Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2016, 12:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36 TL
State: Virginia
THOR #3852
Washer/dryer for 2016 Challenger 36TL

We're full timing in our 2016 Challenger 36TL and we're leaning towards installing a washer/dryer combo to cut back on the trips to the laundry mat. I'm about decided on the Splendide 7100 XC ventless units. Can anyone give me some advice on this machine or any other considerations (ventless vs vented, safety tub under the unit to catch leaks, etc.). I plan to have it installed at Camping World.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:28 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I would recommend going with a vented combo. While I have not personally used the ventless 7100 XC, I have read multiple reviews and threads about how most people are not very happy with that model. I would recommend the 2100 XC which is vented. This is the one I just ordered for our 2017 Challenger being built. When we lived in Italy, we have a similar vented model and it worked pretty well. Best of luck.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:38 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoraist View Post
We're full timing in our 2016 Challenger 36TL and we're leaning towards installing a washer/dryer combo to cut back on the trips to the laundry mat. I'm about decided on the Splendide 7100 XC ventless units. Can anyone give me some advice on this machine or any other considerations (ventless vs vented, safety tub under the unit to catch leaks, etc.). I plan to have it installed at Camping World.
I did some research and found a Pinnacle combo unit that can be used as a vent or ventless unit (selectable electronically) and has good reviews. PPL Motorhomes has it on sale right now.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Whichever one you purchase, remember that they are all made in Europe, Italy in most cases, and are definitely much different than doing laundry in a regular washer and dryer. Plus can't do large loads and/or large blankets, etc. It takes some getting use to.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:44 AM   #5

THOR #3852
Thanks. I was concerned about the vented because of the obvious...hole to outside of coach and potential for leaks. Although most reviews indicate quicker drying times which makes sense. Am I concerned about nothing?
BHoraist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:54 AM   #6

THOR #4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoraist View Post
Thanks. I was concerned about the vented because of the obvious...hole to outside of coach and potential for leaks. Although most reviews indicate quicker drying times which makes sense. Am I concerned about nothing?
I like the option to convert to vented if the ventless does not work out. I seen many reviews where folks say ventless drying takes very long. I also contacted Thor and they said poking a hole in the wall of the slider for a vented unit is not an issue just make sure you are between studs.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:16 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Ohio
THOR #4090
The ventless work good but there is a learning curve. You have to forget about all you know about doing laundry because they are nothing like doing laundry at home. Once you learn the little tricks and you have to be very paciant you will not have a problem with the ventless
Old 06-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #8

Model: Challenger
State: Florida
THOR #3118
We have the Splendide 2100 XC in our Challenger LX. So far it works good. Camping World installed it and did a great job. We have the Chrome vent on the outside, it looks good and hasn't leaked. From what I've heard and read, the ventless combo's don't dry as well and it heats up your coach.
DEimerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #9

THOR #3852
Thanks. Think I will order the same unit and will also get the chrome vent. Hadn't thought about the heat inside the coach. I just received my Sunguard windshield cover for the outside because so much heat is coming in. I hope this helps. I'll have Camping world do the install on the Sunguard as well when I'm there for the W/D.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #10

State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
To Thumbs up on the Splendide 2100 XC. Two Huge Thumbs DOWN on ventless units. Not GOOD.

We've had our Splendide for 1 year. Used a LOT for 7 months, only issue we've had is the drain hose can get too low and the washer doesn't fill correctly. Figured it out and fixed it.

As related by DEimerman, easiest way is to have a competent servicer install - probably will have a chrome dryer vent cover. No problems here on any leaks.

Again, the Splendide 2100 uses the least amount of space and is very efficient. We (read BigBen) really had come to dislike the laundry rooms. No more laundry room.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:36 PM   #11

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Follow the recommendations of folks that have used one.

But I will tell you this. It is not like using your separate washer & dryer. When I was assigned to the US Embassy in London our flat had a washer/dryer like this. My wife hated it. It spun at an ungodly speed. And when it entered dryer mode, it basically "boiled" the water out of the clothes. The glass window in the door got so hot you would burn your finger if you touched it.
We bought a frying rack and dried our clothes in the second bedroom.

Hopefully the ones used in an RV do not operate like that.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #12

THOR #1020
Ed - in our experience, the Splendide operates with little heat or vibration. Works very well.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:36 AM   #13

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Glad to hear that Ben. The one we had in London was evil. First time we used it to dry was for colored clothes. Actually burned my fingers on the rivets on a pair of jeans they had gotten so hot. That was the first and only time we used it to dry.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #14

THOR #3852
Does anyone have a safety pan installed to catch water leaks? Thoughts? I'm sure it would be a huge mess if the washer sprung a leak.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #15

THOR #1020
BHoraist - I thought about this when ours was being installed. Then I unthought about it. We've got so many failure points for water (fresh, gray, black) that focusing on a what if plan for the washer leaking wasn't gonna help much. My hoses and plumbing for the washer/dryer are very visible and some are easy to access. I've had a sink "j" bend loosen, a self inflicted fresh water mess and some other smaller issues. In each case, water on the floor was QUICKLY noticeable. And we repaired without catastrophic results.

With that said, run the washer a few times only while in you're in the coach until you're comfortable with no leaks. Then use it.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #16

THOR #3852
Yep makes sense. Ours will be installed in the bedroom closet. Not sure how accessible the plumbing will be but shouldn't be to difficult.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #17

THOR #1020
On our Challenger 37TB, the washer/dryer is installed in a closet in the master bedroom. Directly below the W/D is an access panel to help drain/winterize. Take a page from our book also, make sure that the drain hose is even with the back edge of the W/D. If it gets lower, the W/D keeps fill and emptying. It eventually does wash but takes about 4 hours. Easy way to check is after you here the washer fill with water, if doesn't start into the wash cycle - the hose is to low. Only issue we've had.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #18

THOR #3852
Thanks all for the advice. I'm scheduled at Camping World for the 2100 XC install with chrome exterior vent. Also getting the Sunguard installed while I'm there. Happy trails!
Old 06-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #19

THOR #1020
Enjoy - travel safe.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #20

THOR #3852
Another question...do any of you use the detergent "pods" in your washer/dryer combo? We're getting the 2100 XC installed tomorrow and we normally use the pods in commercial machines for convenience.