Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2022, 05:28 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
According to the reviews on Amazon, Kimat is not recommended in/around the engine compartment.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #42
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
I think it makes more sense what you said in Post #10...that way the sound deadening material is not being exposed to the heat.

I read that you did some modifications, and you provided a link, but I'll be dang if I can find it.
Post # 10 is just a quote of post #4. My Dynamat is on the outside and has suffered no ill effects from engine heat.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:40 PM   #43

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
So, is this material exposed to the elements? If so, I would think the adhesive would come lose.
Yes, it is. Just on top of the front wheels.
I have gotten really hot days and a lot of rain and no problem so far.
The adhesive is a beast.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:06 PM   #44
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Thread were I used both Dynamat Extreme and Dynamat Hoodliner in the doghouse of the Challenger

Never had an issue

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/sound-deadening-challenger-let-project-begin-1515-3.html
Old 09-27-2022, 03:45 PM   #45

THOR #3923
Thanks ACE, RA, EA...

I kept reading about people putting it under or on top of something, and I was thinking I must be missing something as it would be exposed to the elements and end up coming off. You guys cleared that up!
Old 09-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #46

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Thread were I used both Dynamat Extreme and Dynamat Hoodliner in the doghouse of the Challenger

Never had an issue

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...in-1515-3.html
After doing a lot of research - reading as much as I could find on this forum, iRV2, reading about the different material (asphalt, butyl, foam), what you did is the conclusion I was coming to. Only one slight difference, and that is my OEM heat shielding is in good shape...I was planning on putting that back on as the 3rd layer for extra heat protection.

Sure, it might be more expensive to go with Dynamat, but this is a job that you really only want to do once without worrying about it later.

On top of that...I got this email this morning from Dynamat Technical Support.

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

I recommend two products for the engine side of the doghouse on your Motorhome: Xtreme and Hoodliner.

First, install the Xtreme. This product will damp any vibrations/resonations in steel, fiberglass, or wood panels to reduce structure borne noise.

Over the Xtreme, install our Hoodliner. Hoodliner is a 3/4 inch thick, peel and stick, acoustical foam with an aluminized Mylar face that will help to reduce airborne engine noise and heat.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Dynamat Technical Support Team

Old 09-29-2022, 11:23 PM   #47

THOR #3923
Question for those that have installed the Dynamat...

After taking off the OEM heat shielding, there is a glue residue on the doghouse. Getting this off is a pain and I was just wondering if people left it on for additional adhesion or perhaps the Dynamat might not stick to it.
As they say when painting...if you don't have a good surface, doesn't matter how good the paint is...it can peel off.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:23 AM   #48

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Question for those that have installed the Dynamat...

After taking off the OEM heat shielding, there is a glue residue on the doghouse. Getting this off is a pain and I was just wondering if people left it on for additional adhesion or perhaps the Dynamat might not stick to it.
As they say when painting...if you don't have a good surface, doesn't matter how good the paint is...it can peel off.
Glue is glue in this case. I just cleaned it up a little and stuck the Kilmat on. It sure isn't coming loose... Once you stick it on it isn't peeling off. You're overthinking it...
Old 09-30-2022, 01:13 AM   #49

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Glue is glue in this case. I just cleaned it up a little and stuck the Kilmat on. It sure isn't coming loose... Once you stick it on it isn't peeling off. You're overthinking it...
Wouldn't be the first time I have been accused of over thinking stuff.

Probably what I should have done (what you did)...but I'd hate to put this on only to have it come off. I wasn't sure if anyone was going to respond, and instead of installing it and people telling me "you have to remove the OEM adhesive", I just went at it.

I'm hoping what I did, will save others some time.

First of all I used some Berryman's carb cleaner spray...that just turned it into a bunch of goo. I used a razor blade scraper (on edge) to scrape it off. More waste of time.

Then I tired, lacquer thinner...that just made more goo

Then I tried "Goo Gone"....just smeared it...made more of a mess an nothing would stick to it...it's like putting oil on everything.

Then I tried acetone...just more goo

Then what I did, was sprinkle dish soap all over it and then used my pressure washer and that knocked all the goo off.

I think softening it up with whatever, then hitting it with soap and the pressure washer does the trick. I'm not sure if just soap and the pressure washer would have removed the adhesive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dghouse.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	39619
Old 09-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #50

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Sounds like a friend of mine that bought a travel trailer, first time out and a bottle of ketchup blew-up. The inside looked like a horror scene from "Friday the 13th". What a mess...but I couldn't stop laughing. Him and his wife didn't think it was so funny, which made it even funnier!!

I didn't think of the microwave...and we have that glass disc that spins...good idea!!
How does a bottle of ketchup “blow up”?
Old 09-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #51

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:
After doing a lot of research - reading as much as I could find on this forum, iRV2, reading about the different material (asphalt, butyl, foam), what you did is the conclusion I was coming to. Only one slight difference, and that is my OEM heat shielding is in good shape...I was planning on putting that back on as the 3rd layer for extra heat protection.

Sure, it might be more expensive to go with Dynamat, but this is a job that you really only want to do once without worrying about it later.

On top of that...I got this email this morning from Dynamat Technical Support.

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

I recommend two products for the engine side of the doghouse on your Motorhome: Xtreme and Hoodliner.

