Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2022, 04:49 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
TSD Discount

Just recceived this E-Mail from TSD/Open Roads.

Pilot, Flying J, One9-
No Longer Accepted

Effective January 1st, Open Roads will no longer allow transactions of any type at Pilot ,Flying J or One9 locations. We have been in discussion with Pilot over the past two years toward the possibility of a renewed partnership and discount opportunity that unfortunately did not materialize. While disappointed, we do feel at this time we must remove them from our fuel program to reduce misunderstandings of discount locations. Again in closing, the EFS Open Roads Card will NOT be accepted for purchasing fuel or additional products as of January 1,2023 at all Pilot, Flying J, and One9 locations.
Thank You,
Open Roads Administration

Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post

Pilot, Flying J, One9-
No Longer Accepted

Effective January 1st, Open Roads will no longer allow transactions of any type at Pilot ,Flying J or One9 locations. We have been in discussion with Pilot over the past two years toward the possibility of a renewed partnership and discount opportunity that unfortunately did not materialize. While disappointed, we do feel at this time we must remove them from our fuel program to reduce misunderstandings of discount locations. Again in closing, the EFS Open Roads Card will NOT be accepted for purchasing fuel or additional products as of January 1,2023 at all Pilot, Flying J, and One9 locations.
Thank You,
That’s old news. Haven’t gotten a discount there since Good Sam raised Cain about their exclusive RV agreement with PFJ. This happened about 2 years ago. They would accept the card but not give the discount and you’d get stuck with the EFS transaction fee.

TSD’s trucks could use PFJ but RVs could not.

Good Sam can kiss off and I’ve quit using Pilot altogether.
Old 12-22-2022, 07:45 PM   #3

Model: SOB
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
That’s old news. Haven’t gotten a discount there since Good Sam raised Cain about their exclusive RV agreement with PFJ. This happened about 2 years ago. They would accept the card but not give the discount and you’d get stuck with the EFS transaction fee.

TSD’s trucks could use PFJ but RVs could not.

Good Sam can kiss off and I’ve quit using Pilot altogether.
True, they would accept the card , but No discounts.. Now [or rather after the 1st,] They will not even honor the card for any purchase..
This just makes it "Official"

No Biggie for us , and I also have the "Mudflap" app.. Normally not quite as good of discounts but very easy to acquire and use.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:39 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Call me cynical, but I learned a long time ago... if I'm getting a "discount", guaranteed SOMEONE ELSE is paying for it. It's a big shell game...
Old 12-23-2022, 05:00 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Discounts always costs me more than was earned. I usually had to spend time going out of my way. Then the cost of fuel to go out of my way. They're just not worth it to me for such a mundane thing as a nickel on fuel.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 10:06 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I agree.... these programs are more hassle than they are worth in many cases.

Pilot, Loves, FJ and T/A are always much higher for diesel than a regular gas station anyway.

My coach is ~36' and with my spare tire carrier, town bar and Wrangler I'm about 54' and I use most Auto Diesel stations that have pumps on the outside of their islands. I can often save up to $0.50 a gallon or more off diesel right out of the gate than the truck stop across the street.

Then I use my Costco Visa, which pays 4% Cash Back for up to $7000 on fuel purchases annually. For 3 months out of the year I use my Discover, which pays 5% Cash Back on $1500 in fuel purchases. If I exceed the $7000, which I did this year I switch to my Amex Blue and that pays me 3% Cash Back on fuel as well.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I usually only fuel every other day with easily 1000 mile range

By looking ahead with Gas Buddy and Google Earth i pick a station, typically, $.50 or more below truck stops

With 60 degrees wheel cut the outside pumps are accessible with the F150 in tow and 43 foot coach

Sams Club credit card gives 5% on 5000 fuel so cash back and then next card

Traveling some routes often you can plan ahead such as the truck stop at Bunker Hill Ks on I70

Sinclair fuel discounted below the discount cards, same price cash or credit

I had the TSD and separate bank account, but canceled it a couple years back
Old 12-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Sorry if iI disagree if the experts but here is the TSD proof taken a couple minutes ago.

As a note, this was listed in their app under trip planning, and yes it does require planning fuel stops.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D0184AAE-2F53-4333-9DCB-2883016F6581.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	40428
Old 12-23-2022, 03:00 PM   #9

THOR #9178
Quote:
Sorry if iI disagree if the experts but here is the TSD proof taken a couple minutes ago.

As a note, this was listed in their app under trip planning, and yes it does require planning fuel stops.

Attachment 40428
Interesting to see fuel high there as compared to here. I filled at $3.59 and 5% off with card here off I70

fuel where your at $1.50 per gallon on average higher, that is signcant

Is fuel in the area that much higher than the midwest?
Old 12-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Interesting to see fuel high there as compared to here. I filled at $3.59 and 5% off with card here off I70

Only $1.50 higher for diesel? Here, it's closer to $2.00 higher.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:22 PM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Prices for diesel.... and gas for that matter...... vary greatly by state and station......

I left Cape Coral, FL on Saturday to head to PA for the holidays and Diesel was as low as $4.25 and Regular was $2.79. I filled up in SC and paid $4.30 for Diesel and then $4.99 in WV.

