Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2024, 11:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #30798
Type of Toad Air Brakes?

Hi Friends -

I bought a 2017 Palazzo and it already has a Toad air brake system on it - I am 99% sure that it is a pre-2021 Demco or SMI Air Force One. The reason I am asking is so that I order the right vehicle-side kit. I traced the air line from the nozzle back as far as I could go with the cold, wet, and muck here at the moment but didn't see any other components with a brand or model number - it definitely keeps going up & around the engine but I couldn't find the end of it.

Is an AFO vs a Roadmaster system identifiable from the output receptacle? I attached a couple of pics. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240301_152702.png
Views:	8
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	45348   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240301_152640.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	45349  

Old 03-02-2024, 02:06 AM   #2

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicVetMBA View Post
Hi Friends -

I bought a 2017 Palazzo and it already has a Toad air brake system on it - I am 99% sure that it is a pre-2021 Demco or SMI Air Force One. The reason I am asking is so that I order the right vehicle-side kit. I traced the air line from the nozzle back as far as I could go with the cold, wet, and muck here at the moment but didn't see any other components with a brand or model number - it definitely keeps going up & around the engine but I couldn't find the end of it.

Is an AFO vs a Roadmaster system identifiable from the output receptacle? I attached a couple of pics. Thanks in advance.
That is a standard 1/4" quick connect fitting. I had a hydraulic brake motorhome that had a small air compressor that had a valve that was triggered by movement if the break pedal. It had the same fitting you show.

So that is probably tapped into the brake air line on your coach. The TOAD rapt could be a Roadmaster Break master system which is little more than an airline routed inside your TOAD to a removable air ram that operated the brake. I am sure there are other system available as well but I do not know who makes them. Camping World or any major RV dealer will be able to identify which system you need. I would not be surprised if the operating parts are interchangeable.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 02:19 AM   #3

THOR #30798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
That is a standard 1/4" quick connect fitting. I had a hydraulic brake motorhome that had a small air compressor that had a valve that was triggered by movement if the break pedal. It had the same fitting you show.

So that is probably tapped into the brake air line on your coach. The TOAD rapt could be a Roadmaster Break master system which is little more than an airline routed inside your TOAD to a removable air ram that operated the brake. I am sure there are other system available as well but I do not know who makes them. Camping World or any major RV dealer will be able to identify which system you need. I would not be surprised if the operating parts are interchangeable.
That is my thought as well - if the only output is air pressure when I tap the brakes, as long as the air line jumper hose connects to the both vehicles correctly, I can't see how which specific brand would make a difference.

It's smaller than a typical compressor air hose, for giggles to see if it was operable I grabbed an air hose and an inflator end but the coach outlet is about half the diameter of a shop air hose fitting.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:39 AM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Hi Friends -

that is a universal quick disconnect for the air brake. Is there a 6 pin plug in the Palazzo?
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 11:47 AM   #5

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Hi Friends -

The motorhome is just supplying the air to what ever braking system is used in the toad. You could install your choice of braking system in the toad and hook to that connection. It should be Tee connected into the air line to the motorhome brakes and not the motorhome air supply. In that manner you will get proportional braking to the toad when you apply the brakes in the motorhome.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:41 PM   #6

THOR #30798
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
that is a universal quick disconnect for the air brake. Is there a 6 pin plug in the Palazzo?
It has a 7-pin - looks very original/factory. I know it was functional because the seller had a Jeep that they sold separately. They sold it separately with the Blue Ox tow bar.

The RV was parked for several years - from about 2019-2023 when I bought it, it only had 11,000 miles on it, so I am positive the system would be from about 2016-2017 era.

Apologies for the photos appearing upside down - I didn't take them like that - weird website thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240302_125657.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	45359   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240302_125701.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	45360