First, install the Xtreme. This product will damp any vibrations/resonations in steel, fiberglass, or wood panels to reduce structure borne noise.

Over the Xtreme, install our Hoodliner. Hoodliner is a 3/4 inch thick, peel and stick, acoustical foam with an aluminized Mylar face that will help to reduce airborne engine noise and heat.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Dynamat Technical Support Team

This is exactly what I did...I was going to put my factory heat shield back on as a 3rd layer but it wouldn't fit with the dynamat and hoodliner. It's been on there for 6000 miles now.

I still have some additional amazon basics dynamat to put on the doors, I just haven't gotten to yet, but overall I did the floor of the cab, and doghouse in my class C. It's much better.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:03 PM   #52

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
How does a bottle of ketchup “blow up”?
Change in altitude.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:18 PM   #53

THOR #3923
One thing I did discover when I removed the doghouse was so rat/mouse turds on the engine. Not many but one would be too much.
I hosed it off.

I then did a lot of research on how to make sure they don't come back...and I read a lot of mix reviews...and one professional exterminator said that none of the tricks work (peppermint, laundry tissues, etc)....he said good old mouse/rat trap or bucket with water and a "walk the plank" top. Then there are those that say peppermint did work. I put some mouse traps on top of the engine last night...haven't checked.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #54

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:
One thing I did discover when I removed the doghouse was so rat/mouse turds on the engine. Not many but one would be too much.
I hosed it off.

I then did a lot of research on how to make sure they don't come back...and I read a lot of mix reviews...and one professional exterminator said that none of the tricks work (peppermint, laundry tissues, etc)....he said good old mouse/rat trap or bucket with water and a "walk the plank" top. Then there are those that say peppermint did work. I put some mouse traps on top of the engine last night...haven't checked.
Don't forget to remove them before you drive away...I can see that getting hot and catching on fire!
Old 09-30-2022, 02:40 PM   #55

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmac450 View Post
Don't forget to remove them before you drive away...I can see that getting hot and catching on fire!
I cleaned the engine - hosed it off.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #56

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
I cleaned the engine - hosed it off.
He probably means the wooden traps would catch fire, NOT the mouse turds... silly!!

But hey... ANYTHING'S possible!
Old 09-30-2022, 02:59 PM   #57

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
He probably means the wooden traps would catch fire, NOT the mouse turds... silly!!

But hey... ANYTHING'S possible!
I thought he was thinking that the mice/rats perhaps were living in the engine compartment and had made a nest. While researching online in how to rid them, I saw some pretty big nests...those certainly would be a fire hazard.

Would be pretty hard to leave the traps as they are sitting right on top of the engine and the cover is currently off as I'm putting the Dynamat on. But like you said...anything is possible!
Old 10-01-2022, 10:25 PM   #58

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Alabama
THOR #20803
Dynamat

Dynamat from Amazon. Though a gas burner sure helped some. Wife checks rattles as we roll and finds the problem, secures or moves the object(s) to the bathroom. When we stop, we evaluate if we need it, store outside, if not toss it. The driv ers side outside "fender" rattled last Dec, discovered the screws had corroded and were holding. Used spray flex and three wood screws, rattled/flopping cured.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:53 PM   #59

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
I'd like to know what people have done to decrease the sound inside the coach.

I have a 29M and when I'm driving down a Hwy that isn't in great shape, the coach sounds like it is going to fall apart because it's so noisy.

The cabinets above the windshield rattled like crazy so I put some felt sick-on's and that solved that problem. Then I have the bedroom and bath doors...they rattle like crazy.

I did take off the engine cover (well not completely), an felt the underside...I could tell there was insulation there, so I just closed that back up.

I have been thinking of perhaps putting carpet around the cab (seats/engine) thinking perhaps that would quiet the road noise. And if it got dirty, I could just lift it out and shake it out.

If you made some sound improvements when it comes to noise, I'd like to hear them.
I have a 2018 Windsport 29m and one of the first things I did was insulate the dog-house. It was loud and would get hot!!! I got a product, don't remember the name, but had enough to line the underneath 3 times. It mad a huge difference. Also, have your wife find any doors, cabinets or anything making noise then address it. I use little rubber stick-on bumpers or whatever will make it quiet. The screen door was rattling and that made a BIG diff. Good Luck; Bob Trice---------PS; new shocks also helped!!!!
Old 10-02-2022, 03:34 AM   #60

Model: Hurrican 34J
State: Texas
THOR #4107
Noise reduction on F53 chassis

last year I removed the carpet in the front of our Hurricane and install Thermo-Tec Acoustical and Heat Control Mats to cover all way from the firewall to the drop behind the front seats. then added new carpet padding high density and a new carpet. Also did the same, minus the carpet path on the Doghouse.

From the outside under the same area I spayed DEI Hi-Temp Silicone coating ( 2 coats to reduce heat transfer to thru the floor and seal the floor to reduce air-leak noise.

We achieve a noticeable reduction in noise. while it not as quiet as a car or SUV it was a great improvement over factory conditions.

We also tested around all the windows, door, mirrors, roof lights and antena with compressed air blasts to find and other air-leak areas an used clear FlexSeal silicone gel (FlexShot)

finally we added EasyLine or skid preventing match in all cabinets and even cut out some square to place between plates, pots and pans.

It never ends, but there is a lot less noise now.