Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I'll be damned! Now I wonder why they put variable flow devices on the end of every water device in my rig? Maybe they didn't presume everyone was stupider than they were?

Bill
You forgot to bring up the government mandated flow restriction devices in the showerhead in your argument.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #22

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
A muni system with 40 psi? WOW!!! Couldn't live there. I live in a small town <250 people with two deep wells, no tower, but a small 5,000 gal pressure tank, ground mounted. Pressure is 61 psi. Has been since system was installed in 1968. Prior to that everyone had their own well. No one has ever complained about "excess" pressure. No one has ever had plumbing problems. You are able to run more than 1 sprinkler at a time in your yard. I know this for certain because I was the mayor for 16 years-up until we went rving. No one has ever complained about using too much water because of the pressure either. Why would I want less in my rv? By the way-we do not have water meters either. Every one pays the same amount per year=$220.

I still don't understand "use more water" When the glass is full it's full regardless of the pressure isn't it? Or have things changed because of covid?

I do agree with the accumulator tank. They work great!

Bill
Completely different world in an RV as you know given you start off with 100 gallons of water or so

At 60 psig with a 3/8 or as in my rig 1/2 inch line open you can drain that tank in just a few minutes

Tell me why you need the high pressure rather than volume?

In your town the key was volume not pressure

The problem arises when you open a tap and the 60 psig drops to 20 or whatever number

If you can maintain pressure with flow you are home free

It truly isn't about how high you can get the pressure

The reason many parks run high pressure is to maintain flow at lower pressures as their systems are poorly designed, usually with to small diameter pipes
Old 08-23-2020, 06:35 PM   #23

THOR #6903
If you fellows take a look at the discharge volume of 1/2 inch pex at given flow rates it will surprise you at how many gallons of water you use at various pressures

We have about 95 gallons usable water and sure as heck could empty the tank in a hurry with 70 psig

The government mandated flow restrictors and in some areas toilet flush volume are do to the high water consumption rates per capita

That is only going to get worse as good water becomes harder to come by

Cost of new infrastructure to treat water is going up dramatically as are water bills

If you live in a small town with plenty of cheap good quality water you are in the minority today
Old 08-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #24

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Some of us can tell apologetics from recommendations.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
However you see it, no matter what;
The glass is not meeting its full potential.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #26

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
However you see it, no matter what;
The glass is not meeting its full potential.
Sometimes pressure is necessary. Campgrounds with low pressure- I have used the water pump to increase flow for a shower. Only works if CG pressure is lower than the pump cutoff
Pensacola local pressure high enough to blow the end off of the blue water filters if you don't use a regulator.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #27
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
In 2015 we stayed at Parkview RV Park in Appomattox, VA. They warned us not to hook up unless we had a good pressure regulator. The county could not figure out what an RV park was and made them plum and pressurize the pipes to 200 psi. I said you mean 120 psi. No 200 psi. They thought it was going to be a mobile home park and so they were stuck with it at that time. I used my good pressure regulator, shut the water off and used my cheep one at the valve and the good one at the RV. I thought I would blow my hose! Only three other parks we have stayed at had high water pressure. they were 110 to 120 psi. Most have been 35 to 45 psi.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #28

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
Thanks for the info. I guess I have trouble figuring if the pump can only pump 3.0 gpm does the psi make a difference other than the higher pressure in the lines when the pump is not running. Thanks again
You nailed it
Old 08-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #29

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Hkw many of you actually have pressure guages installed on your discharge side of your water pumps?

If you don't have a Guage then you really don't know what happens when you use water

Not many I would wager

Turned out to be an interesting thread though
Old 08-26-2020, 07:56 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You can but why? 40 # is more then enough. Many people use 40# all their life at home. 55 will cause you to use more hot water. 55 will also cause you to use more FW if you boondock a lot. 40# is less pressure for leaks.
Questioning someone asking for help is "NOT HELPFUL"!!!!!! To answer the man correctly like another did, you have valves on every water outlet from the toilet, kitchen sink, bathroom sink and shower. I prefer a high pressure shower, my wife low pressure so guess what, we adjust it accordingly. I put in an Aqua-Jet variable rate water pump. Like when you turn on the sink and someone is taking a shower, it increases the water pressure to account for two valves being used. We love ours....Now there's an answer to a question, not a question to a question---Have a Nice Day; Bob Trice
Old 08-26-2020, 08:00 PM   #31

THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Completely different world in an RV as you know given you start off with 100 gallons of water or so

At 60 psig with a 3/8 or as in my rig 1/2 inch line open you can drain that tank in just a few minutes

Tell me why you need the high pressure rather than volume?

