Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2022, 10:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #20429
U-Haul Games

Made a reservation 8 weeks ago for a U-Haul dolly to tow our car to Minnesota on the 27th of June.

Yesterday, I got a call from U-Haul saying that there were no dollys to be had anywhere. I asked them why now 4 days before we were to leave and got no answer. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put on hold for 5 minutes. When the CSR got back on the line she said that I would get my dolly and they would text me the pickup information -- which they did.

What is going on here? Last year I had to drive an hour out of my way to pick up a dolly for the return leg of the trip despite the fact that I had a reservation for a local dealer.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by makitso View Post
Made a reservation 8 weeks ago for a U-Haul dolly to tow our car to Minnesota on the 27th of June.

Yesterday, I got a call from U-Haul saying that there were no dollys to be had anywhere. I asked them why now 4 days before we were to leave and got no answer. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put on hold for 5 minutes. When the CSR got back on the line she said that I would get my dolly and they would text me the pickup information -- which they did.

What is going on here? Last year I had to drive an hour out of my way to pick up a dolly for the return leg of the trip despite the fact that I had a reservation for a local dealer.
They are operating under their business model and under the terms of the contract you signed which has an equipment availability clause.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:10 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
That is typical for UHaul. My friends went online and reserved a box trailer for moving. They did it more than 30 days in advance. They got a confirmation and pick up location. They drove 600 miles to where they had their storage lot. 3 days before they were to pick up the trailer, they received a call stating that they do not have a trailer for them available. They were told that there "Might" be one available in another state with a drive time of 6 plus hours but no guarantee it would be there for them. Needless to say they were not happy and were without a trailer.

Paul
Old 06-26-2022, 12:05 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
In today's world, you're lucky you got a human on the phone. You know... things are just "magically" more expensive now...even those kids making minimum wage. Maybe it was a "supply chain disruption".

I am NOT making light of your situation... just pointing out how ridiculous some companies manage their "human resources".

The thing is, I remember a time not so long ago when people actually answered the phone before it rang 3 times... they were GLAD you called... and didn't make excuses when things didn't go to plan... BUT they never gave up on you. Today? Good luck...
Old 06-26-2022, 02:00 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by makitso View Post

Wow thanks for the heads up. Uhaul in montana and NM are great with inventory so no issues..Monday I have a hitch going on our car and uhaul called to say we will get it Saturday from El paso texas..Texas...
Good luck
Old 06-26-2022, 03:39 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
An acquaintance of mine runs a U Haul location as a franchisee. Everything they rent is based on availability. If someone moving to our area does not drop off a dolly, there is not one to rent out.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:45 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Has anyone ever been told, at the time you give the your credit card info, "we're sorry...there will not be anything available when you need it...we're not going to take your money"? Most people just cave to this practice.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:48 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Sounds like we need a new word to replace “confirmation”.

How about a little honesty and make it absolutely clear that they only “confirm” receiving a request, and that you have only been added to their schedule.

It’s not just U-Haul, other companies also overbook knowing occasionally a few customers will end up disgruntled. It’s better use of assets and lowers overall prices, but for me doesn’t excuse lack of transparency as when exclusions are buried in fine print they know 99+ percent of people don’t read, or would likely understand even if they took the time to do so.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Reading Chance's post got me to thinking that more and more companies seem to be treating customers as more of an inconvenience than as a necessity. My overall satisfaction as a customer sure has taken a hit in the last few years.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Reading Chance's post got me to thinking that more and more companies seem to be treating customers as more of an inconvenience than as a necessity. My overall satisfaction as a customer sure has taken a hit in the last few years.
Sign of the times, it goes along with the general dumbing down of Americans, I think it truly is degenerating

My experience with U-Haul was truck and pads rented for some excess furniture to be transfered 300 miles. No truck on pickup date but one 90 miles away and zero furniture pads

Bought blankets and paint drop clothes at the thrift store
Old 06-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Nothing new at Uhaul.
Creepy guy steals a Uhaul, unlucky guy loses a day due to flat tire, smart guy pays two extra days and unloads at his leisure...your Uhaul doesn't arrive in time for your pick-up. Pretty simple.

It's been this way since the 1960's.

The first rodeo is the hardest.

I've always been a walk-in when I needed a Uhaul. It's always worked out.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:45 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Sign of the times, it goes along with the general dumbing down of Americans, I think it truly is degenerating

My experience with U-Haul was truck and pads rented for some excess furniture to be transfered 300 miles. No truck on pickup date but one 90 miles away and zero furniture pads

Bought blankets and paint drop clothes at the thrift store
This is not a sign of the times. This is how UHaul has always operated. People don’t read their contract so they get what comes.

Start reading the friggin papers you sign and quit complaining.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:54 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #25683
tow dolly

I don't know what UHaul is charging for the dolly, but if it something you have to rent on a regular basis, why don't you buy one? FaceBook Marketplace has about a dozen of them here in the south east US. Almost half are well under $1000.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:30 PM   #14

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
This is not a sign of the times. This is how UHaul has always operated. People don’t read their contract so they get what comes.

So my daughter and I find a large U Haul facility near us online; but we decide to go down in person to eyeball the trailer to confirm what we wanted and hopefully to make friends.

