Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
What happens if I buy a Winnebago?

I recently encountered a bad experience with a deal falling through on a 2019 27B Windsport due to quality issues that the dealer could not commit to resolve.

Following some advice, I took my Thor blinders off and went to look at some other options for similar coaches.

The Baysport was obviously the better coach quality wise, but it lacks what I seek in fun or excitement. No outside TV, only 1 AC, no outdoor kitchen, no Firefly Controller or equivalent, the TV is in the cockpit of coach or on that Televator option so if up no window, or if down no TV, not to mention $25k more; so it is just not for me. I could buy a bad 27B and fix everything wrong for a lot less than that.

This brings me to Winnebago. I am now looking at Vista 29VE. Scattershooting a few thoughts and questions about what I have seen learned thus far.

General questions

1. Will I get booted off this site if I buy a Winnebago? If allowed to stay, is it a wink wink yes you can stay type response.
2. Is there a Winnebago forum like this?

Questions about Vista 29VE

1. About how much would it cost to add a Automatic Generator Starter? Not only is there no AGS, but no gauges to show voltage for Chassis or House batteries
2. I didn't see HDMI Switcher or DVD player? Can you hookup one Roku box in cabinets and direct it to one or all of the TVs in the coach? There is coax cable to all of the TVs now so maybe you can send a DVD /Roku signal through it without HDMI?
3. Anyone go from a coach that had dimming lights capability to a coach that only had switches? The firefly on 27B has that master light off and dimming. I kind of likes dimming light to give the coach atmosphere.
4. Anyone know of the automotive finish they taut for new 29VE? It looks really shiny and glossy. It is not regular gel coat and not full body paint. It will not glaze or powder from what the dealer said
5. No windshield fans? Is that relevant or not? I have never owned a coach so I don't think I would miss, but since it is in 27B is it a loss or is it possible Winnebago has defrost system in this coach and do not need?

Any thoughts appreciated.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Forget about being booted off the site: you're a member of our Family!
After all: your Thor got things rolling for you...
And I am also a member of the "s.o.b." club myself.
You might not get specific information on your new rig in here; but the basics still apply.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You say "quality issues the dealer could not commit to resolve" what kind of quality issues? Are they actual "quality issues" or are they design or material issues that you do not like? Have you talked to another dealer or only the one?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
One more thing: There might be a Winnebago forum: but it sure isn't full of the great folks that this one is!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Every coach manufacturer will have good and bad things said about them. They basically have the same equipment with options. The biggest thing is to find a dealership that you trust and will work with you. My first motor home was a Winnebago and I had a large list of issues with it the first 9 months. It was the dealership that gave me the most grief. It spent 9 months back and forth at the dealership before I had something that I trusted to work. Now I have a Thor and a dealership that I trust. I had only minor issues which were repaired quickly. Have fun and many new adventures once you decide which coach to buy.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
You say "quality issues the dealer could not commit to resolve" what kind of quality issues? Are they actual "quality issues" or are they design or material issues that you do not like? Have you talked to another dealer or only the one?

The details of that story is captured here, when I embarrassingly thought I had bought a coach.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...gin-19278.html

I have since concluded yes it was the dealer choice. I do not wish to name dealer because if the coach did not have the issues, I would have bought from that dealer. I have sent my entire list of pre PDI discovered items to others dealers (Thor & Winnebago) all of whom have confirmed that if those items existed on one of their new coaches, they would have committed to resolve before the actual purchase. Or, if they couldn't resolve, they would refund my money. This dealer would not, so I am trying to move forward on next RV.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My ags was 141 bucks and two wires on the generator. Pretty easy.

DVD is dead art. There is almost no reasonable reason to have a DVD player other than to salvage a past investment in a dead technology. It's like installing a cassette player to salvage a collection.

Download amazon and netflix movies on your phone or on a cast off outdated phone you'll use just for movies.

Roku plugs into any TV with a USB port, some are hdmi. Any TV in any modern rv will have USB and hdmi ports. Install seperate rokus on each TV. They're about 19 bucks to 60 bucks each. The 19 buck roku units work just fine and are the size of a thumb drive. Cables are outdated technology. No sense in running them everywhere to save 6 bucks net.

Dimmers are cheap and easy to install.

Dash fans? They make afertmarket clip on fans that run off of USB.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=USB+fan&ref=is_s

I don't know about the paint.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I recently encountered a bad experience with a deal falling through on a 2019 27B Windsport due to quality issues that the dealer could not commit to resolve.

Following some advice, I took my Thor blinders off and went to look at some other options for similar coaches.

The Baysport was obviously the better coach quality wise, but it lacks what I seek in fun or excitement. No outside TV, only 1 AC, no outdoor kitchen, no Firefly Controller or equivalent, the TV is in the cockpit of coach or on that Televator option so if up no window, or if down no TV, not to mention $25k more; so it is just not for me. I could buy a bad 27B and fix everything wrong for a lot less than that.

This brings me to Winnebago. I am now looking at Vista 29VE. Scattershooting a few thoughts and questions about what I have seen learned thus far.

