Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #7435
Used class A's

My wife and I are very near retirement and purchasing a used class A, My question is looking around we see so many with under 10,000 miles and quite a few with 5,000 miles. this is very confusing to us why would so many people sell theirs so quickly? Thank you for your help

Old 06-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Yes, there are allot of used coaches out there for sale with low miles. I purchased a 2011 Jayco Class C in 2012 with only 1500 miles. According to the dealer, they traded up/down (depending how you look at it) to a fifth wheel. I think folks that are especially new to RV'ing are more likely to either get out of RV'ing once they experience it or trade up/down to something else. I found that some years it is difficult to find the time to RV cause of everything else going on in life. So my unit sits around collecting no miles. The good news, there are allot of low mile units out there to choose from and hopefully, the previous owner worked out most of the bugs so you can spend more time enjoying rather than fixing.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Yes, there are allot of used coaches out there for sale with low miles. I purchased a 2011 Jayco Class C in 2012 with only 1500 miles. According to the dealer, they traded up/down (depending how you look at it) to a fifth wheel. I think folks that are especially new to RV'ing are more likely to either get out of RV'ing once they experience it or trade up/down to something else. I found that some years it is difficult to find the time to RV cause of everything else going on in life. So my unit sits around collecting no miles. The good news, there are allot of low mile units out there to choose from and hopefully, the previous owner worked out most of the bugs so you can spend more time enjoying rather than fixing.
Just talked to a friend who bought a 40' Phaeton fully loaded with 8k miles. Retired couple had it custom made and he had a heart attack and died at the wheel on one of early trips! Moral of the story, don't wait too long to get out and enjoy life in your RV!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Many people think they want an RV, buy one and then find out the lifestyle is not for them, it's to big or to small, they don't have time to use it, one spouse gets sick, the list goes on and on.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
We looked at a couple that had very low miles but the interior showed a lot of use/wear. Some owners may also live in them full time and may leave them in one campground for long periods of time. Or like my sister, may only travel 100 miles to camp for a week, whereas we travel 1,000s of miles in same week.

I would not necessarily consider very low miles a good sign because sometimes inactivity can be harder on equipment than if used regularly. Besides, when looking at older motorhomes in places like PPL in Texas, it's obvious most motorhomes will become obsolete or fall apart before the chassis wears out beyond being repairable.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
If by used with low miles you are talking about a 2013, 2014, or 2015 model then you should probably consider it. If you are looking at 5 year and older models with low miles than I would agree with the Chance.

There are tons of reasons new owners trade in one or two year old low mileage units. Some examples have already been stated. In our case we found our 2014 with 3,200 miles (chassis 2014, coach 2015). Before we began negotiations I insisted on details from the dealer on why the original owner traded in, what maintenance isses he/she had, and what did they trade in for. They claimed there was not a history of major maintenance issues and the owner traded down to a small pull behind camper. They only camped one state north in the summer and winterized it to sit all winter.

So I got a unit for about 55% of original MSRP, which was still too much but I had a pretty new fiver for a trade.

I tend to always purchase vehicles new and keep them 3 to 4 years. I am the opposite with RVs, too big of a deprecation hit plus quality control issues.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #7

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
yep,

years, occupancy, and miles: all take their toll. 2 of those are measurable.

one other source of confusion, a mile is not always equal to another mile, in terms of vibration to the house. The chassis and engine are well suited for use, the house on top will suffer more from rough roads than many miles of smooth interstate.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
My wife and I are very near retirement and purchasing a used class A, My question is looking around we see so many with under 10,000 miles and quite a few with 5,000 miles. this is very confusing to us why would so many people sell theirs so quickly? Thank you for your help
I would seriously consider a "fairly new" used unit for the next purchase. If you are lucky, the first owner would be like many in this forum. They work out the built-in bugs and make costly improvements such as those made to the suspension. We do this knowing that it is for our comfort and piece of mind and not that we will ever recoup the dollars spent. So the second owner makes out and has a coach that is 2 or 3 years old ..... or less.... I would highly suggest being a first time buyer that you hire an inspector so you know exactly (?) what you are getting into.