AM   #24

THOR #14259
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibley View Post
OMG! You're a hoot! I don't know that answer yet. Both Thor & Lippert want to be here at the same time, was told today, but didn't happen. I'm cool, all the service shops are crazy busy. If they don't find the problem, then I go to Thor's service dept. 3 top people has said it will be fixed one way or another!

You see, last year, the transmission had to be rebuilt while in Oregon. Then on my way to Wakarusa as I was leaving Springfield, MO my engine died on the freeway. Had to be towed to the junkyard of the tow company til I could find a Commercial Ford Repair Shop that could take me in! That was Kansas City as a fire had burned the bays in St. Louis. Needed a new engine, 300 on backorder! And no clue when 1 would arrive. I dry docked for 2.5 weeks on their lot til I was moved to 110 volt plug ins. Fridge went on an extension cord to one, 50 amp cord dropped down to a 2nd separate plug, none on the same breaker. This was during a snow storm & cold weather. They ended up finding a short block & rebuilt to get me on the road. Understand your frustrations.
Oh boy! You’ve been through it! My husband and I full-timed for 8 1/2 years before he passed away and in all those years we had a few exciting mishaps like yours and mine now but not so many in such a short time! I hope we’re not scaring Lizzy with our posts. She needs to know sometimes these things happen and you just have to roll with it. Some day we’ll have to meet around a campfire and have a good laugh!
Old 04-26-2019, 01:13 AM   #25

THOR #7663
Your right, she does need to know. But this stress is nothing like I went thru being with my ex. This is my 2nd 2015 Hurricane, I picked up the owners extended warranty. Not thrilled with it, could never use it. So when I drove from NM to Florida to trade it in for my current one. And I love, love my floor plan. I Googled & found wholesale extended warranties, that has been the best thing I've done. Even though Ford covered the majors, they've covered 90% of my other problems, plus I received a lot of money back from the 1st RV, even I paid $50.00 to transfer. I covered 1/2 of the new one.

Each incident was never a biggie except getting a behemoth with a car on a tow dolly off the road to safety. I was fixing to exit for an overpass. I can't ever complain.

I'd love to meet up 1 day! What's funny, I have a girlfriend in Texas named Lizzie & this rig blew her mind. I'm glad Lizzieone started this thread since your confirmation came after my RVer neighbor had said that 2 hours earlier. Again, Thanks
Old 04-26-2019, 04:56 AM   #26

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
THOR #14946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzyone View Post
Bought a new Freedom Elite and getting ready to head out in Oregon...feeling a bit nervous lest something go wrong ..I have zero auto/coach repair skills. Any advice for a solo female traveler?
I envy the traveling, I'm still tied down and only get away on short trips.
Enjoy every moment and don't worry about the things that haven't happened yet.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #27

THOR #14259
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmc View Post
I envy the traveling, I'm still tied down and only get away on short trips.
Enjoy every moment and don't worry about the things that haven't happened yet.
I agree, Lizzy. For every bad experience you’ll have a thousand great ones! Relax and enjoy!
Old 04-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #28

Model: Axis24.1
THOR #12527
Single here too

Remember you can do it. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Don’t advertise that you are alone. Be aware of your surroundings.
I’m actually heading from Arizona to that neck of the woods later this summer.
Good luck and enjoy!
Old 04-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #29

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE
State: South Carolina
THOR #13865
I am also a solo traveler. My husband and I traveled all over the US. When he passed away, I did not want to give up traveling in an RV so I sold our 5th wheel and truck camper and bought me a 25" Freedom Elite motor coach. I tow my Jeep wrangler behind. So far the farthest I have been is Maggie Valley, NC. Getting ready to head out for about 2 months. Headed to the New England states that me and my husband did not get to. Yes, I am a little nervous, but also excited. This forum is a great source for help. You can always find nice people in campgrounds also if you need help.

Safe travels.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:09 PM   #30

Model: Four Winds 33SW
State: Idaho
THOR #4147
Quote:
Thanks much! My first trip was a big one...went to Utah. I just bought a Chevy Spark to tow...I think that has upped my level of nervousness...thinking about hooking and unhooking tow car. Perhaps I need to stop thinking so much!

Hey Lizzieone! We are in Boise and also tow a Spark. My Super C doesn't know it's back there. Just enjoy your time out on the road. Little issues will come up - many of us are here to help if needed.

