Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: South Dakota
THOR #12005
TV campground hookup not working

I just purchased a 2016 Challenger. It has Seiki tv’s. I can’t get campground cable to work. Is it the TV or me?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Do you have the amplifier in the RV turned off (its usually a little button right next to the main antenna jack--you usually don't hook anything to that jack and its typically hidden in a cupboard in the kitchen. Push the button so the light turns off).

After doing that do you have the TV properly set to cable instead of antenna?

After doing that: Your TV may not have a QAM tuner so you'd either need a box, or a new TV--your choice.

It is also possible that the cable channels at the campground are encrypted and you'll need to get a box from the office.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #3

THOR #12005
Thanks. I’ve read other forum comments on this and it doesn’t appear that the Seiki TV’s have the QAM tuner! Looks like a new tv is on my list ��
Old 12-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #4

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
The Seiki TV in my 2016 works flawlessly on campground cable. Make sure the amplifier box is off, no light on, change the user mode on the TV remote to cable and of course make sure you hooked up the cable from your camper side to the park hook up usually at the electrical post.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:18 AM   #5

THOR #12005
Thanks! I haven’t seen that shutoff. I’ll do some looking.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:24 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingerosa View Post
I just purchased a 2016 Challenger. It has Seiki tv’s. I can’t get campground cable to work. Is it the TV or me?

Could be the TVs or it could be you. Some campgrounds have cable that works fine with the Sucky TVs and some have cable that won't. After staying at a few that didn't, I replaced just one TV. Since then, every cg we have stayed at worked fine with our remaining Sucky TV. Your results will vary...
Old 12-17-2018, 01:57 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Yep - the Seiki TVs don't play well on digital signals. Initially I used a digital converter. It needs to be placed it inline. I placed it where I could use it as a HDMI input to the HDMI distribution box. Recently I upgraded the TVs to ones with QAM tuners. This is the converter I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1