General questions

1. Will I get booted off this site if I buy a Winnebago? If allowed to stay, is it a wink wink yes you can stay type response.

1. About how much would it cost to add a Automatic Generator Starter? Not only is there no AGS, but no gauges to show voltage for Chassis or House batteries
2. I didn't see HDMI Switcher or DVD player? Can you hookup one Roku box in cabinets and direct it to one or all of the TVs in the coach? There is coax cable to all of the TVs now so maybe you can send a DVD /Roku signal through it without HDMI?
3. Anyone go from a coach that had dimming lights capability to a coach that only had switches? The firefly on 27B has that master light off and dimming. I kind of likes dimming light to give the coach atmosphere.
4. Anyone know of the automotive finish they taut for new 29VE? It looks really shiny and glossy. It is not regular gel coat and not full body paint. It will not glaze or powder from what the dealer said
5. No windshield fans? Is that relevant or not? I have never owned a coach so I don't think I would miss, but since it is in 27B is it a loss or is it possible Winnebago has defrost system in this coach and do not need?

I traded my 2017 Freedom Elite for a 2017 Winnebago 29VE. I had the Winnebago for about 8 months before trading it straight up on a 2016 Fleetwood Storm 32V. Finally figured out what we wanted and now am very happy. This wonderful forum has not seemed to object to my wandering. And much of its value is universal and highly applicable. My Winnebago was a 2017 so maybe newer are different but in ours the dash radio was connected to the TVs for playing DVDs. It was certainly not a high end player but it did the job. I did not miss windshield fans but they’d be easy to add if you’re sure they would clear the drop down bed. My inside lights were very bright LEDs with no dimmer. It might have been nice but I never gave it a thought. Mine seemed to have a normal gel coat finish and, in fact, was beginning to show some fading as it was approaching it’s second birthday. I did have a few more quality issues with the Winnebago than I did with the Thor but none required any dealer or warranty work. I also had several leaks that my Thor and my Fleetwood haven’t experienced but that may just have been my unit. I think Winnebago generally has a better reputation than Thor and I’d rate them about the same based on my experience. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2019, 12:37 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
My ags was 141 bucks and two wires on the generator. Pretty easy.

Someone mentioned to me today they have Wireless units from Onan. I assume the one you are talking has controller in a lower bay or did you run it to the main wall with other switches.?

DVD is dead art. There is almost no reasonable reason to have a DVD player other than to salvage a past investment in a dead technology. It's like installing a cassette player to salvage a collection.
Yeah I am anything but reasonable. Lots of reasons for a DVD player. In fact unit I would buy would likely not only do DVD/CDs but also VHS. I will want all of the other things too, but in my $90k Man Cave I want all the dinosaurs and dead technology I can get. You talking to a guy that has 5 modern wax turntables that I just love to sit down and play Albums. (Even when the same Album is on my phone). 2 of my record players are USB. But I am glad I didn't ask about my 8 Track player

Roku plugs into any TV with a USB port, some are hdmi. Any TV in any modern rv will have USB and hdmi ports. Install seperate rokus on each TV. They're about 19 bucks to 60 bucks each. The 19 buck roku units work just fine and are the size of a thumb drive. Cables are outdated technology. No sense in running them everywhere to save 6 bucks net.

The context of this question is that the 2019 27B comes with HDMI Switcher installed. I can take one Roku and stream a movie and display on all 3 TVs. That is kind of convenient when moving around or watching a game when all of the TVS are at the exact same time or cadence. And Yes, I may also want a Roku on every TV in the event my wife wishes to stream one thing and I another. I can't say that the Vista 29VE doesn't do it, but if it does; it is somehow connected with how the Satellite is pre-wired? FWIW, I have 5 Ultra Rokus in the house and they run about $85 on sale on ebay. We stream YoutubeTV and Netflix and we are covered no matter where we go. I don't even need motion satellite as we can stream YouTubeTV from our phones while we moving down the road.

Dimmers are cheap and easy to install.

I will look into this, I may have to wait until warranty expires but there are few switches that would be awesome if dimming were possible.

Dash fans? They make afertmarket clip on fans that run off of USB.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=USB+fan&ref=is_s

Thanks

I don't know about the paint.

I guess the takeaway is that while it is not full body paint, it is some automotive finish that looks like auto paint and thus better than plain gel coat.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:15 AM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I have two new, one 1963 still in the box, and a 1971 new out of the box but super clean, reel to reel stereo multispeed players to offer as an easy trade.I just got rid of the laser disc and disc's, the first Gen ones.
Pics of another tuner and amp and horns are here.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28...run-18996.html
Also have a 1959ish Williamson 2020 amp and matching tuner for a more serious trade.

I don't care a thing about audio. It seems to Collect me.

Let me know. I'm a very easy trade.

My favorite console. The other is shown as a project in the link above. To me, they are just furniture props that can make noise. I'm as far from an audiophile as humanly practical.

