Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #41
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you tried to light it manually?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You can also go online and look up the particular model refrigerator you have and download your own copy of the manual to print it up and put inside your Thor bag.

Paul
Old 12-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #43

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If you can hear the igniter you know that the control is working with respect to lighting. Your problem, most likely, is lack of gas, which will be a supply line, a defective valve or the control unit (when it calls for the gas valve to open). I’d try loosening the gas line fitting at the valve to sniff for gas. I’ll have to double check but I think there is a manual shut off on the gas valve. Since your rig is new it might never have been turned on at that location.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #44

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I will appreciate any help or suggestions to get this refrigerator started. I tried again this morning before I left for work. No luck. I heard the clicking sound, then a “whooof”, kinda like it almost ignited. Happened 3 times. I kept getting that solid RED light after each try.

Fridge was cold during walk through almost 2 weeks ago. But it was plugged into the dealer’s 50 amp source. Has been parked in my house since. Battery is 2/3 charged. I even started the engine and tried. No luck.

We will be going to our shake down, 2 day trip tomorrow. This is not a good start.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #45
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
This is just a small hiccup. One you get it sorted out: this will all be worth it!
Old 12-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #46
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
I will appreciate any help or suggestions to get this refrigerator started. I tried again this morning before I left for work. No luck. I heard the clicking sound, then a “whooof”, kinda like it almost ignited. Happened 3 times. I kept getting that solid RED light after each try.

Fridge was cold during walk through almost 2 weeks ago. But it was plugged into the dealer’s 50 amp source. Has been parked in my house since. Battery is 2/3 charged. I even started the engine and tried. No luck.

We will be going to our shake down, 2 day trip tomorrow. This is not a good start.
The fact that you get the "whoosh" implies that you are getting some gas, but maybe not enough. Pull the outside cover and check to make sure the local shutoff valve is fully open. It may jest be a screw like this:

But some Norcold fridges use a valve like this:

If the manual valves are fully open then it may be a faulty gas solenoid valve or even an orifice issue which should probably be left for the dealer to resolve when you get back from your trip.

Pre-chill the fridge on 120 VAC before leaving for your trip and throw some frozen water bottles in it while traveling. Hopefully you're going somewhere with SP?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #47

THOR #21278
Thank you for those pictures. I will pull out the outside cover when I get home today to see which one my unit have. Hopefully that will resolve my problem. We are going to a full-hook up CG tomorrow. But I would like to TEST all of my appliances and fixtures (using both electric and gas if applicable).

Maybe a stupid question... but let me ask. Can I plug in my 50 AMP RV to my house shore power using those adaptor? (50 to 30, then 30 to 15?).

When we had our 2015 Class C, I was able to pre-cool our fridge using our house shore power using 30 amp - 15 amp adaptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The fact that you get the "whoosh" implies that you are getting some gas, but maybe not enough. Pull the outside cover and check to make sure the local shutoff valve is fully open. It may jest be a screw like this:

But some Norcold fridges use a valve like this:

If the manual valves are fully open then it may be a faulty gas solenoid valve or even an orifice issue which should probably be left for the dealer to resolve when you get back from your trip.

Pre-chill the fridge on 120 VAC before leaving for your trip and throw some frozen water bottles in it while traveling. Hopefully you're going somewhere with SP?
Old 12-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #48
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
Thank you for those pictures. I will pull put the outside cover when I get home today to see which one my unit have.

Maybe a stupid question... but let me ask. Can I plug in my 50 AMP RV to my house shore power using those adaptor? (50 to 30, then 30 to 15?).

When we had our 2015 Class C, I was able to pre-cool our fridge using our house shore power using 30 amp - 15 amp adaptor.
Absolutely. That will charge your batteries and run your fridge but don't expect to run the A/Cs, microwave or electric on the water heater.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #49

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Absolutely. That will charge your batteries and run your fridge but don't expect to run the A/Cs, microwave or electric on the water heater.

It may not work though if you plug into an outside or garage outlet. These, invariably, are GFCI protected and most likely it will trip when you plug in. This is because there is a GFCI outlet in your coach and often when there are two of them it won’t work. If that happens to you try tripping the GFI in your bathroom (and any others you might have) and see if that works.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm sort of glad that the builders of my garage (back in 1963); didn't know how to spell "GFCI"...
We haven't burned it down yet!
Old 12-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #51

THOR #6826
If you’re getting a “wooof” now that you didn’t get earlier possibly you just need to keep trying. I’ve had to try as many as 10 times early in a season. If you do loosen the gas line at the valve to sniff for gas you’ll also be quite certain that the line is purged of air and not blocked or kinked. If you do this be sure to wait a few minutes to clear the air before trying to light again!
Old 12-04-2020, 07:05 PM   #52

THOR #21278
Pete, when I tried last night for several times, I heard the "tick-tick-tick", then a very faint "woof".

This morning, I lit up the stop top burner again for about 45 seconds. Then the "tick-tick-tick", and the "woof" (which was more profound) this morning. I guess it is getting more gas this morning?

Lastly, does the cold temp come into play as well with this problem? It was around 40 degrees last night, and around 50+ this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
If you’re getting a “wooof” now that you didn’t get earlier possibly you just need to keep trying. I’ve had to try as many as 10 times early in a season. If you do loosen the gas line at the valve to sniff for gas you’ll also be quite certain that the line is purged of air and not blocked or kinked. If you do this be sure to wait a few minutes to clear the air before trying to light again!
Old 12-04-2020, 07:15 PM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Leave the stovetop running for a couple of minutes...
Then give it a try!
Old 12-05-2020, 01:12 AM   #54

THOR #21278
Thank you all to those who responded to my question. The flame is alive and burning. LOL

16ACE27, i do have the one on the first picture. It is set just like the one in the picture.

Bob, I let all the 3 burners run for full 2 minutes. I then left one burning so that there will be continuous flow of gas. Turned on the switch. And it came to life.

Pete, thanks for your feedback too.

Thanks again folks.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:36 AM   #55
Site Team

THOR #7035
Look at that! Free edumacation!