Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.6
State: North Carolina
THOR #16478
TV Wiring question

Hi all,
I didn't find this in a search of past post topics. We set up our TV for the first time, and had cable as an option at our last campground. The TV and the cable box were talking, but the cable to the back of the box wasn't making connection. We direct wired through a window for our stay.

We have a Thor Axis 25.6 (2019). The guys at the park who helped thought there must be a way to switch from antenna as the source to cable as the source, all with the same cable (as we only have one cable input back where our power hook-up is). The internal cable is wired to the TV in the bedroom and in the living area (and we assume the outside TV which we haven't used).

Anyone have any idea how to make the cable to the TV switch from antenna to cable offered in a park? I didn't see switches anywhere. I did see a female end of the cable in a kitchen cabinet near the electronic panel, but haven't any idea why there would be one there.

Thanks,
Grace

Old 02-05-2020, 09:34 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Main thing is to make sure the antenna booster is turned OFF if hooking up to cable, and ON when using the rooftop antenna. As you'll see in the picture below, the button is often difficult to find. Persistence pays off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Booster is On.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	22456  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:10 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat & Grace View Post
Hi all,
I didn't find this in a search of past post topics. We set up our TV for the first time, and had cable as an option at our last campground. The TV and the cable box were talking, but the cable to the back of the box wasn't making connection. We direct wired through a window for our stay.

We have a Thor Axis 25.6 (2019). The guys at the park who helped thought there must be a way to switch from antenna as the source to cable as the source, all with the same cable (as we only have one cable input back where our power hook-up is). The internal cable is wired to the TV in the bedroom and in the living area (and we assume the outside TV which we haven't used).

Anyone have any idea how to make the cable to the TV switch from antenna to cable offered in a park? I didn't see switches anywhere. I did see a female end of the cable in a kitchen cabinet near the electronic panel, but haven't any idea why there would be one there.

Thanks,
Grace
Hi Grace !
If your newer Axis is like ours...in the top shelf of cabinets over the kitchen sink...is where the living room tv setup is....there you will find a small button...when you depress it..it will be either green or unlit...I do it so automatically, I forget which is which...but I believe when green it indicates you are on antenna...push it and light goes off...means you are on cable tv...NOW...if you have some of the ancient TV's which Thor put in the Axis..ours is 2016...these tv's are not QAM ready...which means that some more progressive RV parks have a system that is not compatible with your
TVs. In that case...eventually, you will want to replace them with new units. During our December trip to FL...we finally got tired of not getting all the channels we desired (especially ESPN) … so replaced the bedroom with a 24" Vizio $118 … it is smaller than the 35" which came with the Axis but we don't notice any difference to be honest. Our next change will be the living room tv and eventually the outdoor tv which we do not use often.

so there ya go....I am sure you will receive many more informative replies to your post...good luck ! and enjoy !!

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat & Grace View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,
Grace
What "cable box"? Some RV parks have encrypted cable TV and you do need a cable box to decrypt the signal for use in your TV, but most places still have unencrypted cable TV. To use unencrypted cable TV in your RV you need to:

Connect the cable to your external cableTV in connection.
As noted above, turn off your antenna amplifier.
Turn on your TV, go to settings, set to CABLE, scan for channels - some TVs don't have a separate setting for OTA or CABLE but scan for either/both.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Connect the cable to your external cableTV in connection.
As noted above, turn off your antenna amplifier.
Turn on your TV, go to settings, set to CABLE, scan for channels - some TVs don't have a separate setting for OTA or CABLE but scan for either/both.
^^^^ That. I have to go to Source on my TV's using the remotes and select cable, then scan for channels.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
^^^^ That. I have to go to Source on my TV's using the remotes and select cable, then scan for channels.
yes...regardless of your TV brand..whenever you hookup, you must go into your Menu or Source … to tell your TV what source you are viewing.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #7

Model: Axis 25.6
State: North Carolina
THOR #16478
Got it figured out

You all are awesome. Found the button in the kitchen cabinet and happily send cable!

Thank you.
Grace
Old 02-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #8

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Getting the TV off the mount requires some one with small hands, the mounting bracket is about 8 inches wide on the back center of the tv, put your hands up from the bottom an feel for the outside of the mounting bracket and you will feel a tab about 1 1/2 inch long on each side and pull the tabs toward you as you are facing the tv, the bottom should pull out and then just lift the tv up to remove from the mounting bracket, all the connections were loose on all my cable connections, I replaced my tv with a 12 volt unit the same size and use a fire stick, I do not use any of the on board cable accessories anymore, I did have to buy a MIFI box from Verizon and I get all the pay channels everywhere I go,