Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Looking at a Super C
State: Washington
THOR #18658
Fridge on Propane

I just recently (last 3 months) chased this same type of problem (non Thor Unit).
Surprisingly something as simple as the Propane Regulator fixed it. The unit was less than 1 year old and the factory reimbursed me for my cost without question.
My view is that the Propane Regulator (complete with connection hoses from the factory) likely had sealant/tape partially blocking an orifice. Once the regulator was replaced all issues are resolved . . . .to include disconnecting electricity to test. Everything works as advertised!
All is fine now!

Old 08-12-2020, 10:24 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #17538
When I change from to electric to gas on my Vegas, some times I have to restart the fridg up to 4 times before the unit will run on gas. The reason seems to be that the gas line gets some air in it and does not fire until the air is purged from the line. Once the flame fires up, it runs fine. Try restarting a few times and see what happens.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:57 AM   #23
CLG

Model: ACE 27.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #16056
Storage switch

Make sure your ACE is not in storage mode. I had a problem with my fridge until I checked that switch. It was in the store mode and the fridge wouldn’t work on propane.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyD View Post
When I am not connected to electricity and place my refrigerator into the propane mode, a red light appears and the refrigerator does not appear to cool.

Is there a valve somewhere (other than the propane tank) that needs to be turned on for this to work?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Rowdy
Before you fill your propane tank, shut of the fridge. After you fill it, lite all the burners on your stove top til they burn blue. This gets any air out of the propane line. IF the fridge gives you a code or blinks turn it off, wait a minute and turn it back on. You can open the door or put your ear close to the fridge and you can hear it trying to lite. Do this until you get any air out of the line that may be keeping the valve from sensing proper LP pressure. There is no valve I'm aware of. Bob
Old 08-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Once your sure the propane is on and the lines are free of trapped air stand outside near the fridge vent and listen while someone else turns it on to run on gas. If you don’t hear the igniter sparking your issue is probably with the control board or the igniter itself. It should spark for a few seconds, stop and repeat a couple of times before giving up and turning the red light on at the control panel. If you turn the fridge off for a minute or two then back on the whole process will repeat. If you go through this drill four or five times and still don’t have any fire going (you can hear the burner as a quiet roar) then it’s time to dig deeper. Has it ever worked on gas?
Old 08-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #26

Model: Delano 24tt
State: Virginia
THOR #19471
LOW ELECTRIC may be the problem

Have new refrigerator, but when on AUTOMATIC mode, it will try to first use the ELECTRIC source to run the refrigerator. But if youre only on regular house electric (15 AMP) it is not sufficient to run it, but refrigerator will not switch over to LP on its own. Solution is easy, take refrigerator out of AUTOMATIC mode and put in MANUAL mode, on LP. Others may have suggested this above, and if so I missed it.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #27

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGFairfax View Post
But if youre only on regular house electric (15 AMP) it is not sufficient to run it,
15amp is plenty to run the refer. I do so all the time and have on my previous rv's as well.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #28

Model: Delano 24tt
State: Virginia
THOR #19471
Youre in better position than I am. Have new Thor Delano, and refrigerator difficult to keep going. Called dealer and then Thor and both said refrigerator will usually not operate on 15 AMP electric, that "Automatic" mode will continue to try to use electric as source, and I needed to switch manually to LP if not on 30 AMP. Glad yours works on 15 AMP.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #29
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Youre in better position than I am. Have new Thor Delano, and refrigerator difficult to keep going. Called dealer and then Thor and both said refrigerator will usually not operate on 15 AMP electric, that "Automatic" mode will continue to try to use electric as source, and I needed to switch manually to LP if not on 30 AMP. Glad yours works on 15 AMP.
They lied to you is the only way to put it. A 2-way fridge only uses about 4 amps on 120 VAC.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:50 PM   #30

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
There’s obviously a mis-understanding.
16ACE27 is absolutely correct.
The fridge doesn’t know whether your on a 15amp circuit or a 30amp circuit.
It just needs it’s 4amps.

So, if your Delano fridge isn’t functioning properly on electric it may be a number of reasons.
> Converter box
> Auto transfer switch
> Outlet circuit breaker
Or other reasons.

As a test...You could always unplug the fridge & run an extension cord directly to a 15amp circuit. My hunch is that it’ll work fine when you do
Old 08-13-2020, 10:22 PM   #31

THOR #6826
Using the propane mode for my refrigerator on my ACE

As a test...You could always unplug the fridge & run an extension cord directly to a 15amp circuit. My hunch is that it’ll work fine when you do.

