Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #25694
Vegas 25.6 2022

Has anyone had as much trouble with there 2022 vagas as i have. everytime i take it out something else is broke.
the wife is so upset she wants to sell it.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:15 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Hang in there. Sooner or later you will have fixed everything. It is a very well designed but horribly built coach, so when it is all fixed it is a gem. I hope you are a DIYer. Having to go to the dealer to fix everything would lead me to sell it as well.

David
Old 06-08-2022, 11:48 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
The first year is usually the hardest because of the repairs. As long as you are confident and can fix the minor issues it will become a coach customized to your style. Going back and forth to the dealer is usually what gets most people upset. I only go to the dealer with issues that are beyond my skills. My 2022 Thor Miramar is in the shop now to get the furnace working correctly. I tried the usual things to fix it myself but found it must be something else within the furnace unit or propane system. I also gave them a list of a couple of more items to be repaired since it was going into the shop.

Paul
Old 06-08-2022, 01:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by push toy View Post
Has anyone had as much trouble with there 2022 vagas as i have. everytime i take it out something else is broke.
Hard to say since you haven't elaborated on your troubles here, nothing to compare to.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:57 PM   #5

THOR #25694
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Hard to say since you haven't elaborated on your troubles here, nothing to compare to.
i couldnt use it for 3 months because the slide wouldnt go out.
the motor wouldnt start with out a jumper not the button on the dash.
the negative battery wasnt connected i found and fixed that. you cant get at the battery without cutting the dashbord under the computer station what a deal.
i fixed the gaping hole on the bottom front of the slide what a deal that was it took me half a day to figure that out. countless little things.
now the awning is coming loos from the side of the coach.
THOR SURE BUILDS THEM BETTER DONT THEY
it seems like every time we go out in it something is broke
Old 06-08-2022, 04:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
i couldnt use it for 3 months because the slide wouldnt go out.
the motor wouldnt start with out a jumper not the button on the dash.
the negative battery wasnt connected i found and fixed that. you cant get at the battery without cutting the dashbord under the computer station what a deal.
i fixed the gaping hole on the bottom front of the slide what a deal that was it took me half a day to figure that out. countless little things.
now the awning is coming loos from the side of the coach.
THOR SURE BUILDS THEM BETTER DONT THEY
it seems like every time we go out in it something is broke
Sounds like par for the course for any RV built by any manufacturer these days.

Learn the coach
Fix what you can
Ask for help with specific problems (including as much information as you can and pictures if applicable). Lotsa people here to help.
Don't hesitate to contact Thor directly if you feel the need and use honey, not vinegar.
The goal is to reduce your frustration level and enjoy the coach. Overcome the obstacles with grit and ingenuity. Getting angry and frustrated is a waste of energy.

There are some RVs that are just not fixable and in that case other action made need to be taken. It doesn't sound like your RV is in that category.

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs that we can't go out and plunk down $100K+ on a new RV and just have everything work like in a new car but that's the state of the RV industry.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:45 PM   #7

State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
2020 vegas 25.6 owner..
Let us know what is not working..

I had a tech put better black anchors into our awing
Old 06-08-2022, 05:15 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
2020 vegas 25.6 owner..

Post 5
Old 06-08-2022, 05:23 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You bought the cheapest cardboard(no, really) box you could find mounted onto a cookie cutter frame.
It doesn't matter what you paid for it. You made the decision.

That said and you now knowing what you bought:
Let us make it all easier for you.

You jumping in a fixxing things yourself makes it a pleasure to have you here as we know you're capable.
Your capability will bring you lots of ready help.

You've bought yourself a hobby. A worse hobby than even a vintage vw bug.
Get a hobby/'it is a kit' attitude and thats 90% of the battle.

Ours is always ready, flawless and has a box the size of a fat guys coffin full of things I've yet to add to make it even more pleasurable. It's a kit. I make it mine. It started as flour and water and eggs(and cardboard) and is now a supreme wedding cake.

Or
Sell it.

There's not much in between recognizing it's a constant hobby and selling.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #10

THOR #25694
Quote:
2020 vegas 25.6 owner..

what kind of ankers did he use and is it ok now
Old 06-09-2022, 01:57 PM   #11

THOR #20220
Quote:
what kind of ankers did he use and is it ok now
I think it was these in black and thor could ship you screws in black

I'm thinking of buying this from Lowe's. Any recommendations? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pro-Twist-9-x-1-in-Silver-Zinc-Plated-Self-Drilling-Roofing-Screws-1-lb/1000365281

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pro-Twist-9...-lb/1000365281
Old 06-09-2022, 04:59 PM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The problem with self tappers is experience.
One slight overtwist and you're ruined.
As a rule, any size you buy, buy some of the next size bigger as a fix.

If you can use a through bolt, use a through bolt.

And
Look up
Elevator bolt.

They're very handy.

The picture is of self-tappers of various sizes.
There's another two rows of them in another cabinet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0609221004~01.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	38005  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:46 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #22407
I have a 2021 Axis 25.6 and feel your pain. I have had a long list of items I have fixed and/or improved over the past 1.5 years as well.

