Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #3511
Watching DVD's in my new Hurricane 29M

I just bought a new Hurricane 29M. I have no trouble driving the unit but the electronics are killing me.
I have the AV614BH receiver. The instruction manual that I found on line only refers to 'In-dash' DVD functions. Is the only place you can watch a DVD with this unit 'In-Dash'? What about the 3 full size televisions that are in this motor home. It was my understanding at the walk through when I picked up this unit that the DVD could b e displayed on the regular TVs. I have to say that I find watching a movie on a 6.2" display to be useless.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I believe it depends on the unit. You may want to check your cabinets to see if there are loose HDMI cables hiding in one. My coach came with a separate DVD player and I believe other come wired for DVD but do not include the player. If its wired for but doesn't include the player count yourself lucky in that you don't have to remove the old and get rid of it when you decide you want something better. The DVD player that came with mine was a cheap 29.00 RCA unit that was not Blu Ray compatible.

As a note, my Axxerra is not wired to play DVDs on the televisions.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
Mystery Wiring

Your dash DVD player is not connected to your TV's in the motorhome. If you have 3 TV's, the one in the bedroom is not going to be on the same system with the TV in the living room, and outside.

You must buy a DVD player. And, if like most RV's, you will also need to buy a new switch to install the DVD player into the coach's entertainment system. My Windsport came with 3 TV's, and a 2 input/output switch? How can you ave 3 tv's and a 2 position switch? Good question! You CANT!

The tv in the bedroom was NOT on the HDMI cable entertainment system, despite the THOR literature saying it was. I had to buy a 4 input/output switch, and have an HDMI cable run to the bedroom, to set up the bedroom tv,, all at my own expense. Now I have a DVD player and Apple TV on the switch, and can send any of the 4 inputs, to any of the 4 outputs, either individually, or one input to all.

Its nice, but with the switch and labor, it was over $800. THOR isn't such a value leader when you start uncovering all of the deficiencies and cut corners that you have to pay to have corrected.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
DVD Player

I thought the same thing and was also told that you could watch your DVDs at least on the screen above the doorway on our Axis 24.1. Nope! The two inside screens did have HDMI cables into the nearby cabinets where the receptacles are also located. I bought two small BluRay DVD players at Costco and leave them in the adjacent cabinets. I haven't had a need to watch a DVD on the outside screen but if and when I do, I'll just transfer the player to the input for it. You can make it work... I'd leave the unit in the dash alone....
Old 05-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Rihlefeld,

I have a Vegas 24.1 with the Axxera System and Seiki TV's (plain TV's, not Smart, just 110 V TVs) You CAN run the DVD off the Axxera and to your TV's but you have some work to do first.

First pull the Axxera out of the dash using the funny looking curved handle looking things that you may or may not have gotten with all your stuff.

Then find the two sets of RCA plugs (Yellow, White and Red in each set) on the back side of the Axxera units (mine were just laying there unused, unwanted).

Now get some long RCA cords and run them from the Axxerra to the TV on the inside and outside to be sure all is okay. Oh yeah, you won't get Hi Def using the RCA plugs.

Once you see how the picture quality is and if you decide to use the DVD player now you have to get busy and do a bit of "McGivering" to run the cables in hidden places to the two TV's.

Once I saw the quality, I changed my mind and went with a BluRay, a HDMI splitter and a day figuring out how to run the cables from over the sink to the outside TV (had to remove Microwave, drill a couple of holes, snake the cable down along the false wall next to the Fridge, back under the range behind the drawers, then out to the outside TV). I never figured how to get one to the back bedroom TV.

I have a Vegas 24.1 so I can only guess at what you will have to do.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 31S
State: Virginia
THOR #2130
Our Hurricane 31S has a switch box for the different TV's in a overhead cabinet closeset to the door. We had to add the DVD player and an Apple TV receiver. Agree about the DVD watching on the small display; almost a wasted feature.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy
Blue Ox Tow Bar and attachment Plate/SMI Brake System
Taking Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I thought the same thing and was also told that you could watch your DVDs at least on the screen above the doorway on our Axis 24.1. Nope! The two inside screens did have HDMI cables into the nearby cabinets where the receptacles are also located. I bought two small BluRay DVD players at Costco and leave them in the adjacent cabinets. I haven't had a need to watch a DVD on the outside screen but if and when I do, I'll just transfer the player to the input for it. You can make it work... I'd leave the unit in the dash alone....
Exactly what we did Earl...in the 24.1 it is simple to have a couple dvd/blueray players in the cabinet wired to the appropriate tv !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #6688
I too just bought a 2017 Hurricane and can't figure out how to watch a movie. It does have a DVD player and a HDMI box above the door. I have tried to change the input on the TV but to no avail. Please help
Old 03-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplaug View Post
I too just bought a 2017 Hurricane and can't figure out how to watch a movie. It does have a DVD player and a HDMI box above the door. I have tried to change the input on the TV but to no avail. Please help
- if you mean HDMI box as the Black Controller box, then make sure it's set to DVD for the TV you want to watch the DVD on
- use the TV remote and set the TVs INPUT to 'Cable'
- use the TV remote to SCAN the TV for Cable channels, which should find the DVD output screen on Ch3 or 4
- start the DVD

