Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Update: CAUTION!!: Double Check Trailer Hitch

For the specifics you can check my original thread found here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...itch-4031.html. With this thread, I simply wanted to give an update to the significant problem I encountered in May AND to give credit where credit is due.

We were very fortunate that the frame problem didn't cost us and others more dearly. Morryde (the frame extension provider for Thor) supported us in repairing our issue and a quick turn around on the reimbursement. Rob Kolean (Service Manager, MORyde Intl) was understanding and helpful. I am sure that Rob was the advocate for getting the bill paid so quickly.

The repair technician found that towing my vehicle could not have caused the problem. And was equally sure that the frame tear had been caused by a very significant downward force.

So - check your frame where the hitch attaches to make sure that there isn't a tear. This seems to be a one-off issue.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
....cut....

The repair technician found that towing my vehicle could not have caused the problem. And was equally sure that the frame tear had been caused by a very significant downward force.

....cut.....
If not towing your toad, what else have you towed that would explain the failure? Most things don't break by themselves.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
If not towing your toad, what else have you towed that would explain the failure? Most things don't break by themselves.
It could have also been something either the dealer did; or in transit from the plant to the dealer.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
It could have also been something either the dealer did; or in transit from the plant to the dealer.
Jamie, anything is possible I guess, but that's highly unlikely. If failure had started prior to purchase, it's not probable that it would have taken 18,000 miles of driving to come to a head.

I agree the tear started and grew from a significant downward force at very back of frame extension, but that doesn't mean you have to put a heavy tongue weight on hitch.

You don't need a downward force to create a localized downward force at point of failure.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:04 AM   #5

THOR #1020
Folks, nothing has changed relative to the how this happened from the original thread. The repair technician was very clear, towing my vehicle did not cause the tear. I have been the only driver/operator of our coach since the day we took ownership. So whatever force caused this did not happen on my watch. How or who caused this before my ownership I cannot possibly know.

My point all along has been to keep our community aware of a problem and suggest that it is worth a visual inspection. If nothing is found during your inspection, the likelihood of this happening is virtually slim to none.

Also, wanted to let the community know that Morryde absolutely stood up and was counted on this fix.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:09 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 37tb
State: California
THOR #2678
Thanks BigBen for all you provided...
Old 07-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #7

THOR #1020
Raymond - felt it was a responsibility to pay back to my fellow Thor-ites after all this forum has helped us with.

Give your hitch an inspection to check for tears. After that I'd suggest a periodic inspection but IMO this was a one off situation. Just don't want anyone else to be endangered.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Raymond - felt it was a responsibility to pay back to my fellow Thor-ites after all this forum has helped us with.

Give your hitch an inspection to check for tears. After that I'd suggest a periodic inspection but IMO this was a one off situation. Just don't want anyone else to be endangered.
BigBen...thankyou for your original post and subsequent posts regarding your problem. Since we , pull a trailer or use the hitch mount motorcycle rack, Ron checks our undercarriage, etc. before, during and after a trip.
Failure happens. All the forum members who have more education in this field than we, are great contributors and we gather all the info provided, to try to keep our rv safe and operable.
Your incident has, certainly, brought to our attention a potential problem which a person would never expect !
You know, there are thousands of rv owners out there who do not participate in forums (or know they exist) that may be experiencing similar problems but we never hear about them.

Happy Camping ! and hoping you have safe travels !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Quote:
For the specifics you can check my original thread found here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...itch-4031.html. With this thread, I simply wanted to give an update to the significant problem I encountered in May AND to give credit where credit is due.

We were very fortunate that the frame problem didn't cost us and others more dearly. Morryde (the frame extension provider for Thor) supported us in repairing our issue and a quick turn around on the reimbursement. Rob Kolean (Service Manager, MORyde Intl) was understanding and helpful. I am sure that Rob was the advocate for getting the bill paid so quickly.

So - check your frame where the hitch attaches to make sure that there isn't a tear. This seems to be a one-off issue.
Glad everything worked out. Bottom line is thank goodness nothing bad happened because you would have owned the company. Morryde was so liable that they probably couldn't repair your hitch fast enough.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:27 PM   #10

THOR #1020
Ron and Kay - spot on. The shares on the various RV forums contribute to a collective intelligence that is incredible. Most of us go into RV ownership fairly ignorant of the all the ins and outs. I have found how to deal with issues, improve usefulness and who to contact when in doubt. Thus the reason for sharing my issue. What could have been catastrophic, wound an inconvenience - thankfully. For all my fellow vagabonds, be safe and enjoy the journey!