Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2022, 07:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: Florida
THOR #9981
Question Water leak

I have a 2017 Hurricane 34J and have been having problems with the slide motor and seals. This led me to seeing that I have a leak behind the drivers seat, which I guess now that I have found it has been there for quite some time. The rig is parked with slide in and sits about 2-3 feet from a wall which gives it some protection. I have replaced some seals and wipers which were in questionable condition but after a really heavy Florida rain storm I found water on the floor. Like all water leaks even on a house roof, they are hard to trace. Can’t find anywhere that the seals are not compressed when slides in this is driving me nuts, want to try and fix it before it causes some real damage. Anyone experienced anything similar any pointers anyone can give me?

Old 08-11-2022, 10:23 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I have a 2020 Hurricane 29m and if you have water on the floor under and behind the drivers seat like I did the actual leak could be on the roof. Thor original installation of Winegard unit on my roof had NO sealant around the screws and allowed water to enter, run down inside the roof to the top of the drivers side window, run along the top window channel to the rear window frame, run down the frame to the wall, then run down the inside of the wall where it seeped out onto the floor of the raised drivers platform then rearward along the wall/floor seam until it reached the rear edge of the platform then over the edge and down to the main floor where it would puddle.
That was one leak that I fixed. My rig is stored inside so does not see rain unless we are using it. Just this week we are camped and experienced a very heavy downpour and I found more water in the same place! I know my first repair is still good so I must have another similar leak. I will be back up on the roof with a garden hose when we get home.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #3

THOR #9981
Thanks Vibeman need to try the hose on the window and see what happens.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:07 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
If you have satellite radio check the magnetic antenna on top. The magnetic seal is hot water tight. Also check your cab clearance lights. Mine weren’t sealed.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:03 PM   #5

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Tampa.bankie - I had similar issue with slide leaks at both front and rear. It did not matter if the rain was hard or not, the leaks were intermittent, sometime light, sometimes a flood. I have a 2015 34E Hurricane that I got from General last fall, and they said that they corrected the leaks. But after two visits, they did not get it right. I kept insisting that the only way that water is getting in is by getting past the primary seal (the seal that hits the body when the slide closes). They kept fixing the wiper and "adjusting" the outer seal. I gave up with them. I found new seals at a company called Steel and changed all of the outer seals, 100%. At first, I still had some "dribble", but once the seals took form to the body, I am happy to report that my rig is 100% dry inside regardless of rain. My suggestion, based on the age of yours, replace the outer seals.

Note - it is also important that the seals are install correctly and that the top seal always goes over the side seals. I did not glue mine.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:34 AM   #6

THOR #9981
Sappy2 I have replaced all the seals on the front side where the leak is an still get water. Of course when I soak the side down with a hose never see any water, even at times it rains I don’t see anything.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:00 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Take the hose up on top. Let it run on top while watching. A lot of times water intrusion originates where you’d least expect it.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:50 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #15052
Hurricane Leak Experiance

For a long time I had water getting on the floor when my slide was in on my 2018 Hurricane 34J. It ended up water was getting behind the trim at the bottom of the moving external exterior wall. The sun had baked it and there was a very tiny crack in the caulk the entire length. The RV was less than 2 years old. I re-caulked it with silicon and the leak went away. The crack was catching the water running down the wall like a gutter and the water was diverted by the trim into the floor of the camper.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:08 PM   #9

THOR #9981
Fordste Looks as if I may be the same only time I see any water is when the slide is in have not seen anything when the slide is out. There’s not much space to get in and look but from what I can see it looks as if it’s coming in around what would be the first roller which is about 1 foot in. So it’s possible that it may be channeling in via the “D” seal on the slide. I’m not a big guy but it’s difficult getting on the floor between the raised drivers area and the slide. What I need is a camera that you see the cops and special forces use for looking under doors. 🤣🤣🤣
Old 08-20-2022, 10:00 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #15052
I was also too big to see it coming in. I just made an assumption based on the condition of the sealant. You might want to run water on the side with it extended and check for any moisture that might be dripping on the underside of the slide. I remember having it out in the winter and wondering why I hade an icecicle hanging underneath.
I also found all the screws fastening the trim to the floor on the underside we rusted and breaking off. I drilled in new stainless steel screws. The floor was degraded too but not to the point of replacement.
While I was at it I added stainless steel oversized screws to the front and back of the slide. All the original fasters were not corrosion resistant and the heads would just break off when turned.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:07 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #15327
We chased a leak for a year and a half. Turns out that the metal gutter where the rubber roof meets the fiber glass on the side was the culprit. There should have been a weatherproof strip placed under the gutter on the drivers side when it was built but it was not there. I had recaulked this several times but it still leaked. we replaced the strip and it stopped.

As additional information they placed the strip on the passenger side where the awning is.

At some point I will have to replace the back 4 feet of floor, Yea Thor.

Tags
leak, slide leak, slide seals, water damage, water leaks