Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #6090
Vegas vs others

We have a Vegas 24.1 but are considering purchasing a larger MH. First, what is the difference between the Vegas and Axis? Second, what is the difference between the ACE and Windsport? The layouts and size looks about the same, but I didn't know what makes each one different from the other.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #2

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcat View Post
We have a Vegas 24.1 but are considering purchasing a larger MH. First, what is the difference between the Vegas and Axis? Second, what is the difference between the ACE and Windsport? The layouts and size looks about the same, but I didn't know what makes each one different from the other.
Axis vs Vegas - difference is the headlight cluster that's it. The difference between the F53 chassis and E450 is driving characteristics in wind and MPG. I have had people talk to me who have the F53 chassis and are interested in the Axis Vegas due to the winds out west. Tired of the fight usually older folks (70 +)
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53
Axis vs Vegas - difference is the headlight cluster that's it. The difference between the F53 chassis and E450 is driving characteristics in wind and MPG. I have had people talk to me who have the F53 chassis and are interested in the Axis Vegas due to the winds out west. Tired of the fight usually older folks (70 +)
Physical differences: yeah the headlights are different. In addition they are sold with different (but similar) color schemes. Floorplans are identical.

Axis/Vegas are built on Ford's E-Series(van) chassis making them smaller and lower to the ground (like Class-C's which are also E-Series based).

ACE, Windsport, Hurricane, Miramar, Challenger, etc. are all built on Ford's F-53 frame making them longer, wider, and taller than Axis/Vegas units.

The larger units will have more room and more storage but will also burn a bit more gas and be affected by wind/passing trucks/etc. a little bit more (simply due to the size).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
Interior color schemes, countertops and flooring are the main differences we saw between the Axis & Vegas. Vegas flooring is what steered us to the Axis. Not a fan of the linoleum faux stone look.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #5

State: Arizona
THOR #6443
The Vegas front headlight configuration made my choice easy. Vegas has the looks
Old 03-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We thought about going larger. The F-53 chassis stopped us. Bigger wider, less nimble in general was not worth extra space/cost. We can park Vegas next to pool and plug into RV outlet. I tow a race car trailer and the extra capacity of the e450 is great. I hear complaints about old tech v10, but as my first Ford ever, I am impressed at performance.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

....cut....

ACE, Windsport, Hurricane, Miramar, Challenger, etc. are all built on Ford's F-53 frame making them longer, wider, and taller than Axis/Vegas units.

....cut......
This morning while looking at 2000 Hurricane MH specs, I found it interesting that overall height was listed the same as Axis/Vegas at 11'-3". Headroom is a little less than Axis/Vegas, but shows that much of the increase is due to buying preference for greater basement storage and additional headroom.

ACE, Winsport, Hurricane are now nearly a foot taller (11"), with Challenger a foot and a half taller (18"). The F53 chassis only accounts for 4 or 5 inches of that based on Ford specs. Much of the large difference compared to Challenger seems to be the pass-through underfloor storage.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:57 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Vegas vs Axis? As noted, minor styling differences. The fiberglass is a different color, too. Way back when, Chevy and GMC did the same things with pickups. They all went down the same line, just different grills, headlights and markings. I heard of one that came with an opposite name on the glove box. With two brands, more dealers can offer the model. That equals more sales for the company.

Vegas vs others? RVs are like shoes, the style and size that fits me may or may not fit you. Plus, our situations and preferences can change over time. We traded our 33' Class A gas for our Vegas 25.2. If our travels involved less moving and staying longer in one place, the bigger rig would be a better choice. Or, if the two of us weren't comfortable in close quarters, the bigger rig would be good.

Travelingcat, you didn't say why you were considering a bigger rig. Some of your friends here have upsized and some have downsized. If you want to benefit from their experience, share more about why you are looking to change.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 AM   #9

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
I've seen the 7500 series Chevy-GMC chassis come with a GMC horn button on a Chevy chassis, and we had one that had a Chevy badge on the right side and a GMC badge on the left side of the truck.