Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #9612
Warranty work

Finally got my warranty work complete, once I went to the service manager at giant RV , things started getting done, still took another 4 months. Took it home Friday, went thru all the repears myself, and all seems to be good, no more water leaks. Taking it out end if this week for a new test run, hope all is good have 3 trips plan over the next 3 months. Recommend if you need warranty work done get with Thor and review the parts list, one if my parts was .39 cents, took like 3 weeks to get, if I had checked the parts list earlier would have bought the part myself. Good luck on your RV, looking forward to us
eing mine.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
I hesitate to take anything in for warranty work at all. I'm not in a position to be months without my rig. Each repair is a like a "make or buy" decision.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #3

THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
I hesitate to take anything in for warranty work at all. I'm not in a position to be months without my rig. Each repair is a like a "make or buy" decision.
I hear you, hope I can take care of future stuff
Old 02-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Chad,
Congratulations on getting your rig back, and finding that everything is up to snuff!
(I'm at almost four Months, and am hoping to have a similar outcome with mine.)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #5

THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Chad,
Congratulations on getting your rig back, and finding that everything is up to snuff!
(I'm at almost four Months, and am hoping to have a similar outcome with mine.)
Good luck, time to use it for what we bought for[emoji3]
Old 02-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad523 View Post
Good luck, time to use it for what we bought for[emoji3]
Amen...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Four months!! Hope they got it ALL perfect. Enjoy your travels.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:35 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Got mine back Friday after only six weeks. Interestingly, I had warranty work and non-warranty work being done and the non-warranty work was done ten days after I dropped it off.

The warranty work took a month from the time they had finished the non-warranty work. They didn't start it until the warranty work was done and it took ten minutes to learn they needed a part. The part was ordered on Jan 15th, shipped by the part manufacturer direct to the dealer (by-passed Thor) on Jan 30th. I called the dealer on Feb 7th and they said they didn't have it yet. When I told them it had been shipped directly to them 8 days earlier, they said they would check the "back room" and call me back. They called about ten minutes later and said, "Yes, it's here. We'll get someone working on it." It was about a twenty minute job to do the work (remove and replace a window shade).

I have a feeling all the work done on my motor home would be done much faster if I was paying for it. By the way, the non-warranty work had parts ordered, also. They took a day to get and the technician knew exactly when they arrived.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #9

THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
Got mine back Friday after only six weeks. Interestingly, I had warranty work and non-warranty work being done and the non-warranty work was done ten days after I dropped it off.

The warranty work took a month from the time they had finished the non-warranty work. They didn't start it until the warranty work was done and it took ten minutes to learn they needed a part. The part was ordered on Jan 15th, shipped by the part manufacturer direct to the dealer (by-passed Thor) on Jan 30th. I called the dealer on Feb 7th and they said they didn't have it yet. When I told them it had been shipped directly to them 8 days earlier, they said they would check the "back room" and call me back. They called about ten minutes later and said, "Yes, it's here. We'll get someone working on it." It was about a twenty minute job to do the work (remove and replace a window shade).

I have a feeling all the work done on my motor home would be done much faster if I was paying for it. By the way, the non-warranty work had parts ordered, also. They took a day to get and the technician knew exactly when they arrived.
Sounds about right
Old 02-13-2018, 12:45 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup! If they have to wait for Thor's okay before starting a project: it's always going to feel as if you're watching paint dry.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:50 AM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Sounds about right
Same thing happened with us at Giant RV when our hood was cracking and needed a replacement. I had to call them at Giant RV and was told that it wasn't in yet, but it was when I told them what Thor had told me. I didn't really do the phone call thing either, I did almost all through email which I forwarded to the service writer at Giant RV, that way I didn't have to play voice middle man, just email middle man. Glad the warranty year is up actually.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:51 AM   #12

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Yup! If they have to wait for Thor's okay before starting a project: it's always going to feel as if you're watching paint dry.
Actually, Bob, they had Thor's approval the same day they started working the warranty job, Jan 15th, ordered the part that same day. Thor ordered it from the manufacturer on the 15th also. The manufacturer shipped it direct to the dealer on the 30th.

My big issue is, if the technician would have taken ten minutes to look at the warranty job the same day they started the non-warranty work, he would have known right then the part needed ordering and it could have been ordered a week and a half earlier.

