Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2021, 01:20 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
play the teens a game online

They got way faster moves. USAF has video games to recruit new people at air shows. I got in line once to play the game, a guy asked me how old I was, I told him, he said this is for recruits.. I get it, I have a cousin who is Top Gun now training navy pilots.
Move over, let them get the work done moving goods done that is needed..

I was a pretty good driver at 16. many years on a tractor or dirt bike before that.

You are in CA. As soon as they can unload those ships they can tax them. This looks like a good solution as opposed to training college grads..

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
These California High Schoolers Are Training to Drive 18-Wheelers
These California High Schoolers Are Training to Drive 18-Wheelers. https://report.drudgenow.com/article...1&pn=Anonymous

Old 10-10-2021, 01:29 AM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
He may agree…But they were not 18 years old. Jeez, is this even a discussion. With an 18 year old it’s almost a given they will be involved in an accident. Maybe not their fault but something that could have been prevented….with more experience.
And this is based on what verified study? I had two that went through the teens with no tickets and no accidents.

If someone doesn’t trust the truckers or other drivers on the road maybe they should find another form of transportation.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:46 AM   #23

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I know 18 year old log truck drivers. You are mistaking statistics for 18 year old party teenager's. Yes, younger is less experience but there agility and learning exceed. I do not worry about the ones coming at me and the most are passing me from the rear.

You can join the Army at 18 and drive a fighter jet or tank. The USA is screwed by logistics right now, why not employee the young guns! Def better then Mcd's money wize.. We trust CA choose wisely to the applicants.

I guess that is what was thinking.

I wanna go back to CA as soon as it stops burning up. I'll pay the $5 gallon, they got really nice stuff to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
And this is based on what verified study? I had two that went through the teens with no tickets and no accidents.

If someone doesn’t trust the truckers or other drivers on the road maybe they should find another form of transportation.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:11 AM   #24

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #12484
Quote:

2 teens that didn’t get tickets hardly exemplifies the risk younger inexperienced drivers have. Studies? Insurance companies don’t just make up their rates. Google it.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:21 AM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
So...
At 19 years of age
They have 125,000 miles of experience
Just like the 18 year old truck drivers
In

Nothing,
Nada
Zilch
Zero
Zip
Has changed in 100 years since the very day licenses were required(and a millennia before that.)

Why is this a conversation?
It's kinda weird.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #26

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Within 2 years we’ll have driverless tractor trailers running long haul. Not sure how fueling will be handled. But the thought of this scares me to death!
Old 10-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you maintain "Situational Awareness": you'll be just fine!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:40 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
These California High Schoolers Are Training to Drive 18-Wheelers
These California High Schoolers Are Training to Drive 18-Wheelers. https://report.drudgenow.com/article...1&pn=Anonymous
It's nothing new. I'm in my 60's but while in highschool, I attended a vocational satellite school where, while the rest of my girlfriends trained for Beauty School or Food Services, I took behind-the-wheel tractor-trailer driving. I was 17 at the time. Couldn't back around the pylons to save my life, but had a blast learning to drive those 18-wheelers. We were trained by retired truckers, but 50 years ago, the caliber of truckers was very different than today.
Had I stuck with it, I would have been an excellent truck driver, like my daddy. If nothing else, I can launch our boat like a Boss!
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #29

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
It's nothing new. I'm in my 60's but while in highschool, I attended a vocational satellite school where, while the rest of my girlfriends trained for Beauty School or Food Services, I took behind-the-wheel tractor-trailer driving. I was 17 at the time....!

I'm surprised they let you take the class as a girl.
I was allowed to take typing, but not shorthand.
Shorthand was girls only.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:30 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
With the supply shortages that apparently affect every sector oft he economy right now and is at least partially based on a truck driver shortage somebody has to haul our goods.

We just have to be even more vigilant while driving and look out for the other guy.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #31

State: Texas
THOR #22431
Quote:
[snipped]
If a teenager is old enough to vote or to die for their country they are definitely old enough to drive a truck or fly a plane for that matter.
I strongly disagree regarding driving a truck! The majority of 18-year-olds simply lack the maturity to handle the responsibility of driving commercially. Most people below the age of 25 have a firm conviction they are 9 feet tall and bulletproof!

Aside from the emotional aspects, most psychologists agree the brain does not physically mature until age 25 (on average.) Here's a good article. https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/0...lly-developed/

In my opinion, the minimum age for a commercial license ought to be 25.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:17 PM   #32

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Washington
THOR #23201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
3 weeks on the road and almost 4000 miles. Retired truck driver. The brotherhood of the road is gone. No consideration for anyone else on the road, avoided numerous accidents with beserk truck drivers all over the road and not able to hold their lane. Sigh, it sure is a shame. I miss the older days!
I agree. Retired truck driver also. 41 years of hauling hazardous materials. With the quality of drivers out there (at least on the west coast) I’m ashamed to tell people what I did.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:38 AM   #33

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDopp View Post
I strongly disagree regarding driving a truck! The majority of 18-year-olds simply lack the maturity to handle the responsibility of driving commercially. Most people below the age of 25 have a firm conviction they are 9 feet tall and bulletproof!

Aside from the emotional aspects, most psychologists agree the brain does not physically mature until age 25 (on average.) Here's a good article. https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/0...lly-developed/

In my opinion, the minimum age for a commercial license ought to be 25.
Yet a 21 year old person can be trained to fly an F-22 fighter or B-1 bomber? Choose the leader of the free world? Your point of view is troubling to me.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:15 AM   #34

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Yet a 21 year old person can be trained to fly an F-22 fighter or B-1 bomber? Choose the leader of the free world? Your point of view is troubling to me.
You make a great point. However, the military is just a tad more selective in who they let jump into the cockpit of a 300+ million dollar taxpayer-funded aircraft.

Maybe we're ignoring the elephant in the room here... could it be the training and selection of "appropriate" individuals?

Then... you DRASTICALLY cut the driver candidate pool to a trickle. So then you're back to "lowering the entry barrier" to increase the number of artificially eligible candidates.

The day we start doing this to increase the pool of brain surgeons - we are ALL in serious trouble.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:37 AM   #35

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
It's like to see less long haul trucks and more freight trains. Maybe this is the time to make the change?
Old 10-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #36

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
I haven't noticed a problem. (Dash cam in Atlanta last week) At 4mph a 12 year old could get a CDL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRUX.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	34355  
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #37

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I taught driver education for 18 years. Most of my students had no problem with basic driving skills, but inadequate experience, lack of common sense, and poor attitudes were an impediment to safe driving. It takes years of driving before in can benefit from experience.