I did not really want this to be a hobby, but unfortunately the folks here are correct; it is a hobby, and luckily I am handy.

The biggest issue that I am having is the rough ride. I have done most of the suspension upgrades people have suggested on these vehicles - front/rear sumo springs, front/rear upgraded shocks, front/rear sway bars - but the ride is still horrible. It's OK on certain smooth roads, but there is some type of little bump, or maybe a series of little bumps, that cause an amazing amount of jarring vibration in the dash - the dash moves independently of the frame, and the center section where the stereo is mounted wants to vibrate loose as well. It just doesn't seem right. I was coming home from a trip yesterday, and wondering whether this is really the way all of these Vegas/Axis' drive? Or do I have some major build malfunction? It really is intolerable at this point. I have taken the dash apart once to try to improve things (I did) and short of doing that again, I am out of ideas. I also had a suspension shop install the shocks/stabilizers and they didn't see anything abnormal.

In addition to the rough ride, there is also next to no clearance on this vehicle. I have snapped the fresh water tank PVC pipe off because Thor decided it was a good idea to let it hang 6" below the vehicle (cut yours flush now!), bent a stabilizer (no shops want to attempt fixing it) and now I have a leaking black water knife valve (this is the one near the rear right wheel) - not sure why this extra one is needed when there is one in the bay used to dump? Thor positioned it so that the handle faces down, so when it is open, it's the lowest point underneath.

Sorry to add to the negativity but the timing lined up with my troubles. It would be great to take a ride in somebody else's rig and see if the ride is as jarring, or have somebody who knows these vehicles well do a drive-along (I'm in Santa Cruz, CA FWIW).

Sadly I think it comes down to building a class A on a class C chassis (also makes servicing a pain-in-the-a), 16" wheels, and the build quality. This is an entry-level vehicle as was mentioned. I agree that the first year is probably the worst, and over time, kinks probably get worked out (or you know the vehicle so well by then, the fixing gets to be second nature).

I do love the layout, which is why I bought it. It's fantastic when I get it to a destination and put out that giant slide - but getting it to that destination can be stressful with the jarring ride.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:59 PM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have a 2021 Axis 24.1 with the E350 chassis. You probably have the E450 chassis, but as I understand it, there is little difference between the two.

I actually believe that the steering and roll response is pretty good. If yours isn't, you should do a front end alignment and tell the tech that you want at least 5 degrees caster. More caster improves the return to center response.

The ride sucks, but it is what it is and probably can't be improved much. Maybe high end Bilstein shocks might help dampen it.

My dash does bounce around independently of the chassis frame and in my case has caused the display to jump out of its "mounting" and fall down a few inches. I epoxied it back together and used some wire cable to stabilize the back of the radio case which otherwise is only supported by the front mounting. All of that weight is free to bounce when a pothole is hit.

I started a thread a few weeks ago asking if anyone had a 2021/22 Axis that could tell me if I was missing a mounting bracket and from the answers I got, there is no mounting bracket. Wish there were. I will add some perforated steel strap to stabilize it further.

If there is one thing that I could point to where Thor totally blew it, it is that radio/display installation. A total POS.

David
Old 06-15-2022, 08:05 PM   #15

THOR #25694
i have fixed most of the little problems. but some are beyond me.. i try to send you a privet message but you dont get them.. dont know how to get you my phone number so maybe i could help.
have you got to the battery yet? you need to add water to it.. i hope i can get my oil changed very hard to find the fill cap.
what motor do you have? i have the 7.3 V8 just love it i get 10 to 11 mpg at 63 mph.
as for the dash board iam still working with that fixed most of the movement but its all hollow under neath not much to use for bracing.
right now we are working on a front windsheld shade the sun is hell coming in
Old 06-15-2022, 08:06 PM   #16

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by vealessi View Post
I have a 2021 Axis 25.6 and feel your pain. I have had a long list of items I have fixed and/or improved over the past 1.5 years as well.

I did not really want this to be a hobby, but unfortunately the folks here are correct; it is a hobby, and luckily I am handy.

The biggest issue that I am having is the rough ride. I have done most of the suspension upgrades people have suggested on these vehicles - front/rear sumo springs, front/rear upgraded shocks, front/rear sway bars - but the ride is still horrible. It's OK on certain smooth roads, but there is some type of little bump, or maybe a series of little bumps, that cause an amazing amount of jarring vibration in the dash - the dash moves independently of the frame, and the center section where the stereo is mounted wants to vibrate loose as well. It just doesn't seem right. I was coming home from a trip yesterday, and wondering whether this is really the way all of these Vegas/Axis' drive? Or do I have some major build malfunction? It really is intolerable at this point. I have taken the dash apart once to try to improve things (I did) and short of doing that again, I am out of ideas. I also had a suspension shop install the shocks/stabilizers and they didn't see anything abnormal.

In addition to the rough ride, there is also next to no clearance on this vehicle. I have snapped the fresh water tank PVC pipe off because Thor decided it was a good idea to let it hang 6" below the vehicle (cut yours flush now!), bent a stabilizer (no shops want to attempt fixing it) and now I have a leaking black water knife valve (this is the one near the rear right wheel) - not sure why this extra one is needed when there is one in the bay used to dump? Thor positioned it so that the handle faces down, so when it is open, it's the lowest point underneath.

