Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: LF31
State: California
THOR #10560
Axxera System

Just picked up our 2018 Thor Quantum which has a Axxera AVM70 installed. Unit has no sound in radio mode, We were told we needed a new one. We thought since it needed to be replaced we would like to upgrade to one with a CD player if we paid the additional cost. We were told by the dealership we couldn't, does this make sense. I am not sure if they meant it could not be done or they just would not do it. I researched units/companies (Crutchfield) that state they have rv units but don't guarantee the motorhome fit. Makes no sense to me. Any help would be great..

Old 01-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It’s just a regular “double DIN” radio so it should be easy to replace. Crutchfield is great and I’m sure their concern with fit is just that they don’t have a way to know how deep the available space is. You should be able to find the depth of the Axxera on line and get one the same from Crutchfield.

It would be unusual for a dealer or manufacturer to upgrade a warranty replacement. I’m sure that’s why they said they couldn’t do it.

I think you’ll have to decide whether you want to replace your radio or not. At your expense. If it was mine, I’d let the dealer replace the Axxera and decide later if I wanted to upgrade. You can sell a working Axxera but not a broken one. Good luck
Old 01-29-2018, 01:23 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
The dealer will get Thor to cover the cost of replacement ujnder warranty, and Thor will send another of the original, or similar if that one is no longer available. You'll have to decide if you are OK with a free Axxera, or if you want to pay the full cost of a replacement. Do a search on this forum for Axxera to see what some have done to replace theirs. It is a really small percentage who have switched to something else.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:07 AM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I replaced my Axxera with a Pioneer AVH-4100 NEX (There are newer models). I liked the fact that it has Apple's Car Play so I can easily listen to podcasts and Audible. The screen is a lot brighter and also tilts to eliminate glare. But the biggest selling point for me was a reticulated overlay for the backup camera. With that wide angle camera, it is difficult to judge distance.