Also, I have no doubt they had the part in the"back room" several days before I called and had them look for it - the parts department hadn't let them know it had come in.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 02-13-2018, 01:41 AM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Finally got my warranty work complete, once I went to the service manager at giant RV , things started getting done, still took another 4 months. Took it home Friday, went thru all the repears myself, and all seems to be good, no more water leaks. Taking it out end if this week for a new test run, hope all is good have 3 trips plan over the next 3 months. Recommend if you need warranty work done get with Thor and review the parts list, one if my parts was .39 cents, took like 3 weeks to get, if I had checked the parts list earlier would have bought the part myself. Good luck on your RV, looking forward to us
eing mine.
Don't know which Giant you went to, but I have had pretty good luck with them. They are not as fast as I would like, but they have managed to get all my warrantee work done, plus a lot of additional work and adds I have had them do. The things they have fixed and Installed have stayed functional.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:00 AM   #14

THOR #6826
I have found Thor to be fair - even generous - in approving repairs. Haven’t had to try my dealer yet but for the needs I’ve had, and certainly for something as simple as replacing a window shade, I’d just call Thor and ask them to send me the part and install it myself. I’d rather do it myself than leave my machine at the dealer for weeks or months at a time. In addition to knowing the work was done correctly I’d then know exactly how it worked. The more you do the more you know and the more confident you will be.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:06 AM   #15
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I have found Thor to be fair - even generous - in approving repairs. Haven’t had to try my dealer yet but for the needs I’ve had, and certainly for something as simple as replacing a window shade, I’d just call Thor and ask them to send me the part and install it myself. I’d rather do it myself than leave my machine at the dealer for weeks or months at a time. In addition to knowing the work was done correctly I’d then know exactly how it worked. The more you do the more you know and the more confident you will be.
Very True.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:41 AM   #16

THOR #8503
Quote:
If I didn't have other work I needed done, I could have repaired it myself. I wouldn't have ordered a new shade at all, I would have replaced the string that was too short and probably had it fixed in a half hour. Since I needed the other work done, I asked about that, too, figuring they would do both at the same time - wrong. I also have an issue with doing warranty work myself, just as a matter of principle; I feel like it lets Thor and the dealers off the hook and just enables bad initial quality and service. You spent a lot of money for this thing, why give them a pass on the problems? After being in the RV community for seven months now, I think I more fully understand why the quality and the service issues don't get better. There is no incentive for them to make it better - we are buying in record numbers and then fixing them ourselves.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 02-13-2018, 02:59 AM   #17

THOR #6826
I hope it works out that way and I applaud your conviction. Personally, I’d rather be camping but I’m rooting for you
Old 02-13-2018, 03:16 AM   #18

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #6952
It is so pathetic that we allow the RV industry to be so sub-standard. I purhased a new Toyota a year before my RV. I have been to my dealer for warranty work on the Toyota - ZERO times. I purchased a new Thor Challenger last May and have been back five times and another trip this Friday. I guess I am lucky that my dealer General RV does not allow you to drop the unit off, we have to set and wait or drive a second vehicle. I hope we consumers make the industry change to produce quality rather than quantity.

Overall I love my Thor Challenger 37KT, just hope the industry can turn it self around like the automobile industy has done.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:18 AM   #19

THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfield3 View Post
It is so pathetic that we allow the RV industry to be so sub-standard. I purhased a new Toyota a year before my RV. I have been to my dealer for warranty work on the Toyota - ZERO times. I purchased a new Thor Challenger last May and have been back five times and another trip this Friday. I guess I am lucky that my dealer General RV does not allow you to drop the unit off, we have to set and wait or drive a second vehicle. I hope we consumers make the industry change to produce quality rather than quantity.

Overall I love my Thor Challenger 37KT, just hope the industry can turn it self around like the automobile industy has done.
Agree, RV industry got down graded from wall street, they cant maintain the inventory to build and repair
Old 02-13-2018, 03:42 AM   #20

THOR #8503
Quote:
I hope it works out that way and I applaud your conviction. Personally, I’d rather be camping but I’m rooting for you
I think we would all rather be out camping. Too bad the only way to do that as much as I'd like is to start my third career - RV repairman. And that requires downtime, too, unless I do it all in the campgrounds and most I have stayed in state in their rules, "No RV repair at campsite." So, my choice seems to be stay at home and work in the driveway on the RV or stay at home and do other things while the dealer repairs it. Either way, I'm spending time at home when I want to be camping.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704