So at the facility, I am in the line to order a 6' X12' trailer; but there must have been 5 people behind me. The lady processing our order seemed like she had just been fired from the Texas Motor Licensing office after 20 years of experience being rude. Anyway, I didn't read the friggin papers as I was rushed and who thinks major brands will screw you around, but since this thread is on point; I must complain, I must, I must;

So a week goes by we have our confirmed order at the location we chose for pickup. They did tell us it might not be available, but we would get one; but may have to go someplace else. So you can't say No is kind of my point, no matter what you read.

So they call us the day before pickup and say it is not available, tell us we need to go another location across town off the Dallas Tollway. For me absolute worse case because I was going to tow with RV, location I had chosen was right off I-35.

I sensed I was talking to U Haul National Customer Service not my local location. I accepted it was not available where I contracted. I just wanted another pickup location that was easy access for RV.

So I complained and complained but got nowhere. Then I said the magic word, Cancel. I asked if she had the ability to cancel, or if I had to go back to my local center

Suddenly she says she was seeing some more 6' X 12' Trailers in Dallas / Ft Worth area

I gave her my zip code and asked her to give me a list nearby. She found another large U Haul facility 3 miles from my house She changed the pickup location and we were good. Now why and how is that?

As fate would be, we had a brand new U Haul trailer, you could still smell the newness and paint inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220616_093426.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	38344

But U Haul was not done screwing us around. I had a one way rental so I paid about $150 for 3 days. We take the Trailer to the drop off location in Houston Texas per the contract the next day, two days early!!! There was no one there. We finally get owner of the drop off location who asked me to back into one of his spots that has no drive thru. I tell him it was on RV, and plus I wanted someone to acknowledge the drop off.

So we wait and come by, I had to back my RV with trailers in a spot because he had no way to move the tandem axle trailer!!!!

So anyways, I am done right? No, we would make it back to Dallas 4 days later. Then I get an email where they had charged my card and additional $44 because I dropped off 2 days late I had to listen to their sermon that my contract stated that it was a $20/day late fee Problem though , I was NOT late, I had returned it 2 day EARLY!!! Some consumers would not have caught this added charge.

With that being said, I don't know the alternative to UHaul, so I tolerate the crap. We have to, because unfortunate it now the American way. Values are all but non existent. Nonsense and the unthinkable of years ago reign as the OP has pointed out.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:07 PM   #15

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:

Was referring to people in general

Stating facts

Wasn't complaining, simply the way it is
Old 06-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
At uhaul las cruces nm if anyone needs anything come here ..I see over 50 trucks trailers etc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220627_091558.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	38352   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220627_091555.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	38353  

Name:	20220627_091552.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	38354  
Old 06-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #17

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
At uhaul las cruces nm if anyone needs anything come here ..I see over 50 trucks trailers etc
The lots I went to had triple if not more as they are very large U Haul Centers.

The problem is they are mostly all reserved for customers that are local pick up & return back to same location customers; so when someone wants to rent ONE WAY and drop off elsewhere, that is when it is not advantageous to some dealer's who will lose a dolly, trailer, truck etc. It is simple capacity management for them; but as OP pointed out, when done it is done so at the peril of some customer behind some BS fineprint in order to make a few extra bucks if they happen to get a local reservation for it the days you wanted it. Whether you read the contract or not, there is nothing you can do about it but complain if it happens to you. You will never know unless you rent one of those for say next week ONE WAY to Dallas. See if it available next week for pickup? I am sure that in most cases, they may have availability, but what a crappy way to do business, knowing your customers are planning moves and trips. Heck next time, I may rent from 3 separate facilities to play to win the U-Haul Game (as OP called it) they started. Surely one of the 3 will be available.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:47 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

.....cut..... So you can't say No is kind of my point, no matter what you read.

......cut.....

Yeah, it is kind of funny in the worst possible way, but correct too often. We really don’t have a truly viable choice if we want to live a somewhat normal life.

My realization started after buying a new phone or tablet years ago and given the choice to accept all terms and conditions, or else return to store. The item is useless otherwise because it remains inoperable unless buyer accepts.

The fine print can be interpreted to allow them to do pretty much anything they want — period. If anyone thinks otherwise they have no idea how attorneys for an Apple or Google etc. worded it just ambiguous enough by design. It’s like when they tell you how much they respect your privacy and then proceed to tell you how they have the right to share information with pretty much anyone.

And because “they” all do it, and everyone “needs” access to advanced technology to exist today, what choice is there? Soon we couldn’t even live in an isolated cabin like the Unabomber because paying bills in person or by mail with cash won’t be an option — not that it’s much of an option already. So yeah, accept terms and conditions or do without trailer, or medical care, or who knows what next. It’s futile to resist.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:52 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
I had to move a bedroom set, bed, dresser and mirror and wanted a 10 foot truck. When I got there they tried giving me a 26 foot box truck and pointed to their contract stating they can change equipment and canceling on day of rental results in loss of deposit.

A letter to UHaul resulted in the refund of my deposit. I wasn’t going to pay for the fuel in a 26 foot box for next to zero cargo.

Turned out the area I was going to was short large box trucks and they saw me as a paying customer moving their inventory.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #20

THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut....

Turned out the area I was going to was short large box trucks and they saw me as a paying customer moving their inventory.

Cruise America does similar with motorhomes going in to be refurbished, but at least are up front about it and provide rental for free or at a discount. Companies can use customers to their advantage for equipment relocation, but what they did to you makes most people angry and less likely to use them in future.

I have used U-Haul many times over the years without issues, but rent on the spot. Don’t recall ever reserving anything.

Tags
dolly, u-haul