Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2021, 11:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Alabama
THOR #11124
Exterior Grill Connection Vegas 25.6

Hello all,
I have a 2019 Vegas 25.6 and have never used the exterior grill quick connect. With my last unit, I connected it to a valve on the main propane tank. The first time I used my gas grill I almost blew myself up. Went back to the place I bought the grill from and said something is wrong, the whole grill caught on fire. He said “oh, you need a regulator”. Lesson learned and no more near death experiences. Anyway, my question is does the exterior grill quick connect have some type of regulator. Do I just connect and cook? Hoping to use it this weekend
Thanks,
Leila

Old 09-02-2021, 11:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Should already be low pressure and good to go.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:25 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Basically, when you talk gas supply and appliances, you have to know what is high pressure and what is low pressure. High pressure is what is in the tank: 1 Lb cylinder, 20 Lb cylinder, or mounted tank in your MH.

High pressure must be regulated to low pressure for use in most gas appliances including grills. The gas distribution system in any RV is at low pressure as the regulator is the first thing the gas hits coming out of a tank.

Most grills have their own regulators either built-in with the grill gas level knob or on the hose where it attaches to a 20 Lb tank.

Some grills are made specifically to connect to a low pressure source like the quick connect on your RV so they don't have a regulator, just a gas flow control and hose connection. It sounds like that is what you had before until you got a regulator for it.

What doesn't work is trying to connect a high pressure grill (one with its own regulator) to the RV quick connect which supplies already regulated, low pressure gas.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
My 2022 Vegas has an exterior propane connection. I bought the coach and drove home with generator running roof AC and such. I shut everything down once home (16 miles) and after a few minutes I smelled propane.

The coach had it's PDI performed and the propane was filled. Smelling propane I immediately shut off the propane tank and noticed it was only 1/2 full by this time.

Inspecting all the propane connections, I found the exterior propane quick disconnect supply hose connection barely finger tight. My brand new RV could have went up in flames before I even got to use it.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
My 2022 Vegas has an exterior propane connection. I bought the coach and drove home with generator running roof AC and such. I shut everything down once home (16 miles) and after a few minutes I smelled propane.

The coach had it's PDI performed and the propane was filled. Smelling propane I immediately shut off the propane tank and noticed it was only 1/2 full by this time.

Inspecting all the propane connections, I found the exterior propane quick disconnect supply hose connection barely finger tight. My brand new RV could have went up in flames before I even got to use it.
Does your coach have a separate small shutoff valve at the propane quick connect? If not you might consider having one installed. On my rig that valve must be turned off or you cannot attach or remove a grill hose.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Does your coach have a separate small shutoff valve at the propane quick connect? If not you might consider having one installed. On my rig that valve must be turned off or you cannot attach or remove a grill hose.
Sportcoupe's propane leakage sounds like a loose connection. Adding a valve would just add another connection. Admittedly he is relying on the quick connect ball sealing when disconnected and that may be why your coach has shutoff valve. Frankly I don't think it is necessary.

David
Old 09-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #7

THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
No, there is no factory shut off for my exterior propane port. I can only shut off the tank, that's it.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #8

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
This is what you should have on your quick connect.
If you don't, it can be found for under $13 on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z 71r7eq6CRlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	33316  
Old 09-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #9

THOR #21919
I can't edit my above post. I looked again after taylorbob posted picture. Mine is like that but it was hidden by the do not remove except by owner warning tags.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:11 PM   #10

Model: 2022 Vegas 25.6
State: California
THOR #24413
I have the opposite problem to what OP was reporting. Just tried external gas connection for the first time on my 2022 Vegas 25.6 with Coleman camping stove
https://www.coleman.com/camp-kitchen...000017463.html

Regulator that came with stove is external, designed for small propane bottles, so instead I used QC hose from Amazon which has correct mating ends.
Surprisingly the gas flow is way too low, barely keeping the flame going.
I suspect the gas line from distribution block to QC connect is obstructed, because all other gas appliances connected to same distribution block work fine.

Has anyone used the same stove with their MH gas connection?