Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 28Z
State: Colorado
THOR #6386
What are the differences in the Thor Class C Models

I recently purchased a used 2013 Class C Thor Freedom Elite 28Z. Later I discovered that Thor makes that same floorpan model in the Chateau and Four Winds also.

Wondering how the three "sub-brands" Chateau, Freedom Elite and Four Winds stack up as far as quality goes. Is there a hierarchy of trim levels that make one more desirable than the other, and presumably more costly?

Also, wondering whether Freedom Elite was bottom of the line and built for the rental RV market.

SpadGuy

USAF Retired
2013 Freedom Elite 28Z
Ford E-450
SpadGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:26 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
As I understand it, the Freedom Elite line is exclusive to Camping World (as in it's a "store brand"). Generally they are pretty basic models to keep the price down -and I suspect CW ordered hundreds of them and so got a good price. I have one and I'm very pleased with it. I don't see much difference with the comparable Four Winds models but the Chateaus seem to have a few upgrades like nicer cabinetry and solid surface counters instead of laminate. they cost quite a bit more though. Apparently all come off of the same assembly line and are fundamentally identical. At least that's what I've deduced.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:28 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Cost.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:39 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
The hierarchy is Quantum with the option for partial paint and high gloss cabinets, then the Chateau which is mostly just a fancy name, then the Four Winds, and last but by no means the least, Freedom Elite (Camping World).

For 2017 they came in identical floor plans and almost identical options with the primary exception being the Quantum. We went with Four Winds because we liked the fabric options and slate leather. We didn't like the high gloss cabinets in the Quantum. If you option them all out the same about the only difference is fabric patterns with the exception of the Quantum and it's paint options and high gloss cabinets.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:31 AM   #5

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
I have a 2014 28z, Freedom Elite. Over the 2 years that I've owned it I have looked at the other 28z's and can only determine trim as the differences. Of course the Chateau has the beautiful paint job but other than that it looks like upholstery and interior trim differences.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadGuy View Post
I recently purchased a used 2013 Class C Thor Freedom Elite 28Z. Later I discovered that Thor makes that same floorpan model in the Chateau and Four Winds also.

Wondering how the three "sub-brands" Chateau, Freedom Elite and Four Winds stack up as far as quality goes. Is there a hierarchy of trim levels that make one more desirable than the other, and presumably more costly?

Also, wondering whether Freedom Elite was bottom of the line and built for the rental RV market.

SpadGuy
RV manufacturers make different models, with identical floor plans, to be sold by different dealers in the same geographical location. Thor does this with the Four Winds and Chateau and Forest River does it with the Sunseeker and Forester. Example, in my area there are a number of RV dealers. One of them sells Sunseeker and Four Winds while the other sells Forester and Chateau. In the class A line one dealer sells Windsport and Axis while the other sells Hurricane and Vegas.

There may be cosmetic differences but the materials and workmanship are generally the same.

Freedom Elite is built for Camping World only and is not sold by other dealers unless it is used or they are owned by Camping World.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:15 AM   #7

State: California
THOR #8073
thank you for your comments. As a 2018 freedom elite FE30 owner, I think we purchased the right RV for our needs. Although after some really detailed digging (after we got the unit home), I have found some "really questionable" assembly items / (construction quality). I am hoping that the fundamental / cosmetic items will not lead to any long term problems.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:27 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 28Z
State: Colorado
THOR #6386
Quote:
Originally Posted by crenaissanceman View Post
thank you for your comments. As a 2018 freedom elite FE30 owner, I think we purchased the right RV for our needs. Although after some really detailed digging (after we got the unit home), I have found some "really questionable" assembly items / (construction quality). I am hoping that the fundamental / cosmetic items will not lead to any long term problems.
Thank you "crenaissanceman" and to all others who responded. It was as I suspected, there are cosmetic differences, but not huge ones. So far, we are pleased with the Freedom Elite, but the craftsmanship (or lack of same!) makes me wonder.

The sofa came loose from its moorings so I elected to drill holes through the floor and installed bolts with nuts to replace the screws into the floor that did not hold. That fixed that problem. There are quite a few other trim items that are suspect, but we are dealing with them as the need arises. We have partitioned the storage spaces beneath the dinette seats and the sofa to keep things in place. That helped a lot. I posted earlier to show what I did with my humongous storage bay in the rear of my 28Z and that also made it much more workable.

Safe travels to all,

SGuy

USAF Retired
2013 Freedom Elite 28Z
Ford E-450
SpadGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:31 AM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
as far as I can tell there really is no "quality hierarchy" at all.
Just different color options, different swoosh patterns, etc....