Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2022, 07:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas
State: New Jersey
THOR #25689
Vegas ProAir control panel issues

Hello,
I have a 2016 thor Vegas 25.2
This last summer we drove it across the country. about 5,000 miles in the dash ac died. I spent many hours researching solutions, paid a ton of money to rv repair shops and even installed three different control panels and still had no ac.
Anyway I recently had my mechanic obsess on the issue for weeks, somehow he finally got into contact with former technicians at pro air that informed him the the Jumper Harness was defective. Later models had corrected jumper harnesses installed but mine apparently did not. Today I called Thor asking about the harness and they acted like they had no idea about it.
Anyway has anyone else had this issue with their ac control panel? If you open the panel you can see the lines completely burned from the ac button.
Have any of you had Thor pay to repair this issue in your unit?

Thank you any help would be appreciated

Old 01-03-2022, 07:58 PM   #2

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Can you order a new harness from pro air or just rewire it yourself with a new switch and heavier wire or put a relay in line to take the load?
Old 01-03-2022, 11:50 PM   #3

THOR #25689
I think my mechanic built the one in my rv. I think the original manufacturer of the panel has closed down. I’ll post the response my mechanic forwarded
Here’s their conversation
Engineer: We did have a jumper harness, but we didn’t create a part number because it was a quick fix until we could incorporate the mov into the main wire harness.
We don’t sell the mov’s separately. They are supplied by our harness supplier. Sorry, but they are only available in a large quantity unless you can find a smaller quantity at a local electronics supplier.

Mechanic: Do you know the spec on the varistor I would need to add?

Engineer: Any 12vdc mov available would be sufficient. It doesn’t handle a continuous electrical load, but instead is for a voltage surge during vehicle ignition.

Mechanic: I was able to source the same MOV part number on your diagrams. As I don’t have the jumper harness is it acceptable to just solder this MOV between 12v and Ground just passed the connector at the HVAC control unit?

Engineer: Yes, then electrical tape or split shrink wrap to cover the exposed leads.

None of that conversation makes sense to me but if you understand it, I hope it helps!

I find it ridiculous that Thor doesn’t know about this issue. I spent weeks driving through the desert sweating my butt off bc of something that should’ve been fixed before I bought the thing.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:19 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A few things:
First
you have a very dedicated mechanic who happened to hit upon the one engineer in the world willing to help.

Second
'you open the panel you can see the lines completely burned from the ac button.'
How blind was Everyone that removing the very first panel which should have been removed reveals the exact and total problem?

Third
A 2016 is far too old to be bothering thor about. It's ANCIENT history. What did your extended warranty company say?

Fourth
Your post might save someone some discontent. Thanks for posting the cure.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:42 AM   #5

THOR #25689
Worlds best mechanic
Btw it was in his shop for body work I just happened to mention the ac and he and his son went above and beyond.
Anyone needing body work or any restoration work should reach out to Patrick Walsh in egg harbor township nj.
He had a coke machine some rare Harley trike some vintage pick ups all meticulously restored and my rv which looks perfect.
I hope my post helped, I had used this forum a lot while traveling and searched this issue many times. I hope I save someone a lot of frustration and $$$.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:49 AM   #6

THOR #25689
Duckface where in Arizona are you? I lived in page for 6 years. It was actually in page where my ac died. Pulling into page I had no generator leaving I had a generator just no dash ac haha
Old 01-04-2022, 01:01 AM   #7

THOR #13932
Page?
Woof!(in my best Terri Garr voice)
We've accomplished a bit of ghost towning at some of the old Mormon stops along whatever that crossing is west of the dam.
I've drift/magnetometer dived horseshoe or whatever that bend is called. Antelope Canyon from the backside. We used to run the rez pretty hard. Bullfrog up the backside to the Animus and Mexican Hat to Page on cowtrails. The Page town itself is always just a Denny's to us.
We're fans of(the name escapes me) the first Utah town across the border.

I'm 8 miles north of Williams on the 64. The Same 64 that goes to Cameron(extra breathy woof) through the Grand Canyon Park and down to the 40.
Same Coconino County as Page.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:20 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
I had my ProAir control panel die on my 2022 Vegas 24.1 at 2000 miles. I troubleshot it myself in under 45 mins. The power from the AC button wasn't coming out of the control panel. Thor sent me a new one.

I opened the old panel and found a burnt board trace right at the AC button. Repaired it and now I have a spare control panel.

