Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37DT Challenger
State: Texas
THOR #328
Water stain on slide awning from air conditioning Condensation

I was up on my coach today and noticed what appears to be residual water staining from the front rooftop Air Conditioner. I've noticed that condensation typically falls in this area on the left side of the rig. However this new discovery (now that I've visited the rooftop) appears to be holding some water. Is there something that THOR left off to allow proper runoff on the slide awning fabric? Is this the nature of the beast? What about rain? Seems to me that over time this would eventually rot the tarp? I'm contacting customer service tomorrow.

Ed

Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
do you have some sort of rain gutters on there? If yes are they clogged or running free?
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Ed, I'm not sure that would necessarily have to be just from the AC.You must have gutters on your rig, so I can't hardly think the AC would run them over. Mine will show the same thing if there is rain and it sits on the slide cover for a period of time. When it rains, I will run the slide in a ways and the water that has puddled there runs off. Those awnings don't seem to be stretched very tight. They will sag with the smallest amount of water/weight, and water puddles on them.
Try leaning the rig away from it a little bit, or run it higher in front, which ever might help.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #4

State: Maryland
THOR #358
We just purchased a 2014 Hurricane and have the same problem. Our unit has an outdoor kitchen and when in use, it gets drenched from the a/c run off unit in the rear. Now the awning is drenched and looking pretty much like the picture above.

I confirmed with Thor that they do not use gutter rails on these units. I was originally told to move my jacks up 1/8th of an inch higher on the run off side so that the water would run off to the other side. Well, the other side has a full wall slide out and being the newbie that I am, I just wasn't comfortable doing that. I'm not that experienced. There is no indicator that can help me achieve such a minute measurement.

I called Thor again today and was told that the easiest fix was to run a bead of self-leveling silicone on the roof. It should be run about 8ft. from the end of the unit, towards the rear, wherever you want to divert the water to. I think I will give this a try. A friend told me that the roofs are made by Dicor and they make a silicone (self-leveling) caulk that would be perfect for this purpose.

The other option is a product called EZE Gutter system (Essential Products RV & Marine - EZE RV Gutters) which is made by 3M. It is a tape that comes with a peel off backing. It adheres right to the surface and has excellent reviews. It holds up well over time. If the silicone beading doesn't work, then this will be my next option.

I haven't found anything other after market gutter rail systems. If anyone knows a better way, please do share.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Ginger, if I read your post correctly, you were advised to run a bead of
(Dicor) along the edge of your roof line to try and divert the run off.
Just for your information----"Dicor self leveling", is what you would want to use if you choose to go this route.
Not just plain old silicone!!

If you want to try the leveling option first, then the easiest way I can explain it would be to tell you when you have your coach level, then just raise it on that side 1/4 to 1/2 bubble on your level gauges.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

THOR #358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Ginger, if I read your post correctly, you were advised to run a bead of
(Dicor) along the edge of your roof line to try and divert the run off.
Just for your information----"Dicor self leveling", is what you would want to use if you choose to go this route.
Not just plain old silicone!!

If you want to try the leveling option first, then the easiest way I can explain it would be to tell you when you have your coach level, then just raise it on that side 1/4 to 1/2 bubble on your level gauges.

I don't have any level gauges on my unit. I wish! That would make things so much easier, but unfortunately, our leveling system has none, just a pad with buttons.

My friend did indeed recommend the self leveling Dicor. My apologies if I wasn't clear on that. We are going to try it this weekend when we are all getting together to go camping.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
I would suggest getting a small bottle of rubbing alcohol and some rags. Clean the area before putting down any Dicor. Be aware---they call it self leveling for a reason. Maybe start with a small bead. After it dries,you can always go back and build it up with another bead.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #8

THOR #358
Thank you, Lloyd. Would you suggest I get the non-leveling kind?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
if no leveling devices, get your own level to use inside the camper when setting the coach to level.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Thank you, Lloyd. Would you suggest I get the non-leveling kind?
I'm not sure that the non leveling dicor is acceptable to use on your roof. Ask your dealer, or the rv place where you will be getting it from.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:00 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
I ordered a roll of the EZE Gutter but I can’t determine any place flat enough along the roof line to attach it. I have a 2014 Hurricane and want to stop the black streaks around the entire 28 foot of my rig, not just over the windows. Does anyone have suggestions?
Old 01-29-2018, 10:17 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
I am interested in how to stop this water running off the sides as well. Looking for suggestions. I am considering the EZE Gutter as well.