Here in western PA Diesel is $5.79 and Regular is $3.89. Just one of the many reasons I moved to Florida 12 years ago.

The one common denominator is truck stops are much higher than a general gas station in almost every state. That's why I don't bother with the discount programs. I signed up with Shell Fuel Rewards and occasionally get 15 cents off a gallon as well.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:23 PM   #12

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Only $1.50 higher for diesel? Here, it's closer to $2.00 higher.
Quite a few were, Casey's was $4.69 in your area
Old 12-23-2022, 03:23 PM   #13

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
The Open Roads TSD discounted price varys per region and station. Loves is probably the worst at $.20 and this summer the TA, Speedway, and some independent like the Wiegle's in TN, were often $1.00 or a bit better. That was a trip from south Alabama to upstate NY and back. I also checked gas buddy along the way and found the TSD discounted pricing the best. A couple times I made slight alterations to my routing but none of the route changes added any significant costs or miles. For those who are paranoid about tying your bank account to the card, I opened a separate account dedicated just for the TSD expenditures. As EA37TS said, trips and fueling require planning but that planning can mean big $$$ savings.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:36 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post

To be honest, I don’t know and I don’t care. I care about what I pay for fuel at home (SC) and during my planned travel along my planned route.

My point is prior planning and discount programs can save folks considerably regardless of what other folks think about the major fuel stops. Even an average 40 cent discount per gallon on 75 gallons adds up across a 7000 mile trip.

7000 miles / 7 mpg (being honest) = 1000 gallons x .40 discount per gallon (est) = 400.00 save during the trip. That is not chump change. And in full disclosure the actual savings during our summer trip was 569.80.

Now if I can only find a discount program for DEF I’ll be good to go.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:52 PM   #15

THOR #9178
Quote:
To be honest, I don’t know and I don’t care. I care about what I pay for fuel at home (SC) and during my planned travel along my planned route.

My point is prior planning and discount programs can save folks considerably regardless of what other folks think about the major fuel stops. Even an average 40 cent discount per gallon on 75 gallons adds up across a 7000 mile trip.

7000 miles / 7 mpg (being honest) = 1000 gallons x .40 discount per gallon (est) = 400.00 save during the trip. That is not chump change. And in full disclosure the actual savings during our summer trip was 569.80.

Now if I can only find a discount program for DEF I’ll be good to go.
Absolutely agree on the planned fuel stops. Savings, access, and overall, less stress.

We have used DEF for well over 10 years so typically buy it in jugs rather than truck stops, since we had to start with jugs and totes. I buy several on sale in Menards or whomever has a good deal on it and stock it in the shop. fill the tank prior to leaving on a trip and if a long trip, then a couple in the storage compartment. Has worked for many years and saved quite a few dollars. Actually, do it more for the convenience as I am not a fan of having to move the motor home to top off at the bulk pumps.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:54 PM   #16

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Here in the Carolinas, Harris Teeter (a grocery store chain, owned, I think, by Kroger now) has a deal if you shop with them and spend "x" a month (no problem for us), you get a discount on gas. Thirty cents off of 2.55 a gallon. Not bad.
I wait until the truck or RV are running on fumes.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:44 PM   #17

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Here in the Carolinas, Harris Teeter (a grocery store chain, owned, I think, by Kroger now) has a deal if you shop with them and spend "x" a month (no problem for us), you get a discount on gas. Thirty cents off of 2.55 a gallon. Not bad.
I wait until the truck or RV are running on fumes.
In the Midwest Kroger owns several chains as well and Dillions is the one in many KS towns. The do the same thing and you can get extra points and often it will jump to a dollar but limited gallons. The higher discounts only apply to 20 gallons max but works for DW's car and maybe a little for the F150.

Worth using for sure
Old 12-24-2022, 12:34 AM   #18

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
I think ours is limited to 35 gallons.
My Ram takes 32 gallons, so not much waste on the discount, but the camper takes 55 gallons.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:40 AM   #19
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I agree.... these programs are more hassle than they are worth in many cases.

Pilot, Loves, FJ and T/A are always much higher for diesel than a regular gas station anyway.

My coach is ~36' and with my spare tire carrier, town bar and Wrangler I'm about 54' and I use most Auto Diesel stations that have pumps on the outside of their islands. I can often save up to $0.50 a gallon or more off diesel right out of the gate than the truck stop across the street.

Then I use my Costco Visa, which pays 4% Cash Back for up to $7000 on fuel purchases annually. For 3 months out of the year I use my Discover, which pays 5% Cash Back on $1500 in fuel purchases. If I exceed the $7000, which I did this year I switch to my Amex Blue and that pays me 3% Cash Back on fuel as well.
I use Costco for gas, but Costco eliminated diesel because semi trucks were filling up and not allowing RV/cars to get into fill up. The reason given bu Costco was that they were not selling enough diesel, but that is hogwash.
Old 12-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #20

Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
State: Washington
THOR #18658
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post

Pilot, Flying J, One9-
No Longer Accepted

Thank You,
Another example of Pilot/Flying J not wanting to share profits and their extremely high prices. Pilot/Flying J is willing to sacrifice a large swath of customers for perceived bottom line?