Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2021, 02:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: Arizona
THOR #22036
Uneven heating

This may be just part of having an RV, but it seems keeping the entire unit evenly heated is impossible. The thermostat is in the hall, but the heat comes out right under the master bed. We cook while trying to sleep. Tried a fan; helped a tiny bit. We have a 2021 Miramar 35.2. Ideas? Similar experiences?

Old 03-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Keeping the air moving is your best option.
Get a smaill (tiny) fan or two: and have them right down next to (above is even better) the heater vents. They should push the hot air out into the res of your rig. another fan or two out there should push the cooler air back toward you.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
We use electric space heaters when on campground power. One small one in the bedroom, one bigger one in the living area. It helps and the coach furnace barely kicks on.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I too am a big fan of using electric space heaters when possible. Saves propane and works better too. We use a good quality oil filled radiator style centrally placed and generally it is sufficient for the kinds of weather in which we choose to camp. We were in Texas last month when temps got down in the low teens for several days. Our regular heater plus a small cube ceramic heater easily kept us in the 70s. The shore power was off for much of the time and we were able to run both heaters on the generator. It was trip!
Old 03-19-2021, 10:15 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Pete,
What brand ceramic heater are you using?
Old 03-19-2021, 11:04 PM   #6

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Pete,

What brand ceramic heater are you using?

Don’t remember (it’s blue though!). I don’t use it often as I had a similar heater burst into flames one time and the memory lingers. I also like that the radiator style heater provides more even and less directional heat. I won’t use the cube at night or when I’m away from the coach but I leave the other one going all the time.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:22 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Blue...
Old 03-20-2021, 01:55 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBronica View Post
This may be just part of having an RV, but it seems keeping the entire unit evenly heated is impossible. The thermostat is in the hall, but the heat comes out right under the master bed. We cook while trying to sleep. Tried a fan; helped a tiny bit. We have a 2021 Miramar 35.2. Ideas? Similar experiences?
I was wondering why you were trying to cook while sleeping............

Then I got it.

Your furnace is basically under your brd so the outlets in the bedroom will have the hottest and most air flow. Our ACE is the same way. The farther the outlets are from the furnace the less air flow and lower the air temperature will be.

You've see the replies about using space heaters and most RVers do that but sometimes that can't keep up and the furnace is heated.

So yeah we use a space heater with a thermostat out in the living area below the front A/C. We turn the fan on the A/C on low with all front vents closed but with the bedroom vents open. The warm air from the vent heater is directed to the bedroom. We usually set the furnace thermostat 3 to 4 degrees below the space heater's setting so if it gets too cold it will heat things up for a few minutes, but since that thermostat is near the space heater, the furnace won't run too long.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:01 AM   #9

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBronica View Post
Here's a thread with a similar situation.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...29m-24022.html

Fixing/shortening the hoses and adding a adjustable vent really helped our unbalanced heat. But as mentioned we use a small electric heater unless it's really cold.

Here's an adjustable vent.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXBEWT4...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #10

Model: Miramar
State: Arizona
THOR #22036
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Here's a thread with a similar situation.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...29m-24022.html

Fixing/shortening the hoses and adding a adjustable vent really helped our unbalanced heat. But as mentioned we use a small electric heater unless it's really cold.

Here's an adjustable vent.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXBEWT4...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! That is great advice!
Old 03-24-2021, 06:40 PM   #11

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Blue...
Well the first one was blue, it now is ash-en.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:04 PM   #12
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
We have a Lasko tower heater. We use it all the time. We don't usually leave it going when we're out but it does have an emergency shut off if it somehow tips over.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:42 PM   #13

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Well the first one was blue, it now is ash-en.

Lol. You’re a hoot, my friend!!
Old 03-24-2021, 11:43 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
It looks like the 35.2 has two floor vents toward the front. These are heat only and the factory is always very sloppy on the crap that ends up in these. The 'duct' is an opening in the floor supports from front to back between the floor you stand on and the ceiling of the basement storage.

Time to remove the grilles and check for the usual sawdust (many threads here) and if there is a blockage. You may need a bore scope but an iPhone can take a pic down under. From what I see they look like a straight shot under the floor to the heater under the bed (how do you stand the noise?). Back at the heater should be a couple of short flex ducts to the floor, remove the flange on the floor and check there also.

Since the return air is under your bed all the air from the vents tries to return back to your bedroom. I would shut off the one that under your bed and let the rest of them push the heat toward the front.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #15

State: Georgia
THOR #14989
We purchased all of the parts we needed to fix the issue. Not perfect but it works.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211116-111258_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	34825
Old 11-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Fortunately our furnace distributes the heat pretty evenly, but we use electric heat as much as possible to save on propane.

When AWAKE, we use a little $20 "Comfort Zone" ceramic heater - found at any big box store. I would urge EXTREME caution using ANY type of electric space heater when asleep. They are the biggest cause of home fires in winter - for good reason. As explained by other posters, use fans to more evenly distribute the furnace heat at night while asleep.

Also, paying more for one of those little heaters, thinking the more expensive ones are safer is a FALSE SENSE of security! They ALL work the same way... and if it says "1,500 watts"... claiming "more efficient" by one over another is a blatant lie.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:04 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I was wondering why you were trying to cook while sleeping............

Then I got it.

Your furnace is basically under your brd so the outlets in the bedroom will have the hottest and most air flow. Our ACE is the same way. The farther the outlets are from the furnace the less air flow and lower the air temperature will be.

You've see the replies about using space heaters and most RVers do that but sometimes that can't keep up and the furnace is heated.

So yeah we use a space heater with a thermostat out in the living area below the front A/C. We turn the fan on the A/C on low with all front vents closed but with the bedroom vents open. The warm air from the vent heater is directed to the bedroom. We usually set the furnace thermostat 3 to 4 degrees below the space heater's setting so if it gets too cold it will heat things up for a few minutes, but since that thermostat is near the space heater, the furnace won't run too long.

Same here...we use one or two small space heaters and turn on A/C to "fan only". It circulates the heat just as if it were a central system at home. Most nights I'll find myself turning one of the space heaters off and lowering the temp a bit on the other.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote