Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #14811
Unhappy Water leaks in storage compartments

I have a 2019 Thor 35M Windsport that has been in and out of the service department for issues with the basement storage compartments filling with water after rains. The motorhome is still under warranty but it appears the work is not fixing the leaks. Getting ready to take it back in for the third time.
Anyone else having this same issue?

Old 07-11-2020, 09:18 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
My big rear compartment door seal leaked. If you look at the bulb seal you could see when the door touched the seal and where it didn't. To fix I put 1/8 inch thick foam tape on the door all the way around. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	24771
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Clean both contact surfaces well.
Cover both surfaces with a length of black electrical tape.
Dust one, not the other, with baby powder or corn starch.
Close hatch.
Open hatch.
Look.
Fix.

And
Make sure the drain plugs for your bins are in place.

And
Filled vs wet inside?
Possible le condensation.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:18 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
In my case, the door has a very small raised bead about 1/16" wide and high. Look at the seal and you could see a dent where it engaged and a smooth surface where it didn't.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:00 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
You might want to contact Thor and book an appointment at the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa.

They have a sophisticated rain bay and will be able to determine where and why it is leaking and fix it the right way.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:29 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We had our 2016 VEGAS in four times for a wet storage bay. They tried to adjust the door and replaced seal(s) and it was still wet. We put a light inside at night to see if there was any light showing on the seals, nada..

I finally have decided that it could be moisture condensation. We keep the AC running even while stored. And, above the compartment there is a large metal tube for floor support, so there is little of no insulation between the cooler floor of the coach and the warm and humid storage. I just keep articles that moisture wont damage in that one.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:06 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Virginia
THOR #18153
Leaking Cargo Compartment Doors

I have at least a little water in each storage compartment in my 2020 Hurricane 34J after even light rain. So far, increasing the rubber seal has not solved the problem. All compartment doors appear to be warped/bowed out, although this is much more noticeable on the longer doors. If I turn on the cargo lights at night and walk around the coach, the gaps are very evident and get larger towards the center (top) of each door. As I push on the center/top of each door, the light no longer shows through. I am thinking about ordering more twist latches and installing 1 on the top/middle of each door to pull that part of the door in, but I concerned about drilling additional holes in the doors for the new latches. Has anyone else tried this yet?
Old 01-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #8

Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10590 View Post
I have at least a little water in each storage compartment in my 2020 Hurricane 34J after even light rain. So far, increasing the rubber seal has not solved the problem. All compartment doors appear to be warped/bowed out, although this is much more noticeable on the longer doors. If I turn on the cargo lights at night and walk around the coach, the gaps are very evident and get larger towards the center (top) of each door. As I push on the center/top of each door, the light no longer shows through. I am thinking about ordering more twist latches and installing 1 on the top/middle of each door to pull that part of the door in, but I concerned about drilling additional holes in the doors for the new latches. Has anyone else tried this yet?
I have installed 2 on my rear kitchen door. Not a problem.
Didn’t solve my issues though. My problem occurs in travel, it is a big door and the air currents must open it a crack. Latches should work for you though.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #9

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Anyone tried a gutter above door
Old 01-03-2021, 02:59 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
I have two (2) compartment doors that leak a bit in hard rains. I contacted Challenger Door (the compartment door manufacturer) regarding the seal & was told that they've updated the seal a tad for my specific model ... I bought a length of the new seal & plan on re-doing.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:38 PM   #11

State: Florida
THOR #24693
Just wondering if this helped? I replaced the foam around the inside but am still getting a lot of water. Where did you purchase the 1/8 inch foam. What did you use on the corners? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
High volume baby diapers have a type of gel in them which holds something like 100 times their weight of water and water does not drip once absorbed.
I'll guess the ones I have in the corner if my bin holds about a pint(.5 liters) each. I left a side door open in a 1.5 inch 20mph rain and it filled two diapers, leaving just a mist on the floor of the bin I left open.
They'll dry out in low humidity and you can use them again(if you're so inclined toward frugalism)

It won't fix your leak but it'll catch every drop of water that gets near it. Just place it butt side down on the floor of your bin. You drive, water sloshes...gone.
And
I highly suggest you keep 6 or so of them in your rv for random spills.
One under your black tank outlet Isn't the worst idea I've posted....