Alexa is hooked into the aux Jack's on both consoles.
'echo, turn on stereo and play Samba music'
'ok' (though I don't here it say this because the tubes are still cold)
And the tubes start warming....

Slight hijack, but only to benefit the op.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171102_130440.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	20759  
Old 10-11-2019, 03:34 AM   #11

Model: SOB
THOR #3916
Quote:

General questions

..SOB owner here..(sob= some Other Brand)
Don't sweat the small stuff... there are quite a few that have went from a Thor Product to a totally different manufacturer & class of RV..

I stick around because there are those that are "newbie" owners of what we used to have..and their questions I may be able to help answer..

(our coach,, now 17 years young)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180506_125347.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	20760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181224_200642.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	20761  

Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
THOR #12434
The “Winnebago, Itaska Travelers” club is a real good club if you buy a new Winnebago, I believe first year is free.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
One things for sure... If you're an "S.O.B. owner": I'm glad that they don't treat us like this!

Old 10-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
..SOB owner here..(sob= some Other Brand)
Don't sweat the small stuff... there are quite a few that have went from a Thor Product to a totally different manufacturer & class of RV..

I stick around because there are those that are "newbie" owners of what we used to have..and their questions I may be able to help answer..

(our coach,, now 17 years young)
I never knew what the SOB stood for I always thought well you know the other guess. It makes since though; thanks for sharing

How long is your rig? Wow that thing is nice. Have you ever had it in 2 or 3 states at the same time?

Let me guess 6 miles / gallon, 4 ACs, 10k Generator? Makes my tent look like an ant mound
Old 10-12-2019, 12:32 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I have two new, one 1963 still in the box, and a 1971 new out of the box but super clean, reel to reel stereo multispeed players to offer as an easy trade.I just got rid of the laser disc and disc's, the first Gen ones.
Pics of another tuner and amp and horns are here.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28...run-18996.html
Also have a 1959ish Williamson 2020 amp and matching tuner for a more serious trade.

I don't care a thing about audio. It seems to Collect me.

Let me know. I'm a very easy trade.

My favorite console. The other is shown as a project in the link above. To me, they are just furniture props that can make noise. I'm as far from an audiophile as humanly practical.

Alexa is hooked into the aux Jack's on both consoles.
'echo, turn on stereo and play Samba music'
'ok' (though I don't here it say this because the tubes are still cold)
And the tubes start warming....

Slight hijack, but only to benefit the op.
Nice, glad to know that at least one other person does not use his phone for everything in life. I am guilty of wanting the 27B Windsport because of Firefly Controller so I can use phone to turn generator on/off, turn lights on/off and even to let out slides, bunks, and awning. You can go glamping in these new coaches and never get out of your captain chair the entire weekend
Old 10-12-2019, 05:12 AM   #16

Model: SOB
THOR #3916
Quote:
I never knew what the SOB stood for I always thought well you know the other guess. It makes since though; thanks for sharing

How long is your rig? Wow that thing is nice. Have you ever had it in 2 or 3 states at the same time?

Let me guess 6 miles / gallon, 4 ACs, 10k Generator? Makes my tent look like an ant mound
Umm...For us it will do.

If what You have meets your needs (not your "wants") and is dependable, don't knock it.
There are places you with your "ant mound" can easily get into and enjoy the sights, ..

Where as We cannot due to our length. weight, height, ground clearances or the turn radius...

The more complex and costly any piece of equipment is .. the higher (sometimes.. MUCH Higher) the cost of maintenance and repairs/upgrades.
And don't forget about additional costs of the licensing and sales taxes..

That said..
We "did without" and saved for nearly 41 years in order to purchase the coach for our retirement years..
40', 7 to 8.5 mpg, 12.5kw, Single slide, M-11 @ 500+ hp.
and yes, I have been to 4 corners NM/AZ/UT/CO.

Don't look back...You aren't going that way..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #17

State: Florida
THOR #4127
Thor Quality Issues!

Quote:

General questions

Buying a Thor any model, I guarantee you will have quality issues. Owned 2 north are junk! Painted leather seats and couch. Spongy floors. Water leaks everywhere!
Chase warranty claims forever.
Stick with Winnebago or higher quality coach. Your doing yourself a HUGE FAVOR!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #18

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
All motor home manufacturers have their issues. My first one was a Winnebago. I went with them because I THOUGHT they were higher quality and have been in the business a long time. I was wrong. It spent nearly 9 months back and forth to the dealer for quality control issues (sink faucet fell off into the galley sink, wiring done wrong in the fuse box, led lights kept burning out...) and list kept going. I then went with Thor and it was just the opposite. Only a few minor issues. So to say that one manufacturer is above another is simple an opinion of one person. The Winnebago I had was a 2016 that I bought in the summer of 2015. The Thor was a 2018 that I bought in March 2018.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to hear that your experience with Thor has been good!
Old 10-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #20

Model: Palazzo 36.2
State: Illinois
THOR #12796
Quote:

General questions

IRV2.com has areas for other Owner's groups. Other owner's groups have their own sites as well.

IRV2.com seems to be a good combined location.