Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2021, 11:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Are we safe with truckers now?

These California High Schoolers Are Training to Drive 18-Wheelers
These California High Schoolers Are Training to Drive 18-Wheelers. https://report.drudgenow.com/article...1&pn=Anonymous

Old 10-05-2021, 12:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Can't be any worse than some of the current "Professional Drivers."
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:16 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Can't be any worse than some of the current "Professional Drivers."
After a month on the road and 3700 miles I totally agree!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:16 AM   #4

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
After a month on the road and 3700 miles I totally agree!
Amen!
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:41 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #20184
3 weeks on the road and almost 4000 miles. Retired truck driver. The brotherhood of the road is gone. No consideration for anyone else on the road, avoided numerous accidents with beserk truck drivers all over the road and not able to hold their lane. Sigh, it sure is a shame. I miss the older days!
Old 10-05-2021, 01:44 AM   #6

State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Not a professional driver... but I remember back a LONG time ago this stupid 16 year old kid (who just got his driver's license) took the car out to the store on Christmas Eve. It stalled at an intersection... that "stupid kid" didn't check the fuel gauge before leaving home. ... Don't ask how I know this.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:03 AM   #7

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
These California High Schoolers Are Training to Drive 18-Wheelers
These California High Schoolers Are Training to Drive 18-Wheelers. https://report.drudgenow.com/article...1&pn=Anonymous
Why would you worry about H.S. students? Now who do you think was in charge of the teachers that were teaching these “new drivers” before they got in the rigs?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bad%20high...ncipals&ia=web
Old 10-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Hate to burst a bubble but I believe the elderly have more issues driving than teenagers. I also tend to experience more less than stellar folks driving motorhomes or pulling travel trailers and fifth wheels than I do driving trucks.

If a teenager is old enough to vote or to die for their country they are definitely old enough to drive a truck or fly a plane for that matter.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #9

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Hate to burst a bubble but I believe the elderly have more issues driving than teenagers. I also tend to experience more less than stellar folks driving motorhomes or pulling travel trailers and fifth wheels than I do driving trucks.

If a teenager is old enough to vote or to die for their country they are definitely old enough to drive a truck or fly a plane for that matter.
Hear, hear!
Old 10-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #10

State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Every time I'm out on the road/streets I witness countless (they usually appear to be well under 40 years old) paying more attention to their mobile device than eyes on the road. They stop at a red light and text/check Facebook, etc. It's a plague - kids addicted to social media driving in traffic. DO IT AT HOME! The daughter of a prominent news anchor in Columbus Ohio was killed this way several years back - she was texting.

I picked up a load of firewood this past weekend - about 2,000 pounds. I was navigating hilly, winding 2-lane roads with many blind crests averaging 45 - 50mph. I had a kid in a beater tailgating me most of the way... I even slowed in passing zones to let them pass... no dice! CLUELESS!! Had a deer ran across the road in front of me? To be fair, I had a 70+ year old lady take out my mailbox last year.

And following too closely... talk about a pandemic! Three car lengths OR LESS at 70mph? I get this in the motorhome all the time. I simply allow DOUBLE the distance in front of me to make up for the mindless idiot behind me. Driving up Interstate 71 through the middle of Columbus Ohio is like playing Russian Roulette - kids darting in and out of heavy traffic across four lanes to an exit!

Quote:
An analysis of the latest federal fatal traffic crash data found that a portion of Interstate 71 in Columbus ranked as the deadliest 5-mile stretch of roadway in Ohio during a three-year period.
A typical "older" driver generally drives slower - probably more cautious because of worse vision and slower reflexes. AND - they usually have learned from experience the hazards of "driving like you're bulletproof".

FROM AAA:
Quote:
The crash rate of drivers ages 16-17 years was nearly double that of drivers ages 18-19 and approximately 4.5 times that of drivers ages 30-39, 40-49, and 50-59 (Table 1). Drivers ages 60-69 had the lowest crash rate.
Insurance companies charge younger drivers more for a reason. They're inexperienced, and young male drivers are EXTREME risk takers before their mid-twenties. Ever see a 20 year old young lady drag racing on the freeway? Ever see a female motorcycle driver pass traffic at 80mph in a 45mph zone?

