Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2020, 06:56 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I agree with Chance’s comments on the advantages of a Class B. The interior noise level, ease of maneuverability and parking and the fact that you can get the chassis repaired, the oil changed, etc. anywhere are definite pluses. For traveling, the Travalto (and Ford Transit and Mercedes vans I am sure) are similar to drive, ride in and park to my Mazda CX-5. In addition, I am looking forward to not having to maintain the fiberglass exterior of the Axis in the Florida sun. That was a nightmare. It depends on what you want and what you are willing to accept. I found my 22’ Class C marginal to drive and park in large towns and cities and the 25’ Axis was so hard I almost never did it. 21’ is the smallest that I have seen with a full (wet) bathroom, kitchen facilities and enough room to turn around. Each extra foot makes it more difficult to do the things I want to do. When I was living in the Axis for months at a time, the trade off was worth it to me. Now it is not. It is all personal preference. We shall see after our trip back and forth to a Nova Scotia this summer. Maybe we will be crying for our Axis back. But somehow I doubt it.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:25 AM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Funny! We were at our local RV show yesterday (didn't see anything we'd want over the Axis--especially with our new kitchen) but did pop our head into a Sol Horizon. The reason I mention this: The thing is all fiberglass and on the inside it smells just like a boat ! LOL

We were curious as there was one near us on our last trip and they look soo funky LOL.
You mentioned your "new kitchen".. Inquiring minds are curious...
Old 02-13-2020, 01:23 AM   #43
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
You mentioned your "new kitchen".. Inquiring minds are curious...
I did post in the Axis/Vegas mods threads but ... see below:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-09-28 16.15.46.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	22533
Replaced the counter, sink and stove with a new stainless sink, and two burner induction stove.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:58 PM   #44

State: Texas
THOR #2121
This new prototype is exactly in the spirit of what we were discussing in this thread earlier this year — a compact Class C with length, width and height of a Sprinter van, but with more room inside.

I hope this prototype does well, and that other RV manufacturers join in with similar designs. A lower-cost motorhome the same size based on Ford E-350 SRW 158” WB chassis would be great to see.

https://youtu.be/S4iDq8D2CBM

https://rvbusiness.com/video-advance...van-prototype/
Old 08-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #45
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I couldn't see the video.
Is this prototype from an established manufacturer; or is it just a backyard exercise in futility?
Old 08-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #46

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I couldn't see the video.
Is this prototype from an established manufacturer; or is it just a backyard exercise in futility?

Advanced RV is well established as a manufacturer of custom high-end Class Bs, predominantly built on Sprinter van chassis. It’s definitely not a backyard operation.

An interesting comment he makes in video is that height is equal to top of A/C of a regular Class B, but since interior headroom is considerably greater than a van, and floor is not dropped, it suggests there isn’t a standard RV A/C on roof.

If that’s the case, it’ll be interesting to see how they air condition the motorhome given their reputation to try new design ideas. Interior picture of prototype (from video) may be giving us a clue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2FEC7742-4B68-4817-98F0-181F5536480F.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	25834  
Old 08-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #47
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Could the A/C unit be tucked-in underneath the rig?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #48

THOR #2121
Yes, that is possible and has been done before. Sportsmobile used a similar system on their van campers with pop-up roofs because normal RV A/C couldn’t be mounted on moveable fiberglass roof panel. I haven’t looked in years so don’t know if they still use them.

It ends up similar to a mini-split A/C with compressor and condenser under floor, with evaporator mounted somewhere inside motorhome.

Before that Sportsmobile (many years ago) had a system that used the Ford A/C condenser to cool the “house” with a separate electric compressor piped in parallel with engine-driven compressor.

Lots of ideas can work as long as higher cost isn’t a problem.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:53 PM   #49
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you have to ask the price...
Old 08-28-2020, 10:48 PM   #50

THOR #1765
Probably don’t want to.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:48 AM   #51

THOR #2121
The Advance RV B Box “prototype” on Sprinter chassis keeps coming up in large part because it’s so different, pushing the limits of what we expect a motorhome to be or do.

Other than its obscene cost, there’s a lot to like, including some really cool technology (not all that I personally like, but value the effort itself).

15.2 kilowatt-hour of 48V lithium battery

48V DC custom mini-split air conditioner

Requires about 20% of heat/cool of a regular van

So tight it needs vent with heat exchanger to limit CO2

Completely enclosed, insulated and heated tanks

Diesel-fueled hot water also used for primary in-floor heat

Available recirculating treated shower water

https://rvbusiness.com/advanced-rv-c...sign-features/

Some of the design is a little out there for my taste, but I really like the size with a footprint and height of a standard van, the 48V lithium battery system, great insulation including windows, 48V mini-split A/C with compressor and condenser under floor, etc.

Prototype cost of over $300,000 not so much
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13CE44BF-C1C6-4ED3-9803-55C622833033.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	27041  
Old 11-06-2020, 02:00 AM   #52
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
For 300 large: I'll buy an Allegro Breeze...