In your town the key was volume not pressure

The problem arises when you open a tap and the 60 psig drops to 20 or whatever number

If you can maintain pressure with flow you are home free

It truly isn't about how high you can get the pressure

The reason many parks run high pressure is to maintain flow at lower pressures as their systems are poorly designed, usually with to small diameter pipes
Why does this man need to tell you a damn thing?? He wants a answer to his question, not a lecture! Bob Trice
Old 08-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #32

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Questioning someone asking for help is "NOT HELPFUL"!!!!!! To answer the man correctly like another did, you have valves on every water outlet from the toilet, kitchen sink, bathroom sink and shower. I prefer a high pressure shower, my wife low pressure so guess what, we adjust it accordingly. I put in an Aqua-Jet variable rate water pump. Like when you turn on the sink and someone is taking a shower, it increases the water pressure to account for two valves being used. We love ours....Now there's an answer to a question, not a question to a question---Have a Nice Day; Bob Trice
Thank you for your smart ass'd answer. Not everyone owns a high dollar MH. Trailers do not come with shut off valves at every device. I have shut off valves on nothing. If you hang around long enough you will learn it is smart to put 50 # regulator on the RV to keep the poorly installed pex fittings from blowing apart and flooding the RV. Many have reported here about coming home to find water running out the door!! The pipe is rated 100#. the installation is not!!! Have a nice day Robert!
Old 08-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #33

THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Thank you for your smart ass'd answer. Not everyone owns a high dollar MH. Trailers do not come with shut off valves at every device. I have shut off valves on nothing. If you hang around long enough you will learn it is smart to put 50 # regulator on the RV to keep the poorly installed pex fittings from blowing apart and flooding the RV. Many have reported here about coming home to find water running out the door!! The pipe is rated 100#. the installation is not!!! Have a nice day Robert!
REALLY?? You can't be that stupid cavie. He wants to know about a different 12v pump, not water pressure from the street. If you can read then you should realize that. How do you turn on your shower, your kitchen faucet or a sink?? I'd agree you need a pressure regulator for city water or campgrounds where you don't know the pressure, but I've yet to know of ANY 12v pump that delivers more than 50 or even 60 psi. Go back to sleep man...
Old 08-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #34

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #16647
Check your screen at the pump

May or may not apply - I also had low pressure when using the pump, I found plastic in the screen at input side of the pump from where the manufacture had drilled the holes in the tank for the piping... Removed the plastic from the screen and have plenty of pressure, had to do this several times and finally have gotten all the plastic out of the tank!
Old 08-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #35

THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackzak View Post
May or may not apply - I also had low pressure when using the pump, I found plastic in the screen at input side of the pump from where the manufacture had drilled the holes in the tank for the piping... Removed the plastic from the screen and have plenty of pressure, had to do this several times and finally have gotten all the plastic out of the tank!

So did I. You'd think they would check that before they send it out but guess there QC is not what I would have had in place. Filter is always a good thing to check regularly. In fact, I'll go check mine right now since were leaving Friday for a 3 night quick trip to the mountains!!AVOIR
Old 08-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
So did I. You'd think they would check that before they send it out but guess there QC is not what I would have had in place. Filter is always a good thing to check regularly. In fact, I'll go check mine right now since were leaving Friday for a 3 night quick trip to the mountains!!AVOIR
The coach's plumbing is checked with air at the factory; then the system is winterized before going to the holding yard. Part of the dealer's pre-delivery checklist to de-winterize the coach and check all systems before selling.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:20 PM   #37

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
I also filled freshwater tank and opens 3inch drain a couple of times to flush out any plastic even though my tank didn't need to be drilled had several different size threaded plugs in the top.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #38

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
You are safe with a 55psi pump.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #39

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #16647
As 16ACE27 had mentioned, the government mandated flow restriction devices in the shower head - I bought a new shower head to try to increase pressure in the shower and noticed the restriction device in the new one, I removed it and have plenty of pressure; could have gotten away with removing the restricting device on the original shower head had I known...
Now I have plenty of flow coming out of the shower, actually cutting back flow with the shower facet when not hooked up to sewer to minimize amount going into the gray tank.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #40

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Here’s your answer

https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Pre-Pressurized-Accumulator-Tank

If you don’t have an accumulator tank, you’ve been missing out.
Adding this mod will make it seem like you have more pressure, while running the water almost like home.

I suggest that you try this first before you go to a higher rated pump.

I bought one of these, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, except the pump cycles repeatedly (fast).

Maybe it doesn't have enuf air pressure??