Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
With cars becoming smaller and electric I think the days of huge numbers of RV sales will soon be on the decline. RV parks that invest in the cabin style camping will become more popular.

If I were 30 years younger I believe I would invest in small comfortable cabins in wilderness settings reachable by mass transportation and short rental car drives. All solar powered of course.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #42

State: Nevada
THOR #10325
I have a few Millennnials

I have a few Millennials, they are called grand children and guess what? They are people, as they grow older they will want the same things we the older generations want and need so all I can say about the manufacturers accommodating the Millennials is BullXhit. The engineers will work with what is selling, do the surveys and modify working with information they gather. Smaller higher quality HAH. Lets look at all generations and remember we all love Quality and SIZE DOES MATTER. Ask my wife she Required 1.5 Bathrooms. Got kids????? Go ahead buy a smaller Rig. Regrets that is what they will bring in their baggage along the road through life. Ok Enjoy life and move on.......HAH>>>>> :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Interesting opinions on what millennials want in an RV:

Start with better design

Build smaller

Focus on quality

Look to Europe

Provide more gear storage

Etc....

https://www.curbed.com/2019/5/31/186...e-camping-tips

I have a hard time thinking that what millennials want is all that different from many others in different age groups. Additionally, not everyone within an age group wants the same, including millennials.

Some of the article seems superficial, but a lot of it resonates with me. Who doesn’t want a smaller, higher quality, more functional and elegant RV that is nice to look at?

What do you think? Are millennials and what they want from an RV really that different? According to Thor CEO millennials will be a significant group of buyers within 5 years, and Thor must adjust.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:21 AM   #43

State: Ohio
THOR #7927
My two cents. The oldest Millennial is 38. IMHO I would say that the oldest Millennial is about 10-15 years away from buying any type of motor home and that is assuming they have the money. We need to be honest with ourselves and understand that Boomers are financially better off than either their parents or their children. I do agree that for the price the current quality of motor home is shoddy. It reminds me of American cars just prior to the Japanese invasion that kicked the American car maker’s butt in quality.

There will be fewer Millennials in the future that will be able to afford a motor home purchase, but those that will be able will certainly demand higher quality than what us Boomers have settled for.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:47 AM   #44

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I don’t think millennials are all that different as human beings go, but the amount and speed of information and communication is so different than when older RVers (baby boomers) were their age that they want different things.

I’m not judging whether it’s better or not to seek adventure rather than sit comfortably in a large RV parked in a crowded campground, but I do think that if you’re planning to go to remote locations, you might want to reconsider bringing along a 40~45 foot diesel pusher. Downsizing (perhaps a lot of downsizing) may be necessary.

When I see pictures like this, it makes me want to do the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96930F90-93C1-454E-A089-E4564C18FD39.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	18018  
Old 06-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #45

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
You are all forgetting one thing. Millennials will one day be just like us. As we grew older and discovered there was on utopia, free or unicorns so too will they. Sure it my take them longer but they will eventually experience through real life that it will not be the peace, love, party fest they envisioned but work, sacrifice and commitment that builds a prosperous life. They will just get their gig started late, screwed up and do a few restarts. They will come around, every generation has. Bob's got the most correct answer as the what RV they want. They want the one mom and dad buys for them FREE.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #46
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree with your assessment: they are doomed to be just like us!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #47

State: Texas
THOR #2121
In fairness to millennials, I would have taken a free motorhome also; except my parents were too poor to even buy themselves one. Before my (boomer) generation, owning a motorhome was a real luxury.

Regarding millennials’ interest in smaller RVs, in my opinion it’s just getting back to normal after we boomers “supersized” RVs, just like we supersized houses, meals, etc. I think the pendulum is just swinging back a bit in opposite direction, and is nothing to get alarmed about.

Checking out PPL once in a while, I’m occasionally reminded that typical motorhomes of just 25 years ago were much smaller, and could pass for a small Axis-size today. They look tiny by comparison. With modern design and technology that size could be even more spacious and comfortable. Just saying that millennials wanting smaller rigs isn’t that strange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4AAB7EA8-DD04-4EA1-BD31-44C6D087AE76.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	18024  
Old 06-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Nothing is more expensive; than something that is "Free".
It costs you:
a sense of accomplishment
a sense of pride in what you can buy for yourself
a sense of duty to the giver of the RV
Since the RV cost noting: it has no real value to you

I figured out a long time ago; that I can't afford the best of everything: but I can afford to buy what I really want!
Old 06-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #49

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I couldn't agree more. I've stated it here in the past that this generation has no desire to 'adult'. They don't buy cars; they Uber... they don't buy homes; they rent (no insurance payments on either)... they don't marry and have a family; they shack up and get a dog. "Responsibility" is a thing of the past... OUR generations past.

You’ve got that right! It’s a brave new world....
Old 06-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #50

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree with your assessment: they are doomed to be just like us!

I don’t suppose that’s a good thing....!
Old 06-09-2019, 05:06 PM   #51
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
At least we can rest safe: knowing that they'll also be grumbling about "The Youth of Today..."
Old 06-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #52
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Who doesn't want a free RV? (come on now! You'd take one if it was offered)

Speaking of free--yeah I know I've posted this before but it is relevant LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #53

State: Nevada
THOR #10325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I agree with most of what you say..... Except elimainating propane. Propane is cheap and clean burning. I love using propane for my frig and stove. Plus its much cheaper than solar and the extra batteries needed to run stuff without propane. Not to mention lighter than 4 or 6 batteries and panels etc.

Sure I would love to be more "Green" but IMO we are not there yet. As battieries get better, cheaper, and lighter they will trickle down the the RV's then we can eliminate propane (Perhaps even the engine and replace with electic motor).

Everyone likes the big windows and skylights but they come at a price of efficiency. But using the cermic tint on all my windows (including the Windsheild) helps greatly.
Propane, electric and Gasoline all pollute. In 500 years if we were to cut all use of fossil fuels the world will still end due to the earths normal cycles. The impact may speed things up but keep in mind as weather patterns and climate changes the earth will cleanse itself no matter what we do so relocate to the environment that fits your needs and deal with the changes. So we go green and the rest of the world continues. The impact of a small group might make a change but in the long term do we actually make a difference? Millennials may think we can make a difference. It is all well and good that we make wind mills that produce clean energy but the carbon produced to manufacture those windmills and solar panels can run 50 to 100 years worth of carbon, then how much carbon is created to maintain and replace the devices???? Any modification will be null and void when forest fires spew out carbon, Volcano's. Car, Trucks, RV's account for a minimal contribution compared to natural occurring events. Live life, enjoy it, modify adopt and be happy. Thew RV manufacturers are going to target who ever keeps them alive.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #54

Model: Quantum RW28
State: Florida
THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Sure its called a TARDIS (geek joke ).
Perfect analogy Jamiegeek!

Jeff
Old 06-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #55

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6418
I was reading the other day about why Millennials live with parents or room mates and are not getting married. The article said that they cannot afford anything else. Their net worth is about $8,000 on average, down 34% from 10-15 years ago. They are not buying RVs for the same reason. Remember, real wages have not gone up since the 60's. Inflation has more than made up for wages going up.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote