Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2016, 03:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Trombetta/BIRD

Need some education as a new RV'r. I read a lot on the forum individuals making reference to a "Trombetta" and a "BIRD". Although interesting I have no idea what they are or their function other than being electrical. If someone has a minute to school an old dog I'd appreciate a simple briefing on them. Thanks and stay safe.

Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
these are basically devices that 'route' electrical power, especially DC power, from the Alternator to the batteries/charger, etc.,,, so that you have several different options of battery charging during travel, when using the generator, etc.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Download Ed's outstanding Axis/Vegas manual and it will answer most if not all your questions on your new vehicle.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L

If you have any other questions after reading pg 46-50, ask away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4075.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	3496  
Old 12-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Trombeta is the brand name for a solenoid that connects the house battery to the chassis battery when the engine is running.

BIRD stands for "Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay" which allows either the House system (converter) to charge the chassis battery or the engine generator to charge the house battery depending on which circuit has the higher voltage.

Google "rv bird relay" for more info.

Edit: Older RVs used a Trombeta while newer RVs use a BIRD. Mine has a Trombeta that lasted about a year before failing. I replaced it with a similar solenoid, not a Trombeta, from eBay which has lasted for about 10 years without a problem.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
Trombeta is the brand name for a solenoid that connects the house battery to the chassis battery when the engine is running.

BIRD stands for "Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay" which allows either the House system (converter) to charge the chassis battery or the engine generator to charge the house battery depending on which circuit has the higher voltage.

Google "rv bird relay" for more info.

Edit: Older RVs used a Trombeta while newer RVs use a BIRD. Mine has a Trombeta that lasted about a year before failing. I replaced it with a similar solenoid, not a Trombeta, from eBay which has lasted for about 10 years without a problem.
Not exactly. Different RVs may not use a BIRD, but the Trombetta and BIRD serve two different functions. The BIRD (used in some but not all Axis/Vegas) actually opens and closes the Trombetta (which is nothing more than a dumb solenoid). The BIRD senses the voltage in the battery banks and opens/closes the Trombetta to allow both battery banks to charge off of either the alternator, generator or shore power. The Battery Control center (installed in some Axis/Vegas units) serves the same function and may or may not work in conjunction with a BIRD/Trombetta.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Not exactly. Different RVs may not use a BIRD, but the Trombetta and BIRD serve two different functions. The BIRD (used in some but not all Axis/Vegas) actually opens and closes the Trombetta (which is nothing more than a dumb solenoid). The BIRD senses the voltage in the battery banks and opens/closes the Trombetta to allow both battery banks to charge off of either the alternator, generator or shore power. The Battery Control center (installed in some Axis/Vegas units) serves the same function and may or may not work in conjunction with a BIRD/Trombetta.
Thanks for the clarification.
My rig is an older one and has only the dumb solenoid, not even a Trombeta any more.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Thanks to everyone for the information and guidance on the Trombetta/BIRD question. I down loaded Ed's manual as well and have a much better understanding of the systems. Appreciate it. Merry Christmas to all and stay safe.
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote