Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
RV Insurance

I am retired but relatively young and you know I have too much time on my hands so part of my annual "let's save 50¢" routine is to scan my policy particulars into the computer then email it out to at least 10 agents and company's. Fun to see them fight over a bid for my business them try to justify their high cost when I tell them they are $200-$300-$600 higher than somebody else. Consequently SAFECO has all my motorized and home owners insurance.

2017 Thor Synergy 24tt with King bed and extra toys.
100/300/100 with $500 deductible. with towing/roadside $761.00 annually.

I bundle all the insurances our home, 3 vehicles, Harley, golf cart, Polaris UTV, cargo trailer, and the RV and make one payment up front to get the extra discount they offer for prepay. All insurance company's seem to have different rates for different locales so who knows.

Good luck finding the best rate for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safeco-Insurance-Logo-600x200[1].png
Views:	107
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	12696  

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #22

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Force_dude View Post
USAA partners with Progressive. Pay little under $500/year. Lots of variables from everyone else, but have a 2018 24’ FE in Alaska.
I signed up with USAA recently thinking I would get a better rate on insurances and savings/investments. WRONG!

I have exceptional credit
Never been sued for anything (no collections)
Have tons of equity in our home (almost paid off)
Live in an upscale exclusive area with virtually NO CRIME

USAA quoted me substantially higher on ALL my insurance needs, home, cars, RV, Harley, Polaris UTV everything was higher. I looked into savings accounts and investments and they were so much lower I would had to have been crazy to give them any funds.

It really turned me off on USAA. Here I thought as a veteran I would get better rates with USAA but I found out that's just not true.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:36 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
I signed up with USAA recently thinking I would get a better rate on insurances and savings/investments. WRONG!

I have exceptional credit
Never been sued for anything (no collections)
Have tons of equity in our home (almost paid off)
Live in an upscale exclusive area with virtually NO CRIME

USAA quoted me substantially higher on ALL my insurance needs, home, cars, RV, Harley, Polaris UTV everything was higher. I looked into savings accounts and investments and they were so much lower I would had to have been crazy to give them any funds.

It really turned me off on USAA. Here I thought as a veteran I would get better rates with USAA but I found out that's just not true.

Understood and I agree mostly. Usaa for me has been competitive for my 2 cars and house. After Ivan hurricane and the stories I heard from others i plan to stay. No problems with claims etc and they were significant. I was surprised when I tried to insure the new RV and that they now partner with someone else and I had been grandfathered for a while.

Now with progressive through Usaa and I am in the range of the lowest rates on this thread although not the lowest so I feel fairly comfortable with progressive.

Banking and savings???What a disappointment. Interest rates on savings, Ira etc are abysmal. I almost moved everything. But I moved all I had except insurance somewhere else and with what those rates pay more than makes up for any insurance rate difference. You are right. I’ve left so much on the table at Usaa banking. They are making a killing on savings and investments at our expense. Insurance only and even that is debatable.

Bill
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:53 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Safeco is the Company with the largest written premium volume in my Office!
Their prices always seem to be in the gray "acceptable" area...

But they really show their strong suit in handling claims!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:55 PM   #25

State: California
THOR #9612
I switched from allied/Nationwide to triple AAA on everything, saving about $800.00 ayear with AAA
Old 09-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #26

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatwate View Post
All our vehicles including the RV are insured with AAA. At least in Nebraska that requires us to have AAA Plus or some such thing to cover the RV. We have a 2016 A.C.E. and I think our annual premium is in the $300-500 range for the RV. We used the AAA Plus road service when we were about 25 miles from Omaha on the Interstate when one of the rear tires flew off & across all lanes & median of the interstate. AAA brought out a semi flatbed, loaded our Durango & camper on, & delivered it to the dealer in Omaha. We have been very happy with them.
I've been with AAA, SoCal, for over 30yrs, house and cars. They didn't even want to look at it and threw me a ridiculously high quote.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:30 AM   #27

THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
I've been with AAA, SoCal, for over 30yrs, house and cars. They didn't even want to look at it and threw me a ridiculously high quote.
I have a separate extended policy that cover what aaa doesnt, so they know I won't see them if I think there offer is to low
Old 09-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #28

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"Safeco is the Company with the largest written premium volume in my Office!

But they really show their strong suit in handling claims! "

We've been with them for over 25 years with everything except the RV's and our Florida house. Had a total loss house fire in 2001 and wife totaled her Cadillac in 2006. They were excellent with the claims and never had a single issue. They've been very good to us and I wouldn't change. Shopping around for insurance and changing every year for a few dollars is worse than thinking you're gonna win in Las Vegas. How long you've been with your insurance company goes a long way in the event of a major claim.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #29

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
I've used Progressive for my RV's and boats for years. Don't like the owner's politics (liberal Democrap) but their rates are generally a little below other companies and their service has been excellent on the couple of relatively minor claims I've had to file over the past few years.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #30

THOR #11130
"Don't like the owner's politics (liberal Democrap)"

I have Progressive on RV also...I'll stick it to them some day just before I change. You can't get away with being stupid all your life!!
Old 09-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
I have insurance thru Allied on our 2016 Thor Hurricane 35C a Nationwide company, with Camping World as the agent. Just received notification from CW that Allied will not b renewing any RV policies. Cost is around $1,000 per year with $500 deductible.

What insurers are other RV people using?

Well I shopped around a little with only companies with good history of paying claims fairly since the lowest price is not always the best choice. I decided on my local Erie Insurance agent. We have our cars, boats and home with Erie. A few minor claims over the years and always handled fairly and to my satisfaction. I was paying Allied (Nationwide) $1103 annually. Erie came in at $886 annually with the same coverage except my comprehensive deductible went from $500 to $100. Payed me to check my insurance options.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my original post.
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #32
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"Safeco is the Company with the largest written premium volume in my Office!

But they really show their strong suit in handling claims! "

We've been with them for over 25 years with everything except the RV's and our Florida house. Had a total loss house fire in 2001 and wife totaled her Cadillac in 2006. They were excellent with the claims and never had a single issue. They've been very good to us and I wouldn't change. Shopping around for insurance and changing every year for a few dollars is worse than thinking you're gonna win in Las Vegas. How long you've been with your insurance company goes a long way in the event of a major claim.
Had Safeco for a few years now with the RV... Just got the renewal notice - over last 2 years a 40% increase in premiums with no claims, clean record, excellent credit. Time to shop around again...
I went to Safeco when National General pulled the same game a few years ago.

How long you've been with an insurance company? Means nothing in my experience...
  • 20+ years with State Farm for almost everything. 2 SMALL claims in last 2 year period on the house - and they wouldn't even quote a home policy when we moved... Will say I had no issue getting the claims paid, but then dropped.
  • Less than a year with USAA for cars - and they paid a full loss comprehensive claim on one auto - and covered medical on a non-chargeable accident where charged driver had insufficient coverage (final settlement pending - but no issues so far.)
    Virtually no issues - and no rate increases (neither of those claims are considered 'chargeable'...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #33

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
I got a policy from Farmers/Foremost for nearly half of what GoodSam quoted. 700 a year.
GoodSam gave me an estament of 700 and then found a speeding ticket on my record and doubled their quote to 1400.
Not on my watch!
but just like any company - they first gave you a basic quote - they don’t know what’s on your driving record until you WANT them to give you a final quote - they can’t run that personal data until you allow them to ... so, it WAS ‘on your watch’, as you say : /
Old 09-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #34

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Had Safeco for a few years now with the RV... Just got the renewal notice - over last 2 years a 40% increase in premiums with no claims, clean record, excellent credit. Time to shop around again...
I went to Safeco when National General pulled the same game...[/LIST]
well, no company is out to lose money, or customers - if they had a rate increase, it’s because it was needed - there’s no ‘game’ involved.
Every company experiences the same requirements from time to time.
Groceries and fuel don’t still cost the same as years ago, either. You’re always welcomed, and encouraged, to shop every year for your insurance.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #35

THOR #6280
Im Greedy too I want to keep my money!

Insurance company's are in business to make money we all know that. Just also know that too many claims in view of "dollars" within a geographical region, age group, RV type or even storms causing loss are all reasons for an insurance outfit to raise your rates. Additionally their own expansion and new market plans can also be cause for rate increases to finance their plans without dipping into stock holder profits. It's all a shift the money game and that's ok you can play too.

Every year with all insurance renewals look at them just don't pay and shove it in a drawer.

At least every two years send out all your insurance needs for a quote. I promise you will get the best rates and even save if you take this advise.

Remember how to determine value. You can sell anything for exactly as high as someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #36

THOR #11130
I'm not an insurance agent but will say this on behalf of the companies. I feel they do try to transfer the cost in the direction on the highest risk...one example is people with irresponsible credit and bad driving records. People that can't handle money can't efficiently handle much of anything else either. Another is storm prone areas. Most homes "on the beach" now cover the biggest part of the risk from those just having a home "near the beach", since they will most likely suffer the most damage. Homeowners "on the beach" now fall under a separate rate schedule and most insurance companies only cover up to 50% of damages. It is good to shop every 2 or 3 years...we have, but haven't found better rates...both of us with perfect credit and clean driving records. Maybe that's why. If there's "gray water" in your profile it may be different.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That tactic can possibly backfire on you...
You end up never having a track record, that an Agent can point to; when arguing with the Company on your behalf...
Miss a payment or have a claim: see how hard your brand new Agent doesn't fight for you.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #38

THOR #11130
Correct...and don't think for a second that agents don't have influence on the outcome!!!
Old 09-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thank you...
I once managed to save an account that had been cancelled for non-payment for almost an entire Month.
The Insured had taken a new job, and was travelling a whole lot more than he had... His new Bride was still unaware of what was due, and when...
If I hadn't known him and his family for over thirty years: I would have had no idea of his work ethic, and prior payment history.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #40

THOR #11130
And then, down he goes with a hit on his record with a cancellation for non-pay!! One of those categories I spoke of earlier...higher rates!