Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5337
Vegas handlling

I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 (E450) and I'm planning on hopefully improving the handling (suspension) of the rig. I plan on installing a safe T plus but any other thoughts from others would be welcome as to sway bars, shocks, ect.
Thank you in advance

Old 01-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbottom View Post
I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 (E450) and I'm planning on hopefully improving the handling (suspension) of the rig. I plan on installing a safe T plus but any other thoughts from others would be welcome as to sway bars, shocks, ect.
Thank you in advance
Three things you should definitely do if you want to improve your steering and handling...

1. Align the front end, making sure you have at least 5 degrees of caster (ask before the alignment if they can adjust caster...some older systems can only do camber and toe on a Vegas...yes, I found out the hard way)

2. Install a Safe-T-Plus

3. Install heavy duty sway bars - front and rear

I did all this on my 2016 within 300 miles of purchase, and it was like driving an entirely different coach. Best money I've spent on the coach yet.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We purchased our 24.1 January 2016....
We had it aligned in April...but, caster was only set to 4.3 at that time...the fella said..bring it back if you want more adjustment...
We got busy with trips and having read several posts from other owners who said...drive it...it will get better...and some said they never did any Safe T Plus or heavier Sway Bars.
Having said that....as soon as we bring our Axis out of winter storage this year...we will, immediately, have the caster brought up to recommended 5-5.5 setting...getting Safe T Plus and heavier sway bars .

Looking forward to many miles of happy camping this year !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:29 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We have a 2016 24.1 on e450 chassis. It was used when we picked it up, less than 2000 miles.

First trip was a little odd getting used to sloppy steering and wind. The trip home was better. Whomever said you will get used to handling was correct. I did, no more sawing on wheel constantly. I tow steady at 75 without issue. I have learned to watch mirrors and give as much lane space as possible to overtaking trucks.

I added a reflex stabilizer. Helped on center a bit.

Tire pressure in front is huge change. Too much and it wanders bad, follows anything in road surface. 72 to 75 in front works good. 65 in rear works good.

I will probably add bigger sway bars. A little stiffer will not hurt.

Based on tire wear, previous owner had alignment done. Front tires wearing fine, no signs of issue in 7500 total miles.