I am NOT in favor of "banning" mobile phones, or anything else for that matter. What I AM in favor of is MUCH stiffer penalties for IMPROPER USE - or ANY type of distracted driving... although it's nearly always a mobile device.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #11

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

Agree, I have no issue with truckers. I actually now have a better understanding of some of their techniques driving a momentum rig. It is a PITA following them on I 5 through central California elephant races. I also have a friend that is a trucker that provided me with a lot of tips and tricks prior to us buying our RV.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
I'm with you man, drove for several years. Glad I got out of it when I did.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:44 PM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
A lot of the drama you will experience negotiating other vehicles has to do with how you are driving. I've not had any major issues with truckers. I run 64 and keep well aware of whats changing in front and behind me as vehicles approach. The respect you show other drivers (truckers included) will directly influence the respect they have for you.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
A lot of the drama you will experience negotiating other vehicles has to do with how you are driving. I've not had any major issues with truckers. I run 64 and keep well aware of whats changing in front and behind me as vehicles approach. The respect you show other drivers (truckers included) will directly influence the respect they have for you.
Agree!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:44 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #11915
Driverless Trucks

This article from The Arizona Republic newspaper on July 2, 2020, explains the development of driverless trucks. The truck driver shortage is causing empty store shelves in many areas, so something has to change.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...es/3281064001/
Old 10-09-2021, 10:47 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
We will be reading more about this in the next year. Bank on it. 4500 miles in the last 6 weeks. Craziness, something has changed with the trucking community. I saw more trucks pulled off on the interstate side of the road for a rest than I’ve seen in 20 years. Not because rest areas were full but because they don’t know any better.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:49 PM   #17

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Think about all the 18 year olds who were Drafted and put behind the wheel of every vehicle the military had, crewed and maintained air craft and maned every kind of weapon system, I got a commercial license wile in high school, I worked for a equipment rental business, my employer was able to sign off on my ability to get behind the wheel of a small low bed, that was back in the 60s an thats all changed now. I did not have to do a drive test, only pass the written test, now you have to do a physical every 2 years and have endorsements for Air Brakes, more then one trailer, hazardous materials endorsement, school bus an ambulance, they also have to do a back ground check for the fuel truck and grease truck drivers, pass all that and you get your license.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:12 PM   #18

THOR #12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Think about all the 18 year olds who were Drafted and put behind the wheel of every vehicle the military had, crewed and maintained air craft and maned every kind of weapon system, I got a commercial license wile in high school, I worked for a equipment rental business, my employer was able to sign off on my ability to get behind the wheel of a small low bed, that was back in the 60s an thats all changed now. I did not have to do a drive test, only pass the written test, now you have to do a physical every 2 years and have endorsements for Air Brakes, more then one trailer, hazardous materials endorsement, school bus an ambulance, they also have to do a back ground check for the fuel truck and grease truck drivers, pass all that and you get your license.
I hear ya. After 25 years active duty I understand. Although they weren’t running on the interstate with families going to see gramma doing hop the next truck just because I can. We can re visit this in a year when the media makes it an issue after multiple fatalities. It’s coming. The trucking crisis makes it so.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:44 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
3 weeks on the road and almost 4000 miles. Retired truck driver. The brotherhood of the road is gone. No consideration for anyone else on the road, avoided numerous accidents with beserk truck drivers all over the road and not able to hold their lane. Sigh, it sure is a shame. I miss the older days!
I guess you mean the days when a trucker would run non-stop for days on speed and beer? The days with no DOT inspections and easily forged log books? I don't miss those days at all and at least these new drivers are being taught the basics and putting some miles under their belts. RV dealers sell these POS Thor products to anyone with a pulse and a good credit score. No thought on whether they can handle a 40 foot Class A or have enough truck to pull the rapidly falling apart trailer. Go back in time if you want to, but I stay right!
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:58 PM   #20

THOR #12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I guess you mean the days when a trucker would run non-stop for days on speed and beer? The days with no DOT inspections and easily forged log books? I don't miss those days at all and at least these new drivers are being taught the basics and putting some miles under their belts. RV dealers sell these POS Thor products to anyone with a pulse and a good credit score. No thought on whether they can handle a 40 foot Class A or have enough truck to pull the rapidly falling apart trailer. Go back in time if you want to, but I stay right!
He may agree…But they were not 18 years old. Jeez, is this even a discussion. With an 18 year old it’s almost a given they will be involved in an accident. Maybe not their fault but something that could have been prevented….with more experience.