My panel looks like this google image.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:14 PM   #9

THOR #13932
Please Put a link to that panel to save us the grief of looking it up when ours blows out.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:08 PM   #10

State: South Dakota
THOR #11771
2018 Vegas 24.1

This happened to us in Cody Wyoming this summer I had it at two RV shops I took it to Gator Ford was able to make it activate the compressor if you bypassed control board this was at Gator Ford in Tampa Florida. It is now at a small shop in Lakeland Florida. This should help greatly

I could sure use the link
Old 01-15-2022, 10:29 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiflog18 View Post
This happened to us in Cody Wyoming this summer I had it at two RV shops I took it to Gator Ford was able to make it activate the compressor if you bypassed control board this was at Gator Ford in Tampa Florida. It is now at a small shop in Lakeland Florida. This should help greatly

I could sure use the link
Just search for "Evans Tempcon Parts". Proair is probably the best place to buy. The part number for the most used panels is 01 000 889.
https://www.proairllc.com/products/t...tats-controls/
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:40 PM   #12

THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Just search for "Evans Tempcon Parts". Proair is probably the best place to buy. The part number for the most used panels is 01 000 889.
https://www.proairllc.com/products/t...tats-controls/
Lists for $544 MSRP from ProAir.

Best place to buy is a distributor that has some they want to move. Still will be expensive. This is the first one that came up in a search.

https://comfortairgr.com/shop/thermo...oair-01001889/
Old 07-29-2022, 07:38 PM   #13

THOR #25689
Ok so many months later, new compressor and many more repairs and we are leaking freon still. The new hoses are going to cost me $800 and $700! I am approaching $10,000 in repairs and still have no AC!
I have had many break downs over all of this, I feel like I am getting scammed every step of the way.
Anyway today is our last ditch effort to repair the ac then I just sell the RV. It really sucks because I have been hoping to put in a solar system and upgrade the batteries but all my Money is going into the freaking AC.

As far as how much has my extended warranty helped? I am hoping they will cover $2,000 but they are really being resistant to that.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:30 AM   #14

THOR #25689
Fresh air intake hoses Thor vegas/axis

So if any of you have seen my posts my dash ac has been a nightmare! I finally have it fixed!
I just drove to Delaware river gap and when I opened my engine my intake hoses were red hot and melting!

Has anyone replaced these? Mine are cheap thin plastic wrapped around metal wire. Not the best design as they seem to rest on the battery!
I’m buying new hoses tomorrow does anyone have any suggestions?
What about rerouting them under the coach so the air doesn’t enter from above the hot radiator and then travel over the battery and behind the hot engine.
I was thinking if I could cut the air temp down some maybe the ac wouldn’t have to work so hard?
Old 08-02-2022, 12:34 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvclassrooms View Post
So if any of you have seen my posts my dash ac has been a nightmare! I finally have it fixed!
I just drove to Delaware river gap and when I opened my engine my intake hoses were red hot and melting!

Has anyone replaced these? Mine are cheap thin plastic wrapped around metal wire. Not the best design as they seem to rest on the battery!
What about rerouting them under the coach so the air doesn’t enter from above the hot radiator and then travel over the battery and behind the hot engine.
I was thinking if I could cut the air temp down some maybe the ac wouldn’t have to work so hard?
That problem has been discussed on this forum a couple of times.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:38 AM   #16

THOR #25689
Vegas ac issues cont…

if any of you have seen my posts my dash ac has been a nightmare! I finally have it fixed!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE3C0879-9225-4657-9BA5-F90B42971827.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	38977   Click image for larger version

Name:	C703A1D8-0C1A-40B1-8D8A-3B9F971EACA4.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	38978  

Name:	60FF6919-8942-4800-827F-9B8CAF35F1D9.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	38979   Click image for larger version

Name:	1C70BD28-1485-471B-8CB6-3C5C933AF30C.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	38980  

Old 08-02-2022, 02:40 AM   #17

THOR #25689
what should I search to find the discussions? I really want to know what hoses I should replace these with.
Thank you
Old 08-02-2022, 07:23 AM   #18

THOR #21919
Too bad you couldn't get a picture of "red hot" vinyl hoses.

Air in front of the radiator is the coolest you will find. Unfortunately the way the evap housing is installed, the evap drains some condensation into these hoses and causes them to fill up with water, restricting airflow.

I rerouted mine to in front of the tire downward so they could drain.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:51 PM   #19

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
There is plastic tubing that is used for air intakes on line. The filer could be put right behind the grill with a cover in front to block the rain, or this, there are many more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	air intake.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	38986  
Old 08-02-2022, 01:16 PM   #20

THOR #25689
Awesome thank you. I ordered some hoses and Flanges so I could actually attach the hoses to the rv. They were sort of sitting the the cutouts above radiator.
I’m also going to use straps to lift the hoses closer to the top of the engine so the won’t fall or rest on the engine or battery.
Any other suggestions?

Tags
dash air conditioning