Sorry to add to the negativity but the timing lined up with my troubles. It would be great to take a ride in somebody else's rig and see if the ride is as jarring, or have somebody who knows these vehicles well do a drive-along (I'm in Santa Cruz, CA FWIW).

Sadly I think it comes down to building a class A on a class C chassis (also makes servicing a pain-in-the-a), 16" wheels, and the build quality. This is an entry-level vehicle as was mentioned. I agree that the first year is probably the worst, and over time, kinks probably get worked out (or you know the vehicle so well by then, the fixing gets to be second nature).

I do love the layout, which is why I bought it. It's fantastic when I get it to a destination and put out that giant slide - but getting it to that destination can be stressful with the jarring ride.

Wow wow ..2020 vegas 25.6 and NO external or chassis mods. 22k miles . Never road issues..
We do watch clearance in and out of gas stations etc.
I would go to an independent repair shop for a full review.
We had a list of small things. The experts here helped Lora and I fix EVERYTHING..they are masters here..
Use them send pictures and details
Good luck my friend
Old 06-15-2022, 08:11 PM   #17

THOR #20220
Quote:
i have fixed most of the little problems. but some are beyond me.. i try to send you a privet message but you dont get them.. dont know how to get you my phone number so maybe i could help.
have you got to the battery yet? you need to add water to it.. i hope i can get my oil changed very hard to find the fill cap.
what motor do you have? i have the 7.3 V8 just love it i get 10 to 11 mpg at 63 mph.
as for the dash board iam still working with that fixed most of the movement but its all hollow under neath not much to use for bracing.
right now we are working on a front windsheld shade the sun is hell coming in
01) Folks here helped us buy AGM 125 batteries. Best decision ever
02) had our tech make it easy to get to battery and oil through passenger dash or you can buy this long flexible green thing on Amazon to fill
03) we use reflex silver for all windows . Zero sun and cold issues..see all posts
Old 06-15-2022, 08:28 PM   #18

THOR #25694
vegas 25.6

Quote:
01) Folks here helped us buy AGM 125 batteries. Best decision ever
02) had our tech make it easy to get to battery and oil through passenger dash or you can buy this long flexible green thing on Amazon to fill
03) we use reflex silver for all windows . Zero sun and cold issues..see all posts
please tell me what is reflex silver i dont know that.
i got into my dash board under the computer desk to fill the battery. when this battery goes i will go AGM hope i can get it in there.. my oil fill is on the drivers side i hope my truck dealer will do it.
REMEMBER THOR BUILDS THEM BETTER
Old 06-15-2022, 08:32 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #22407
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I have a 2021 Axis 24.1 with the E350 chassis. You probably have the E450 chassis, but as I understand it, there is little difference between the two.

I actually believe that the steering and roll response is pretty good. If yours isn't, you should do a front end alignment and tell the tech that you want at least 5 degrees caster. More caster improves the return to center response.

The ride sucks, but it is what it is and probably can't be improved much. Maybe high end Bilstein shocks might help dampen it.

My dash does bounce around independently of the chassis frame and in my case has caused the display to jump out of its "mounting" and fall down a few inches. I epoxied it back together and used some wire cable to stabilize the back of the radio case which otherwise is only supported by the front mounting. All of that weight is free to bounce when a pothole is hit.

I started a thread a few weeks ago asking if anyone had a 2021/22 Axis that could tell me if I was missing a mounting bracket and from the answers I got, there is no mounting bracket. Wish there were. I will add some perforated steel strap to stabilize it further.

If there is one thing that I could point to where Thor totally blew it, it is that radio/display installation. A total POS.

David
Thanks David, I really appreciate your response, it helps. I agree that the steering and roll response are good, and where I used to get blown sideways by semi's, the stabilizers too care of that. It is really just those 'pothole' like bumps where it feels like there is zero shock absorption whatsoever; wish something could be done.

My stereo fell into the dash less than an hour after pickup; unbelievable. I remounted myself by bending out of of the tabs on the metal collar that goes around the head unit so that it would no longer fall into the dash. There were also 2 nuts at the bottom of that center console that were missing so I added those as wells as some reinforcement at the top. I also wondered why there wasn't something securing the back of the head unit and think I will try to add something as well.

I really wish I could fix the primary issue and not have the jarring in the first place - the jarring is so bad over certain bumps that I'm not surprised stuff rattles loose, but all I seem to be able to do is treat the 'symptoms' by better securing the radio, the dash, etc.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #20

THOR #20220
Quote:
please tell me what is reflex silver i dont know that.
i got into my dash board under the computer desk to fill the battery. when this battery goes i will go AGM hope i can get it in there.. my oil fill is on the drivers side i hope my truck dealer will do it.
REMEMBER THOR BUILDS THEM BETTER
Reflectix BP48010 Double Pack... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M2F4XD5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M2F4XD5...p_mob_ap_share