Safe travels!
Old 04-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #31

THOR #14604
Quote:
Bought a new Freedom Elite and getting ready to head out in Oregon...feeling a bit nervous lest something go wrong ..I have zero auto/coach repair skills. Any advice for a solo female traveler?
I too am a solo female camping in a Freedom Elite (my 5th RV). I can now fix minor repairs thanks to YouTube and online RV diy websites. Just do it!
Old 04-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #32

State: North Carolina
THOR #5951
Quote:
There will be countless suggestions and RV service areas that will be helpful as you solo. If you are not familiar with the operation of a firearm, seek some training and be sure to have on board something akin to a high caliber S&M.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #33

THOR #11909
Solo women

Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing! There are MANY solo women out here. You will be surprised about what you already know and will learn. This forum has taught me so much. I'm still learning every day. You will surrounded by many who go out of their way to be helpful.
Be sure to have insurance and a roadside assistance plan. A roadside assistance plan from an RV group is much better than a typical car plan.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #34

State: Massachusetts
THOR #14129
Traveling Solo

I just bought a Gemini 24tx, and I travel alone as well. I'm glad to hear that there are people willing to help! I want to do some longer trips this year, and I am a little nervous to travel alone, but like the other loners on this tread, it's either I don't go, or go alone. I'm not willing to not go...so ...looks like it will be trips alone!
-Lisa
Old 04-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #36

THOR #5951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhehir View Post
I just bought a Gemini 24tx, and I travel alone as well. I'm glad to hear that there are people willing to help! I want to do some longer trips this year, and I am a little nervous to travel alone, but like the other loners on this tread, it's either I don't go, or go alone. I'm not willing to not go...so ...looks like it will be trips alone!
-Lisa
Safe, enjoyable and great wandering . Take S&W with you, alone or with someone. B well, B safe.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:45 AM   #37

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhehir View Post
-Lisa
I travel alone. I've been fulltime rv'ing for nearly 4 months now. I do my best to practice situational awareness & I take advantage of tools & technology to assist me in not being an easy meal for a predator.

I also teach the NRA "Refuse To Be A Victim" seminar which has been endorsed by multiple law enforcement agencies since 1991. It is a non-firearms program that teaches the attitudes, situational awareness skills, & mindset to prevent predators from perceiving you as an easy target for their bad actions.

Anyone, male or female, can be targeted by predators. Are women targeted more frequently? Absolutely. Because in general we are perceived by predators to be an easier meal than a similarly situated male that the predator comes across.

Most predators are not stalking us specifically (leaving out the sociopathic predators). We are simply a target of opportunity. If we look like a plate of prime rib walking by & unaware of the predators in our midst, we are likely to become the blue plate special.

Most predators are cowards & lazy. They choose "easy" targets, those folks that appear weak, or who actually are weak. Weakness isn't necessarily a matter of being female. Illness, age, traveling in places or at times when predators feel assured of time to act without interference & preferably w/out witnesses can all be the deciding factor in who becomes prey.

I use the word predator & prey on purpose, not to dehumanize these criminals but as a simple analogy. Think about the animal kingdom. What differentiates the predator from prey? Now think about the crime stories you've read about or experienced. The analogy is pretty sound

It's not hard to learn to "act" like something that the average predator will pass by in search of easier prey. You don't have to be a Rambo or GI Jane. The old joke about not outrunning a grizzly; just outrunning the slowest guy running from the bear? Refusing to be a victim looks a lot like that.

Anyone can learn it & anyone can do it. But it takes practice & most imporrantly it takes awareness. Awareness is 90% of the program, about 5% is learning to use tools & technology to assist you in not becoming easy prey despite any perceived or real weaknesses. The other 5% is practicing your acting skills (unless you really are a Rambo or a GI Jane!)...

Sorry for the rather pedantic post - it's jus, I don't want to see anyone turn away from such a great adventure, whether or not that adventure requires journeying solo. Everyone, solo or not, has to be concerned w/predators (if they aren't, they may be the next blue plate special!).

I've become a much more confident & happy human being since I began solo rv'ing. I have a great support system here within the forum. You'll find your stride here. Please don't pass on this opportunity jus because you're gonna be a solo rv'er - the good far outweighs the bad. Go out with some basic preparation & then go have a fantastic journey!
Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #38

THOR #7663
How is the RVing life working for you? Since its been a awhile since we've heard anything more.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #39

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE
State: South Carolina
THOR #13865
Nova Scotia

Well, me and my two pups made the trip to Nova Scotia. Been on the road since May 15. On the way back home now. It has been a good trip. Only big thing that happened to me was that my kitchen faucet decided to leak. It was the last day in New Brunswick. I had it replaced at the Camping World in New Hampshire. Very nice people. I have met people from all over. England, Switzerland, Germany. Even stayed in the same campground twice with the folks from Switzerland. Met a couple from Mississippi on my second stop on the trip and ended up spending the week of the 4th at the same campground in New Hampshire. Small world.

Safe travels everyone.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #40

THOR #7663
Glad you've had a fun trip, you can meet lifelong friends just from your RV. Have safe travels.