If that does NOT work you will have learned that the problem is with the fridge control board (because you will have bypassed ALL of the RV’s electrical systems). And if it does work - as I too expect it will - then you can try plugging the fridge into one of your RV’s outlets on another circuit. If that also works, as I expect it will, you will have learned that the problem is with the RV’s fridge outlet or the wiring or circuit breaker that feeds it. Probably just a loose connection that drops out under load. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2020, 11:08 PM   #32

Model: MIRAMAR 34.2
State: West Virginia
THOR #17939
i have the same issue,,, my refrigerator doesnt stay cold or frezze when we are camping. it is hooked up to 50 amp service,,but i dont have any switches on the refrig,, mine is a whirlpool-- frezzer on top and refg on bottom half.full size. now when we are driving it keeps everything cold and froze. we have a 2017 thor Miramar, used but new to us. i cant find any youtube videos to help . I will first try your prev sugestion on lighting off the stove and furnace . but not sure what else to do
Old 08-14-2020, 12:47 AM   #33
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadomufn54@gmail.com View Post
i have the same issue,,, my refrigerator doesnt stay cold or frezze when we are camping. it is hooked up to 50 amp service,,but i dont have any switches on the refrig,, mine is a whirlpool-- frezzer on top and refg on bottom half.full size. now when we are driving it keeps everything cold and froze. we have a 2017 thor Miramar, used but new to us. i cant find any youtube videos to help . I will first try your prev sugestion on lighting off the stove and furnace . but not sure what else to do
Are you sure you don't have a Residential Refrigerator with Ice Maker? 2016s did.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:31 AM   #34

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
I will try to explain to you in layman's terms why the experts are right and trying to help you. Your refrigerator needs 120 volts to work. PERIOD

Anything you plug into regular socket in US only needs 120 volts PERIOD.

So once you know you have power then the unit should run, when it runs it will draw current (amps) If you are on 15 amps circuit; when & if your unit pulls 15 amps, it will trip the breaker. The compressor has no way of knowing it is pulling on 15, 20, 30 or 50 amps. Check the specs I bet your fridge draws 6 amps or less.

Since you did not say it is tripping breaker, then there has to be something defective given that the refrigerator knows it has 120 volts. You know it has 120 volts at the refrigerator because it thinks it is ON; thus it will not switch to gas.

Make sure you document this issue with Thor and get some case number. If Thor doesn't take care of you, this will be the 1st time I have read from any poster that had a real Mfg issue under warranty that Thor would NOT stand behind. You reading from a man that has very little respect for any of Thor dealers I have visited.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #35

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1281
How good are your batteries? It won't ignite without a good power source.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:14 AM   #36

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Before you fill your propane tank, shut of the fridge. After you fill it, lite all the burners on your stove top til they burn blue. This gets any air out of the propane line. IF the fridge gives you a code or blinks turn it off, wait a minute and turn it back on. You can open the door or put your ear close to the fridge and you can hear it trying to lite. Do this until you get any air out of the line that may be keeping the valve from sensing proper LP pressure. There is no valve I'm aware of. Bob
Do what I just did last weekend. Took a road trip, over 600 miles to JC Refridgeration in Indiana. Had my Norcold N611F propane/electric unit replaced with a 12 volt HVAC unit. It's GREAT and the techs there did a great job. Not cheap, but quality never is. Just keep an eye on your battery levels. I got a portable 135 watt solar panel to top off the batts if were boondocking and don't want to start the engine or generator. Just need some good ole' sunshine!!!! Bob Trice
Old 08-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Time for a Musical Interlude...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #38
DLF

State: Illinois
THOR #18745
We have a 2014 ace 30..1. I had trouble with my refrig. Changed the control board in located in the gas compartment in the outside section .solved problem. Bought it at Amazon
Old 09-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #39

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF View Post
We have a 2014 ace 30..1. I had trouble with my refrig. Changed the control board in located in the gas compartment in the outside section .solved problem. Bought it at Amazon

Usually does. The fridge (and the water heater) is an inherently simple device - only moving part is the gas valve - and they use ultra cheap Chinese control boards. I’d recommend buying a Dinosaur (brand) American made board when replacing it. It looks a lot different but is a direct plug and play replacement with, I believe, a much lower failure rate.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #40

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I have a 2021 Thor ACE 33.1 we just purchased 2 weeks ago. Last night, I tried to start the refrigerator using propane. I heard tick-tick-tick several times. Then the light turned SOLID RED. I turned off the power and turned it back ON few times. No success. I turned ON furnace and stove top. Both worked fine. But the refrigerator will NOT ignite. I will try dkoldman’s trouble shooting guide this morning. But... how does the shut off valve look like from the fridge panel?

I am missing few manuals from my bag when I took delivery (just discovered 2 days ago). Dealer told me to get in touch with THOR as they did not inspect the contents of the black bag for manuals.