do NOT set the TV input to DVD, as this is for the TVs own internal DVD player, if it has one - like both of our bunk tvs do.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #10

THOR #6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
- if you mean HDMI box as the Black Controller box, then make sure it's set to DVD for the TV you want to watch the DVD on
- use the TV remote and set the TVs INPUT to 'Cable'
- use the TV remote to SCAN the TV for Cable channels, which should find the DVD output screen on Ch3 or 4
- start the DVD

do NOT set the TV input to DVD, as this is for the TVs own internal DVD player, if it has one - like both of our bunk tvs do.
Thank you. I went out after reading this and was able to get it to work. The movie started playing on all 3 tvs. Now I have to figure out the radio on the dash to stay on 1 radio channel instead of keep on scanning.

Thanks soo much
Old 03-05-2017, 11:33 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you look up in the left hand compartment over the dinette there is a box with hdmi plugs on the back. Plug a DVD player in anyone of the hdmi outlets and it will play on all three tv's. The box is automatic when you turn it on and will sense which plug has a signal and sent it to the tv's. Works great! I used sticky Velcro to fasten the DVD player to the switch box.

Since you have a 29M check out Jerry's Hurricane mods, under the modifications heading. Jerry started a great thread with lots of ideas for a 29M. First mod I would make is the CHF, makes a HUGE difference in how the coach drives!!!

Congratulations on your new coach!!! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #12

THOR #6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
If you look up in the left hand compartment over the dinette there is a box with hdmi plugs on the back. Plug a DVD player in anyone of the hdmi outlets and it will play on all three tv's. The box is automatic when you turn it on and will sense which plug has a signal and sent it to the tv's. Works great! I used sticky Velcro to fasten the DVD player to the switch box.

Since you have a 29M check out Jerry's Hurricane mods, under the modifications heading. Jerry started a great thread with lots of ideas for a 29M. First mod I would make is the CHF, makes a HUGE difference in how the coach drives!!!

Congratulations on your new coach!!! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I appreciate it. My wife and I are really looking forward to making memories.
Our new coach has the TV antenna but it does not have a switch to turn on like our old one and they aren't any lights to see what the signal is. I am going to have to figure this out I guess.

Thanks again
Old 03-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #13

State: Colorado
THOR #5477
The switch is in the cabinet next to the door. It is mounted to the front and hidden by the AC plug. Stand on dining booth cushion and you should see it. It is booster for antenna.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
State: Florida
THOR #6288
My switch is behind the TV, but it is hard to see. I have the 31s.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #15

THOR #5196
Like Phil said look up and to the left in the same cabinet. There is a coax outlet look on the far side of the outlet and you will se a TINY push button switch and a TINY green light that tells you when the antenna booster is on. Thor went out of their way to hide the booster!!! Lol
Old 03-07-2017, 12:55 AM   #16

THOR #6688
Thank you to everyone on info. I believe I have the TVs figured out. ow to figure out the in dash electronics.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:05 AM   #17

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplaug View Post
Thank you to everyone on info. I believe I have the TVs figured out. ow to figure out the in dash electronics.
Good luck with that one! Lol. If you have questions just ask!
Old 03-07-2017, 01:45 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Louisiana
THOR #3932
29m dvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rihlefeld View Post
I just bought a new Hurricane 29M. I have no trouble driving the unit but the electronics are killing me.
I have the AV614BH receiver. The instruction manual that I found on line only refers to 'In-dash' DVD functions. Is the only place you can watch a DVD with this unit 'In-Dash'? What about the 3 full size televisions that are in this motor home. It was my understanding at the walk through when I picked up this unit that the DVD could b e displayed on the regular TVs. I have to say that I find watching a movie on a 6.2" display to be useless.
In my 2017 29m the dvr video player for the 3 TV is in the cabinet above the dinette table.. that's the same place I've seen all 29m...as the person who u purchase it from, mine works fine..