But that's just me!
Old 11-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #53

THOR #2121
If your mindset is that added money should buy extra RV size, then this kind of RV “experiment” will never be for you.

However, if your tastes and finances allow paying a premium to get maximum capability out of a small package, then this prototype RV is of interest. It’s no different than paying twice as much on a carbon fiber bicycle to save a pound or two, or interest in technology that support tiny smart phones, etc. No doubt this prototype needs to be watered down to get price way down — but some features could be applied on a budget once mass produced.

Data below shows interest in small motorhomes is growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Despite this upwards trend, Class A and C RV shipments dipped year-over-year last month by 12.7% and 5.2%, respectively. However, Class B RVs remained resilient: last month, Class B shipments increased by 57.9% compared to September 2019, according to the same survey.

https://rvbusiness.com/advanced-rv-u...-of-b-box-van/
Old 11-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It all depends upon how "capability" is defined.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #55

THOR #2121
I know the Devil is in the details, but at first glance I really like what Winnebago has created in the brand new Ekko. It’s pretty much between a Class B van and other present Class B+ (technically also Cutaways).

Has bike garage, and automotive front-facing seats with 3-point seat belts.

At 23’-2” it’s not much longer than many vans, and shorter than many Sprinters.

It’s only 86.5 inches wide and 10’-6” high.

Standard 2800-Watt inverter generator.

Standard 315 Amp-hour lithium.

DC compressor refrigerator.

Option to delete generator and add extra 315 Amp-hour battery.

Standard 455 Watt solar.

Second dedicated alternator for house batteries

2,000-Watt inverter

Walls are extra thick and include dual pane windows.

All tanks and water lines are above floor in heated area.

Winnebago also has a longer floor plan at 25 feet based on longer 178-inch wheelbase chassis.

The larger unit has split dry bath, while shorter has semi-dry-wet bath using new pivoting wall design introduced in Europe a few years ago.

I’ll give Winnebago credit for trying newer designs compared to other large manufacturers.

While not for everyone, the size just above a van has a lot of appeal. The high cost due to all the nice standard features maybe not so much. It’s a lot of extra cost to justify.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31040E46-B021-4945-90EC-D044C1DEF01D.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	27231   Click image for larger version

Name:	4DD63938-3384-4692-AB9D-5A4780EAC137.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	27232  

Name:	93A9FFC9-D318-4CFD-91C1-2B13F58DC672.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	27233   Click image for larger version

Name:	7A75AC25-4C3A-4A97-A288-1E373FEC87A4.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	27234  

Old 11-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #56
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I just saw my first picture of the Ekko in another thread:
So are you going to pop for one?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #57

THOR #1765
I love my Winnebago Travato - it’s much better built than the two Thor’s I owned, but - to be fair - the class B is a different animal than the Vegas/Axis. I like some if the features in the new Ekco and there are others that I do not like as much as the Axis 24.1 I owned. Just looking at the pictures, I think the living area in the Axis was much more “liveable”. We took ours out for multiple 4 month trips and found that we could live comfortably fir long periods of time. The small living space and no couch in the Ekco does not seem as practical. It’s all in what you want. The garage, solar and 4 wheel drive are great features for shorter trips. Nice to see smaller sized RVs coming onto the market.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:24 PM   #58
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Does the Ekko ride on the 170" wheelbase?
Old 11-19-2020, 09:50 PM   #59

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Does the Ekko ride on the 170" wheelbase?
No, either 156” for 23’-2” rig, or 178” for 25’-0”.

Both are Ford AWD Transit with EcoBoost power. No Mercedes Sprinter which are typically the 170”.

The shorter unit looks like it can be parked many places where the tail can be backed over a curb. The longer 25-footer may be tight unless parking spot is long.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:11 PM   #60

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I love my Winnebago Travato - it’s much better built than the two Thor’s I owned, but - to be fair - the class B is a different animal than the Vegas/Axis. I like some if the features in the new Ekco and there are others that I do not like as much as the Axis 24.1 I owned. Just looking at the pictures, I think the living area in the Axis was much more “liveable”. We took ours out for multiple 4 month trips and found that we could live comfortably fir long periods of time. The small living space and no couch in the Ekco does not seem as practical. It’s all in what you want. The garage, solar and 4 wheel drive are great features for shorter trips. Nice to see smaller sized RVs coming onto the market.
I agree that there’s a lot of difference in room and available storage space between any van and an Axis/Vegas. No doubt about it, which is why I’ve felt for a long time there was a market for smaller Class As and Cs that were not much larger in footprint than Bs but offered much more elbow room. I’m glad Winnebago is giving compact C another try, this time with a Euro-style floorplan to provide the bike/gear garage.

The Ekko is listed at around 60 cubic feet of outside storage, which stands out compared to vans. The inside is functionally similar to the 59G Travato, except larger in every way.

Since RV manufacturers copy each other, I hope to see similar units to follow, perhaps starting at lower cost. An Axis/Vegas with similar floorplan would have worked great for us.