Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2018, 03:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 26 ft.
State: Florida
THOR #7835
Using small electric space heater in Quantum RS26

I am a Florida boy so I do not have much experience with gas furnaces. I have experience with gas stoves. Florida is mostly electric. When in our unit in cold weather, every time the furnace cuts on it is loud with fan noise and the sound of the flame. I wake up every time it cuts on and stay awake until it shuts off. Our unit is small, 26 foot, has anybody had experience with using a small electric heater for heat? I am looking at 1500 watts that uses 12.5 amps. At night there should be nothing pulling voltage or amps except the heater. My unit is a 30 amp service. The electrical outlets are on a 15 amp or 20 amp fuse, I'm not sure which. until I go to the storage lot and check. I understand all the concerns about safety of use.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:08 AM   #2

State: Washington
THOR #6433
The biggest problem with space heaters they can catch on fire. You have to be really careful and make sure they have safety features that turn them off if the fall over. Best to have one with a thermostat built and a plug that’s designed to turn the unit off if the plug gets too hot
Old 10-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I have used and am using a space heater in the camper now. Its 1500 watts with some usb charging ports on the top. Our ACE is 30amp and we really have no problem with power. I only use the furnace to take the morning chill out, to cheap do not want to use propane.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
I also use a small ceramic heater 1500 watts, with built in protection for tip over. I have dogs who change their sleeping places during the night. You could also have a blue flame propane heater installed. They use no electricity and are allowed to be installed indoors in the US. You need to leave a window open a bit, for moisture to escape.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I actually use 2 electric space heaters in my Miramar to save LP. I have a fireplace style space heater up front...stays cool to the touch, warns if something blocks the front and is too large to tip over. It sits between the 2 front seats in an area of floor space that typically isn't used. The other is a vertical heater that swivels. It sits in the bathroom and keeps the bed and bath very comfortable. It shuts off if tipped.

My wife has to shut off the bathroom space heater when using her blow dryer since the GFCI circuit won't run both, but other than that it works great.

I have my furnace set at 70. If the temperature drops into the 30's, it will periodically kick on and in the morning we will sometimes turn up the furnace for a few minutes just to warm the floors.

If camping below freezing I turn off the space heaters and run the furnace exclusively to keep the water lines from freezing.

We do a lot of cool to cold weather (rarely below freezing) camping and get at least 2 years on my LP.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #8692
Blow Driers pull a lot of wattage! So do microwave ovens!
We use an oil filled space heater: radiator style. Once it's warmed up, it pulls very little wattage and will warm most of the coach. It fits under the coach table facing the stove. We do have to secure it when travelling, but is on wheels and can roll away easily.
We have been leery of any type of element style heater. My fear is that a blanket or towel could touch the element and cause a fire.
Good Luck!
Old 10-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #7

Model: Quantum 26 ft.
State: Florida
THOR #7835
Thank You, the forum is the best to get experienced help.
Yeah as mentioned it really drains the propane. All the heaters I have looked at have all the safety features.

How about electric blankets? any concerns there other than volt/current draw?