Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2022, 01:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3385
Vegas 24.1 battery life

We have a 2014 Vegas. Only has 30k on it and we have been through 3 sets of batteries. All 3 go bad after little use. I keep my unit plugged in. Shouldnt the inverter keep batteries charged? If so what is a good way to verify it is working to charge batteries? Should i switch to store each time i park. Appreciate any direction on this matter

Old 03-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Converter not inverter (inverter makes 120V from 12V, converter makes 12V from 120V).

Check your converter it may be bad. Sometimes they boil the batteries by overcharging them.

Try unplugging it and turning everything off...see if the batteries last longer.

Our 24.1 is 8 years old and still has the OEM chassis battery (yup just Jinxed myself). It still starts the coach just fine.

I put disconnects on both the chassis and house batteries. In storage both are completely disconnected.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncarolyn View Post
We have a 2014 Vegas. Only has 30k on it and we have been through 3 sets of batteries. All 3 go bad after little use. I keep my unit plugged in. Shouldnt the inverter keep batteries charged? If so what is a good way to verify it is working to charge batteries? Should i switch to store each time i park. Appreciate any direction on this matter
Which batteries are you talking about? The house batteries? Or the chassis battery?

And yes, the converter should charge both house and chassis batteries if the USE/STORE switch is left in USE and the BCC or BIRD is working correctly. Best way to check? Put a voltmeter on the batteries when plugged into SP.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
My ‘17-24.1 chassis is a ‘16, so the Motorcraft chassis battery is technically nearly 7yrs old. Still running strong (knock on wood!).

That said, I recently opened-up the passenger dash & did the well known mod for chassis battery access.
That way I’m ready when replacement is needed.

Regarding House batteries in my 24.1:
- I’m on my 3rd pair of house batteries
- I’ve stayed with Flooded Lead Acid
- Costco Interstate or Sams Duracell have worked fine

Like you, I keep my rig plugged into shore power at home 24/7. My rig is parked under a hard RV cover, but not climate controlled.
I check the battery water regularly.

So it sounds like you’re not getting a good charge from your converter as stated in the other above posts.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:07 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I am not a fan of the WFCO converter that comes on Thor Axis/Vegas. I think it does not handle charging parameters well (it only has one battery setting for example) so I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics 9160CV charger and I left the WFCO breakers and fuses alone.

The PD converter has handled charging well and I think avoids problems with over charger that may the cause of your short battery life.

But another problem is that your batteries aren't true deep cycle batteries. They are starting batteries with a deep cycle label on them. Starting batteries don't last long in deep cycle service.

I replace the OEM coach batteries with a pair of 100 Ah each AGM batteries the day I bought it. AGMs don't seem to care whether they operate in deep cycle service or not. Look on Amazon for Renogy or Windynation G31 100 Ah batteries. The Group 31s just fit into the under step battery compartment.

David

David