Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2020, 04:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Tennessee
THOR #17828
Using the propane mode for my refrigerator on my ACE

When I am not connected to electricity and place my refrigerator into the propane mode, a red light appears and the refrigerator does not appear to cool.

Is there a valve somewhere (other than the propane tank) that needs to be turned on for this to work?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Rowdy

Old 08-08-2020, 04:49 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In that mode when you're outside can you hear it? (Typically, when its quiet outside, you can hear the flame)

Does your gas range work?

The only valve would be the one on the tank.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Main switch ON. Gas switch ON. No lights will be on it it lights. If it does not light a CHECK light will come on. If you turn OFF the gas switch, it will seek out electric power. The auto light will be lit. Gas switch must be ON to run on GAS. It will not AUTO switch. Auto means it is looking for Electric.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
My Outlaw used to be a bit reluctant to fire up on propane. You could hear the clicking as it tried to start, and then a red light would come on...
We lit it manually a few times, and then traded it in...
Old 08-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Main switch ON. Gas switch ON. No lights will be on it it lights. If it does not light a CHECK light will come on. If you turn OFF the gas switch, it will seek out electric power. The auto light will be lit. Gas switch must be ON to run on GAS. It will not AUTO switch. Auto means it is looking for Electric.
Too confusing. Simply stated, run it in auto mode. When you don't have electric it will switch to gas on it's own and back to electric when electric is available.

Try lighting a burner on the stove for a moment or two. That should insure a good gas supply is available.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good idea: fire up the propane stovetop for a few minutes to make sure that the lines are, "propane-ified".
Old 08-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #7

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Too confusing. Simply stated, run it in auto mode. When you don't have electric it will switch to gas on it's own and back to electric when electric is available.

Try lighting a burner on the stove for a moment or two. That should insure a good gas supply is available.
Not that simple. the gas switch must be ON to switch to gas. Auto and gas on is the way to go. It will run on electric until the electric is removed then switch to gas IF the gas switch is on.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Not that simple. the gas switch must be ON to switch to gas. Auto and gas on is the way to go. It will run on electric until the electric is removed then switch to gas IF the gas switch is on.
Actually, it IS that simple. There is no "gas switch". There is a single, 3 position switch: AUTO - OFF - GAS. Placing this switch is GAS makes it run on gas all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold Fridge.png
Views:	206
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	25437  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #9

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Actually, it IS that simple. There is no "gas switch". There is a single, 3 position switch: AUTO - OFF - GAS. Placing this switch is GAS makes it run on gas all the time.
I have 2 switches single pole switches. ON and GAS.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If that's the case: I would guess that the "on" setting would be "auto"...
Old 08-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I have 2 switches single pole switches. ON and GAS.
What model Norcold fridge in what model ACE MH?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
For OP, your model is not clear but on my unit, if the red light is on solid RED (not flashing) then you have a fault code condition.

I have Norcold N7x and on my model, if I see RED as you are; it means that the "Fridge tried to start on the selected energy source and failed" Of course you know it failed on propane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold Error Code.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	25440

So the corrective action or possible solutions.
  1. Try the manual mode if in auto.
  2. Try the auto mode if in manual.
  3. Check for empty LP tank.
  4. Check AC / DC converter
  5. Check Gas Shutoff valve to ensure it is open
  6. Check propane gas is at correct pressure
  7. Check that there is no air in propane gas line

FWIW, before I bought this rig I heard all kinds of bad press about propane refrigerators not getting cold, having to start them up the day before travel etc. For a while I was stuck on Thor's ACE because a few came with Residential Refrigerators. Thor stopped putting the Residential Fridges in the ACE 29.3 and now I know why. I love this Norcold N7x. It gets very cold very fast. We keep in Auto mode until we stop to get gas. Then we shut it off completely. Few times we forgot to turn it back on after getting gas , but did not notice until we got to where we were going and everything was still cold.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #13

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
My Norcold is on the 1200 watt Inverter/outlet line.
So when I’m BoonDocking with the inverter on, I need to turn it to Gas (only).
Otherwise I’ll drain the batteries (although I do have solar).

Also, my light flashes orange when Gas isn’t lit properly.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2020, 06:13 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
When I have had problems with my fridge not wanting to go to gas operation, it has always been a propane flow issue. Running the furnace and a burner on the stove for a couple of minutes has almost always fixed it. A couple of times it was spider nests around and in the combustion area in the back of the unit.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #15

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If that's the case: I would guess that the "on" setting would be "auto"...
It is.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:25 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Note that the OP never replied....
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:13 AM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My Norcold N8XRT has a very strange problem. It’ll only light when the temp control is set to the coldest position when starting with a warm fridge. After it’s cold it runs fine on gas. Hasn’t been too much of a problem because it seems to be very consistent. If I start it the day before a trip it’ll be like -7 in the freezer and 20 in the main cabinet by morning. Wish I could think of something to testa don’t I’m concerned that one of these days it won’t light at all.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:55 AM   #18

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
My Norcold N8XRT has a very strange problem. It’ll only light when the temp control is set to the coldest position when starting with a warm fridge. After it’s cold it runs fine on gas. Hasn’t been too much of a problem because it seems to be very consistent. If I start it the day before a trip it’ll be like -7 in the freezer and 20 in the main cabinet by morning. Wish I could think of something to testa don’t I’m concerned that one of these days it won’t light at all.

You may have issue with control board?

If you look at post #12, we keep our Norcold on setting #3 of 3 of 5 stars on thermometer. When the freezer is frozen; well basically you have all of the cold you need.

When we get ready to leave, we start the AC's and turn on the both refrigerators to get everything cool down. Takes us about an hour to pack.

When we do leave we turn both AC's off and main fridge goes to gas while outdoor kitchen fridge runs off inverter.

When we stop we start the generator so both AC's can run. I always have ice cold beer when ever we get where we are going or an extended stop.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:27 PM   #19

Brand: Dutchmen
THOR #2904
Show a picture of your refrigerator control panel. For most, auto will work for electric and gas, when you don't have one it automatically switches to the other. I have had 8 units over the years and they all worked that way. The other thing is do you have 12 volt, it won't work without it in either mode.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Note that the OP never replied....
Perhaps we overwhelmed him with our helpfulness?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote